ADVERTISEMENT

More players transferring?

A

anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy

I have ZERO inside info on this but hearing alot of second hand rumors about the locker room have a little divide and multiple kids seriously considering entering the portal. Anyone hear anything?

I have ZERO inside info on this but hearing alot of second hand rumors about the locker room have a little divide and multiple kids seriously considering entering the portal. Anyone hear anything?
Did you hear the rumor from Blockr?
If one person posts it, it will get reposted by someone else hear that remembered seeing a post about it. The big circle jerking of reposting the rumor eventually makes fiction become fact in some peoples minds down the road.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
9 months locked on-campus - I'd be sick of all of them too...

I don't put much stock into that stuff...

young guys are ready to play - the veterans are moving on.. I hope RHJr does return (all indications seem to be he will - but you never know these days). Young is gone, Myles is gone.. if I was a betting man (and I am - we probably hear from Geo in next few days (I'm guess he's gone - but hope not)...

Mathis and McConnel will be a good core - Chemistry is always important - but I wouldn't worry about it too much at this point

Florida had good team, two of their players are in the portal. Hundreds of kids going to be in portal.

If enough of our guys enter the portal to seriously jeopardize our short and long term prospects, then Pike is not our answer for sustained success. However, for now, rumors are rumors.

Myles gradated, Geo is done and only for covid has an extra year, Montez had his role severely diminished this year, caleb's role was up and down, only 5 guys can play at a time and they all think they should be playing. There is only so much pikiell can do to keep everyone happy.

I will say any program who gets caught tampering with other teams players should get a 3 year post season ban.

Myles gradated, Geo is done and only for covid has an extra year, Montez had his role severely diminished this year, caleb's role was up and down, only 5 guys can play at a time and they all think they should be playing. There is only so much pikiell can do to keep everyone happy.

I will say any program who gets caught tampering with other teams players should get a 3 year post season ban.
Very true. But if guys like Harper, Cliff or Jones transfer then its a serious reflection on Pikes ability to handle the team. Baker and Myles are different cases.

Very true. But if guys like Harper, Cliff or Jones transfer then its a serious reflection on Pikes ability to handle the team. Baker and Myles are different cases.

i think that’s fair. People criticizing pike for myles geo and young leaving are just insane. Same when pike was criticized for not “rerecruting” sanders when he finally left. Just people with a ridiculous ax to grind

but, if a significant number of the core of Ron, Caleb, paul, cliff leave than THAT would be significant reason to question Pike (unless he’s somehow able to replace with better players via transfer-in)

Reactions: hiwater
i think that’s fair. People criticizing pike for myles geo and young leaving are just insane. Same when pike was criticized for not “rerecruting” sanders when he finally left. Just people with a ridiculous ax to grind

but, if a significant number of the core of Ron, Caleb, paul, cliff leave than THAT would be significant reason to question Pike (unless he’s somehow able to replace with better players via transfer-in)
Kids in the transfer portal want to win. If our young core leaves, no one of more will want to come here. Maybe I’m wrong.

Reactions: JerseyB
Kids in the transfer portal want to win. If our young core leaves, no one of more will want to come here. Maybe I’m wrong.

....and if that happens THEN there will be some serious red flags about pikes ability to build/ maintain this program

but geo, myles, and young leaving don’t signify that in any way. At this point in their careers it’s entirely reasonable that they would each want to move on and explore the next stage of their life

but Ron, paul, Caleb of cliff leaving would signify that they just want off the ship. And that would obviously be troubling

....and if that happens THEN there will be some serious red flags about pikes ability to build/ maintain this program

but geo, myles, and young leaving don’t signify that in any way. At this point in their careers it’s entirely reasonable that they would each want to move on and explore the next stage of their life

but Ron, paul, Caleb of cliff leaving would signify that they just want off the ship. And that would obviously be troubling

Agree totally. Even Mathis leaving would not be surprising or completely upsetting. We need to see what Harper, Jones and Cliff do before making conclusions. I guess TOS is predicting doomsday?

Reactions: RedTeam1994
Actually if mathis stayed it would actually surprise me. That wouldn’t be a stain on pike either. The kid was given more than plenty opportunity on the court. Not gonna disparage the kid but a fresh start might be good for him.

Will definitely be confirmation the chemistry issues we all suspected were there actually ran deeper than we thought.

For recruiting of transfers, the important players to retain for next season are 2 of the following 3 - Geo, PM and CM (the ball handlers/distributors).

A plug and play PG leader from another major conference rarely pans out in year one. The problem with going the Smith (Michigan) route is that you never know whether the skills will translate at the next level until the season - so to make it work you really need to have a top level nucleus in place at other positions. Much easier to plug in a star shooter and/or a big.

There is no indication of RHJ transferring is there? If anything he will test the waters and likely return.

Excluding Geo who I think is either going pro or coming back (and not transferring) there are really only three, maybe four, players on the roster who would be hard to replace.

Obviously I want guys to come back because there's no guarantee we'd be able to replace anyone who left with someone better, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if there is another transfer or two or four.

This may be a new era of college basketball in which you just have constant free agency. Seems like guys all over the country are unhappy for some reason or another.

I think covid has a lot to do with it. When your team is your team it's one thing. When your team is literally the only people you're able to see and hang out with for a year, it takes a toll.

The one constant is Coach Pike and I trust him until proven otherwise. He's taken us deeper into the season over the last 2 years since the early 1980s. Players typically improve their game and develop year after year under Pike and staff. I was bothered by 1 comment made by Eugene in the Carino APP piece yesterday, however, I attribute that to a little bit of sour grapes by Eugene for whatever the reason. Eugene's game grew by leaps and bounds when he played at Rutgers under Pike/Staff, and unfortunately hurting his knee 2 seasons in a row delayed his full progress.

I do believe the current group of players is ready for some turnover and that's usually a good thing as we've also seen teams grow stale when bringing back all 4-5 year players (i.e. Northwestern after their NCAA year; This year's Wisconsin team) . Completely understand JY signing out and Myles hitting the portal. I would understand if Geo decided to turn Pro. It's possible 1-2 additional players may be discontent and take their talents elsewhere. It happens to all Schools. The key is not to lose critical younger talent.

Other than JY and Myles, everything at this point is rumors, rampant speculation and hypotheticals without a shred of evidence.

In summary, this is College Sports and players come and go in the blink of an eye. Next year, they'll be new Rutgers Heroes to watch and root for, the same as every new season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT