ADVERTISEMENT

Minnesotan sounds off about Rutgers Fans

Rescooter

Redshirt
Aug 30, 2010
Last post. Gophers were fortunate to come away with a victory. Knights fought hard, new QB looks legit enough. Minnesota tried giving away the game after the 1st Quarter. Leidner did not bring his A game.

TCF stadium was flat this week. Student section was good, but the rest of the fans were quiet and disengaged. Rutgers fans were quiet as well EXCEPT for the crazys in the Loge Box on the Home Side of the field. The gals brought it; I would put that group up in the top 2 or 3 best fan group I've seen. Impressive.

Glad to see you brought some of the band and hope the Rutgers fans attend better next time. Got to travel well if you want to vie for bowls in the future. Hopefully we were good hosts and look forward to many meetings in the future.

Good luck!

I would say RU travels well, even to fabulous winter bowl destinations like Detroit and Toronto

Glad to see you brought some of the band and hope the Rutgers fans attend better next time. Got to travel well if you want to vie for bowls in the future. Hopefully we were good hosts and look forward to many meetings in the future.

Good luck!

Last post. Gophers were fortunate to come away with a victory. Knights fought hard, new QB looks legit enough. Minnesota tried giving away the game after the 1st Quarter. Leidner did not bring his A game.

TCF stadium was flat this week. Student section was good, but the rest of the fans were quiet and disengaged. Rutgers fans were quiet as well EXCEPT for the crazys in the Loge Box on the Home Side of the field. The gals brought it; I would put that group up in the top 2 or 3 best fan group I've seen. Impressive.

Good luck!

How about looking up in Section 203 . There were plenty of RU fans.
Let's see how Minny would travel to NJ if their team just lost 3 games in a row by 150-7 .
Not close to 200 I would betcha.

Good luck!

Thanks for the recap Scooter. Sounds like a lot of RU fans had fun out in Minny. Will likely head there next time we play in Minneapolis.

Reactions: RU22
Minnesota tried giving away the game after the 1st Quarter. Leidner did not bring his A game.

TCF stadium was flat this week
. fans were quiet and disengaged. Rutgers fans were quiet

hope the Rutgers fans attend better next time.

Got to travel well if you want to vie for bowls in the future.

Sorry but his post is quite condescending. We didn't keep it close, Minnesota gave it to us. They didn't bring their A game, team wise or fan wise on Homecoming no less. RU fans simply don't travel well.

Even in victory he couldn't be gracious. This fan believes the Gophers are far superior and he even says we're not a B1G fan base. This post reeks of sour grapes that we kept the game close and that he doesn't believe we belong in the B1G.

Good luck!
"Tried giving the game away" like when you threw that pick in the end zone at the end of the half.. oh wait that was us.

This might be the thinnest roster we've had since Schianos first year. If I'm Minnesota I don't want Rutgers on the schedule in the years to come after Ash gets his recruits in here.

We were at the game sitting in Section 108. I commented to friends with me that this was the quietest stadium I've ever been in. The Minnesota fans did their spelling cheer after they scored but it was extremely quiet otherwise.

I have trouble hearing bur was able to speak and hear most of the fans in my row with no trouble. It reminded me of Indiana last year.

Having said that, the Stadium is very nice and the campus surrounding it is beautiful.

Minnesota.... "Welcome to Lake Wobegon, where all the women are strong, all the men are good-looking, and all the children are above average." It's a Lutheran thang. You Jerseyans wouldn't understand. Excitement is relative.

Reactions: MidwestKnights
Great movie. Dormand was marvelous. They all were. Not in Minny. North Dakota. FARGO.

47058-it-s-the-same-thing.gif

Actually, only the opening scene of that movie was set in Fargo, and that scene was actually shot in Minneapolis. The entire film was shot in Minnesota, with most of it being set in Minneapolis and Brainerd. The Coen brothers are on the record saying they named it "Fargo" because it has a more evocative sound than Brainerd.

Reactions: RU_Planning
Nice try scooter. I was at the game. Our team fought hard to come back. There were giveaways on both sides. We earned our comeback. And RU fans in 203 and 204 were quite loud till the end.

BTW you have a beautiful stadium, really wide concourses and BEER. [cheers]

Reactions: RU1977 and rutger80
If there's one thing our fans excel at it's ... butthurt. But I guess not from sitting in Minnesota's stands.

The huge section of RU fans, in the upper tier, looked fantastic every time they showed a long-distance shot from the opposite end zone.

Fans were flat ?

Wasn't it Homecoming Game for Minn ? Maybe an 11am local time Kick off for Homecoming isn't a good idea.

Ha! Are you sure you are not a Gophers fan. Though it may not be true, it sure seems like we draw the most 11am games in the conference.

I don't want to come off as patronizing, so I will limit my comments. Rutgers fans were great! The football team shows much potential. I think your team has found a QB. For a 21 point road dog to come down to the last play of the game with a chance to win is impressive. Not where you want to be, but headed in the right direction. How do I know, we were/ are where Rutgers football is right now. The big difference is many of our fans do not think our current coach is the guy.

Go get a conference win! My guess is it will be sooner than later.

Cheers!

Beautiful day. Homecoming. 4-2 record going into the game.

46,000? 90% capacity?

As bad as things have been around here that's only 1,000 more than RU has averaged this year. No Minny fan should concern themselves with how many RU fans made the trip.

I was there and there was no way they had 46,000 in the stadium. It was maybe 2/3 full. Nice Stadium though and people were nice. I would go back.

Great movie. Dormand was marvelous. They all were. Not in Minny. North Dakota. FARGO.

No, despite the title, most of the action took place in Minnesota. Brainerd, to be exact. But damn that cast was excellent.

Minnesota's coach is kind of terrible. I remember he lost a game last year because he wasted too much time and then called a QB sneak that failed and they ran out of time when they could have just hit a FG to tie the game. He's also grossly overweight, but that's a separate issue.

Reactions: STPGopherfan
Actually, only the opening scene of that movie was set in Fargo, and that scene was actually shot in Minneapolis. The entire film was shot in Minnesota, with most of it being set in Minneapolis and Brainerd. The Coen brothers are on the record saying they named it "Fargo" because it has a more evocative sound than Brainerd.
Fooled me.
Minny fan's just mad because that's his friend in the wood chipper, ya.
I apologize for doubting you.

Reactions: OTBOTOR
Minnesota's coach is kind of terrible. I remember he lost a game last year because he wasted too much time and then called a QB sneak that failed and they ran out of time when they could have just hit a FG to tie the game. He's also grossly overweight, but that's a separate issue.

He has made some head scratching calls. I do cut him some slack because he is still learning. Last years gaffe was a communications issue. Too new to make sure someone was in charge of assisting with the time. What concerns me is procedural penalties. Those alone almost cost the game. Rutgers had something to do with that since I am sure some of the Offensive linemen felt like they needed to get a jump on the Rutgers DL.

Regarding his weight, if he turns the program around I won't care.

He has made some head scratching calls. I do cut him some slack because he is still learning. Last years gaffe was a communications issue. Too new to make sure someone was in charge of assisting with the time. What concerns me is procedural penalties. Those alone almost cost the game. Rutgers had something to do with that since I am sure some of the Offensive linemen felt like they needed to get a jump on the Rutgers DL.

Regarding his weight, if he turns the program around I won't care.

Don't want to sound bitter but haven't you guys had a number of targeting penalties or is it just when I've watched? I know going into Saturday the Gophers were 2nd in the B1G in most penalties per game. Are they mostly the 5 yard kind?

Don't want to sound bitter but haven't you guys had a number of targeting penalties or is it just when I've watched? I know going into Saturday the Gophers were 2nd in the B1G in most penalties per game. Are they mostly the 5 yard kind?

This team has had a problem with targeting. Most of them have been when a player has started to slide. The only one that I saw that was bad was against Oregon State. No helmet to helmet contact, but the player (Poock) could have pulled up/ avoided the hit.I didn't see the replays from other angles of Jack Lynn's hit, but I didn't see helmet to helmet. Nor did it look like it was late. I could be way off. I have to trust the refs this time. Players health is the most important.

The Gopher QB Leidner took a much worse shot to the head vs Iowa and it didn't get called. You could clearly see his head snap back after taking the crown of the helmet to the chin. He suffered a concussion. IMHO the refs failed him.

While I don't have a problem with the call on Saturday, I do have a problem of the inconsistency and the lack of considering intent. In some cases players do have trouble stopping in time.

Glad your player didn't get hurt. That is what matters most.

Reactions: AD888
Brainerd sounds like a competition between Mark Zuckerberg and Sergey Brin.

It sucks for the Gophers cause Kill was an excellent coach. Claeys is going to slowly sink the program like a slow sinking rock to the bottom of lake. I loved when Glenn Mason was there if he could of only developed a passing attack. Guys like this are so hard to make on move on because the backslide happens so gradually until you have one horrendous season after a decent one.

Not the looks of it on TV. Not at all.
Was at the game...I'd agree with 2/3s full. Seats are a bit deceptive looking as they are maroon or yellow and blend with the fans. Student section was full, but most of the upper deck (at least) had a lot of empties, but not massive blocks of empties, but rather a few people per row.

If the place holds 55k, I would guess there was 38 - 40k.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT