ADVERTISEMENT

GAME 16 MICHIGAN STATE: If you have been paying attention...

Davis and Simpson have not shown the production expected from 20+ min guards at this level... but that doesn't mean they won't "ever" do that.

Simpson's struggling in his new role without Spencer as a shooter outlet or Mulcahy as primary distributor - and reducing his number of longer twos is something that's coachable. He also needs to work much harder on distribution and feeding the post, along with interior passing. I don't think those things are outside his reach - but on any other team he'd be working on those things with reduced minutes off the bench given his production so far.

Davis is struggling to adjust to the college game. He needs to work on many of the same things as Simpson. One challenge is that he doesn't have any guards to model after - none of his backcourt mates are really setting great examples of how to succeed as a guard in this league. Again, I don't think those things are outside his reach, though - but on any other team, he'd likely be seeing spot minutes off the bench and learning from the primary rotation guys (as Simpson had a chance to do last year).

Unfortunately, everyone on this team except for cliff and mawot are asked to punch above their weight class. Derek is a 175-200 rank recruit sophomore. I’m not sure it’s reasonable to ask him to be an above average big 10 guard. He’s better suited for 15 minutes off the bench. Similar concept for JMike. He would be perfect for 8 minutes as the back up point guard. This is what kills me when people say losing a player like Spencer is no big deal. Now everyone has to pull more rope.

Reactions: bac2therac
Simpson far quicker than Davis. Pike said it!
Three Point percentage advantage to Simpson.
Free Throw percentage advantage to Simpson. Significant. In fact unbelievably twice as good.
Steals advantage to Simpson.
Assists advantage to Simpson.
Simpson won Indiana and PSU game last year.
Stonehill this year and Indiana this year and took over OSU.
Name one game that JD has taken over.
It’s not a freshman and a senior.
It’s a freshman and a sophomore.
Simpson better in assists to turnovers.
You guys trying so hard to elevate JMike and rip Simpson. Math doesn’t add up.
Simpson far better +/-
Only +/- player JD was better than was Gavin.
Last week 21 minutes 4 turnovers and no assists. 🦗🦗🦗🦗🦗
Me thanks many of you have an obvious bias.
It's way to early to judge JD's shooting from 3. He's 5-18 in his freshman year - just 5 out of his next 10 puts him at 36% I believe. Just hitting his next three puts him at 38%. Some are already calling him a bad 3 point shooter. Two years from now he'll be an outstanding B1G player, three years from now the whole package.

Last edited:
It's way to early to judge JD's shooting from 3. He's 5-18 in his freshman year - just 5 out of his next 10 puts him at 36% I believe. Just hitting his next three puts him at 38%. Some are already calling him a bad 3 point shooter. Two years from now he'll be an outstanding B1G player, three years from now the whole package.
Davis's 3 point sample is tinyyy at this point

I know it’s only 2 plays but “being a freshman” doesn’t really cover the two horrendous dunk attempts by Davis in games.

19-0 run ends at 11 if he just puts it up for Clif who was just standing there waiting when the defender committed to Davis.
I would assume he ran a fast break before in HS. That’s a fundamental basketball drill.

I know it’s only 2 plays but “being a freshman” doesn’t really cover the two horrendous dunk attempts by Davis in games.

19-0 run ends at 11 if he just puts it up for Clif who was just standing there waiting when the defender committed to Davis.
I would assume he ran a fast break before in HS. That’s a fundamental basketball drill.
Give the kid break. He is inexperienced, and was pissed at the way things were going. He tried to motivate the team. For his size, his attempt was also quite impressive, and he probably thought Cliff would miss the dunk anyway - LOL

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: NickRU714
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT