ADVERTISEMENT

Michigan State Players can transfer within 30 days from Head Coach Mel Tucker firing at Michigan State, Any players you think that Rutgers might want?

RCBeta79

Junior
Jun 7, 2013
Apparently, there is an NCAA Rule that Michigan State Players can transfer within 30 days from Head Coach Mel Tucker firing at Michigan State.
Any players you think that Rutgers might want?

Apparently, there is an NCAA Rule that Michigan State Players can transfer within 30 days from Head Coach Mel Tucker firing at Michigan State.
Any players you think that Rutgers might want?
Vandemark comes to mind.

Who was the NJ recruit who trolled Rutgers hard durin this recruitment and was actively posting videos and telling other recruits to ABR ? Didn’t that guy go to MSU ?

Anyone else think this is pretty unfair to the student athletes, given that it comes at a mid-semester time that would be much more disruptive to them?

If the NCAA cared about academics half as much as they claim to, the rule would be that the 30 day transfer window opened after the last day of classes for the semester the coach was fired in.

I have to imagine the NCAA did not anticipate mid season firings with this rule. I also wouldn’t expect a university to accept students midway through a semester. Best case they put in their paperwork to transfer for January.

They have 30 days to enter the transfer portal, not 30 days to leave. This is absolutely a good rule because it will let these kids get into another college for the next semester.

They have 30 days to enter the transfer portal, not 30 days to leave. This is absolutely a good rule because it will let these kids get into another college for the next semester.

That is much better than how the article I originally read portrayed the rule.

I was originally thinking many would go into the portal, but now not sure. I saw an article that the MSU roster is currently loaded with transfers. With the NCAA cracking down on the 2-time transfer exemptions, those guys will think hard about leaving.

Also I was thinking many players would stop playing this year to save eligibility. I now realize that only works for guys that never had a RS season

Reactions: Morrischiano
I think it was a O-line recruit that was acting malicious towards RU and trying to steal/ sway recruits to MSU from RU
Believe you are thinking of Kevin Wigenton. Not sure if malicious is right word for a recruit who was never offered by Rutgers to try and flip others

Believe you are thinking of Kevin Wigenton. Not sure if malicious is right word for a recruit who was never offered by Rutgers to try and flip others
Recruiting against Rutgers = pure evil.

Just a couple of examples:

Example 1. A Jersey kid that Rutgers coveted, who flirted with RU and then recruited kids to go to Penn State at Rutgers Junior Day = pure evil.

Example 2. A kid from Connecticut that wanted to come to RU but was never offered trying to convince his best friend to come with him to play at UConn = pure evil.

Example 3. Spouse of a recruit from Alabama, and mother of the recruits child, who is a student at Alabama trying to convince a recruit to stay in Alabama = somewhat evil.

Anyone else think this is pretty unfair to the student athletes, given that it comes at a mid-semester time that would be much more disruptive to them?

If the NCAA cared about academics half as much as they claim to, the rule would be that the 30 day transfer window opened after the last day of classes for the semester the coach was fired in.
It's pretty unfair to the student athletes at MSU that their administration failed to vet a coach that was a serial masturbator who sexually harassed a rape victim. Or a doctor that was assaulting girls barely out of their teens.

Reactions: Kbee3

Wigenton said Schiano wanted him to commit on the spot.

“Not a lot of people know this,” he said, “but the new staff came in and asked if I was ready to commit if they’d offer a scholarship that day. If not, they didn’t want to get involved. I didn’t like that. I just didn’t get a good vibe from the Rutgers staff.

“When he got hired, they got eight commits pretty fast. He was just searching around looking for players ready to commit. If you weren’t ready, he didn’t want to get involved. I didn’t like that, but it is what it is.”

Smith said Schiano’s crew thought Wigenton was a valuable prospect but wasn’t the right fit.
“At the end of the day, they’re very careful with the Jersey kids,” Smith said. “When the new staff came in, the offensive line filled up a little bit. They’re looking for pure tackles, kids that have played the position. They had a specific body type they were looking for.”

Example 1. A Jersey kid that Rutgers coveted, who flirted with RU and then recruited kids to go to Penn State at Rutgers Junior Day = pure evil.

Example 2. A kid from Connecticut that wanted to come to RU but was never offered trying to convince his best friend to come with him to play at UConn = pure evil.

Example 3. Spouse of a recruit from Alabama, and mother of the recruits child, who is a student at Alabama trying to convince a recruit to stay in Alabama = somewhat evil.
Whom are these hypotheticals

Wigenton said Schiano wanted him to commit on the spot.

“Not a lot of people know this,” he said, “but the new staff came in and asked if I was ready to commit if they’d offer a scholarship that day. If not, they didn’t want to get involved. I didn’t like that. I just didn’t get a good vibe from the Rutgers staff.

“When he got hired, they got eight commits pretty fast. He was just searching around looking for players ready to commit. If you weren’t ready, he didn’t want to get involved. I didn’t like that, but it is what it is.”

Smith said Schiano’s crew thought Wigenton was a valuable prospect but wasn’t the right fit.
“At the end of the day, they’re very careful with the Jersey kids,” Smith said. “When the new staff came in, the offensive line filled up a little bit. They’re looking for pure tackles, kids that have played the position. They had a specific body type they were looking for.”
Sounds like he wanted the offer but wasn’t going to commit.

Reactions: RU at the shore

Example 2, with no RU offer, only somewhat.

You make an excellent point!

Thank you for clarifying.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT