ADVERTISEMENT

More players transferring?

The other site went crazy because a youthful member of the staff began to speculate wildly based on nothing. For example, he concluded that Cliff might transfer because Knight might get another job and players often follow their lead recruiter out the door. A crazy and immature post. The more experienced staff members should have shut him down. Nobody knows anything and the speculation based on nothing helps no one. Actually it can be harmful.

I have ZERO inside info on this but hearing alot of second hand rumors about the locker room have a little divide and multiple kids seriously considering entering the portal. Anyone hear anything?
Divide between players and coaches maybe?

The other site went crazy because a youthful member of the staff began to speculate wildly based on nothing. For example, he concluded that Cliff might transfer because Knight might get another job and players often follow their lead recruiter out the door. A crazy and immature post. The more experienced staff members should have shut him down. Nobody knows anything and the speculation based on nothing helps no one. Actually it can be harmful.

Cliff had an IG story on Wednesday of him already back to work at the APC

Which is complete and utter horseshit. The only reason cliff would leave would be to go to another p5 program. And knight most likely is not getting a job like that. Cliff is not leaving a guaranteed starting job in the big ten to transfer down to bumf*ck state.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Which is complete and utter horseshit. The only reason cliff would leave would be to go to another p5 program. And knight most likely is not getting a job like that. Cliff is not leaving a guaranteed starting job in the big ten to transfer down to bumf*ck state.

This. This isn't RU of old where we'd pick up a guy like Rosario and lose enough to lose him.

Cliff was recruited during a year when Rutgers would have made the NCAAs and then he played in the tourney his freshman year AND won a game. This is big time basketball and we're delivering for Cliff and the other freshman.

Kids in the transfer portal want to win. If our young core leaves, no one of more will want to come here. Maybe I’m wrong.

Does this apply for RU or all programs??

Do you watch the transfer portal and understand that for the 1st time EVER, kids can now transfer and do not have to sit out the next season??

You cannot take old rules and apply them to this season. I will repeat again, anyone and everyone from any program has the right to now transfer....AND it will be the NEW NORMAL......that means it is not going to go back to the old model of a transfer being forced to sit out the next season.

2017 - 904
2018 - 882
2019 - 992
2020 - 1,026
2021 - 866 ( as of sometime Thursday)

Keep in mind, the Sweet 16 hasn't even started yet, the NIT is still being played.....

The expectations are upwards of 1250 to 1300 kids will land in the portal.....

There are about 4500 to 4600 kids in total for college basketball.....

With around 350 programs in D1, the average is around 3 kids per program.

I don't think an average of 3 per program is shocking in any way.

I heard Geo leaving for another school only to be shocked and dismayed his free education does NOT come with ncaa royalty money at the new school either!

its irresponsible for them but not surprising given their 2nd rate status

Does this apply for RU or all programs??

Do you watch the transfer portal and understand that for the 1st time EVER, kids can now transfer and do not have to sit out the next season??

You cannot take old rules and apply them to this season. I will repeat again, anyone and everyone from any program has the right to now transfer....AND it will be the NEW NORMAL......that means it is not going to go back to the old model of a transfer being forced to sit out the next season.

2017 - 904
2018 - 882
2019 - 992
2020 - 1,026
2021 - 866 ( as of sometime Thursday)

Keep in mind, the Sweet 16 hasn't even started yet, the NIT is still being played.....

The expectations are upwards of 1250 to 1300 kids will land in the portal.....

There are about 4500 to 4600 kids in total for college basketball.....

With around 350 programs in D1, the average is around 3 kids per program.

I don't think an average of 3 per program is shocking in any way.
How did Myles not leaving at all turn out, Hawk? Because that's what you were saying for months. Not that I blame the kid - or Pike - for his decision.
The point is this - the blue bloods can reload through the portal. We're not at that point where we can do so. It helped last year with Akwasi, but it can go the other way as well.

Last edited:
The slamming of Pike in this thread is shameful, some of you should be embarrassed and do not seem to have any concept of the unique situation here with the portal and the extra year of eligibility.
The only "slamming" that should be of Pike is if Harper, Jones Cliff or Mulcahy leaves. Those are the four that absolutely have to be here if we are going back to the dance.

Reactions: IL Lusciato
The one constant is Coach Pike and I trust him until proven otherwise. He's taken us deeper into the season over the last 2 years since the early 1980s. Players typically improve their game and develop year after year under Pike and staff. I was bothered by 1 comment made by Eugene in the Carino APP piece yesterday, however, I attribute that to a little bit of sour grapes by Eugene for whatever the reason. Eugene's game grew by leaps and bounds when he played at Rutgers under Pike/Staff, and unfortunately hurting his knee 2 seasons in a row delayed his full progress.

I do believe the current group of players is ready for some turnover and that's usually a good thing as we've also seen teams grow stale when bringing back all 4-5 year players (i.e. Northwestern after their NCAA year; This year's Wisconsin team) . Completely understand JY signing out and Myles hitting the portal. I would understand if Geo decided to turn Pro. It's possible 1-2 additional players may be discontent and take their talents elsewhere. It happens to all Schools. The key is not to lose critical younger talent.

Other than JY and Myles, everything at this point is rumors, rampant speculation and hypotheticals without a shred of evidence.

In summary, this is College Sports and players come and go in the blink of an eye. Next year, they'll be new Rutgers Heroes to watch and root for, the same as every new season.

Maybe the best thing i have every read on this board.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
The only "slamming" that should be of Pike is if Harper, Jones Cliff or Mulcahy leaves. Those are the four that absolutely have to be here if we are going back to the dance.

you are completely off the rails full stop..you have proven to be the worst poster on the board repeatedly and you have been given many chances to redeem yourself

guess what, RU is probably not dancing next year barring landing a gem in the portal and no its not an indictment on Pikiell and why on earth would he be slammed if that happens...he just got us to the dance after 30 years...well 2 years in a row and our first win in 38 years

keep being a horrible poster

guess what, RU is probably not dancing next year barring landing a gem in the portal and no its not an indictment on Pikiell and why on earth would he be slammed if that happens...he just got us to the dance after 30 years...well 2 years in a row and our first win in 38 years

keep being a horrible poster
So if Jones, Harper, Cliff and Mulcahy leave you're okay with it?
Did you even read what I said? I am FINE WITH Myles leaving, Geo, Jacob. I don't blame Pike or the kids. I am only bringing up a hypothetical.
Don't even get into worst poster. I used to follow the current events board and you were the absolute worst, on issues of way more importance than Rutgers basketball.

you are completely off the rails full stop..you have proven to be the worst poster on the board repeatedly and you have been given many chances to redeem yourself
Why? Any of those guys leaving is a complete and utter failure by pikiell. It's one thing to not be able to recruit out of hs but to not even be able to recruit the players on your own team is just plain embarrassing. What would that say about the program?

Reactions: RUSCFORMERLYRULOU
Why? Any of those guys leaving is a complete and utter failure by pikiell. It's one thing to not be able to recruit out of hs but to not even be able to recruit the players on your own team is just plain embarrassing. What would that say about the program?
Why? Because the speculating on this without any indication that something like this is even remotely likely to happen is ridiculous. Anything could happen, but why be a moaning Mary and constantly vetch about improbable scenarios when it is just as likely that he may be run over by a car in his driveway.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Think before posting this crap. Or better yet, post this on the Penn State board.
This is hilarious. So you are saying you're absolutely okay with Pike if that scenario happened?
Look - we had a GREAT YEAR. We made it to the second round and almost to the Sweet Sixteen. I haven't said ONE THING about the coaching in the last four minutes or criticized Pike for it while many have - hindsight is 20/20 and there was tremendous pressure and no one is to blame. But there is uncertainty right now and until we know for sure what's up there will be speculation.

So if Jones, Harper, Cliff and Mulcahy leave you're okay with it?
Did you even read what I said? I am FINE WITH Myles leaving, Geo, Jacob. I don't blame Pike or the kids. I am only bringing up a hypothetical.
Don't even get into worst poster. I used to follow the current events board and you were the absolute worst, on issues of way more importance than Rutgers basketball.

gee if a meteor landed on earth what would be left

I have seen zero indication of chemistry issues on our team beyond what might be expected from a group that only sees each other for 5 months. I'm not saying we have the most tight-knit bunch of all time or anything but most of this stuff comes from the same crowd who does a deep-dive on player body language anytime we have a bad game.

I do think the NCAA has ****ed this up and is creating unnecessary chaos around the country.

And if someone unexpected does transfer, could we maybe hold off on the "Pike is not the right guy for sustained success" nonsense? People do stuff for reasons, it could happen that someone transfers, it's not the end of the world. The guy has earned himself some benefit of the doubt here.

Also Lou, for ****'s sake, can you maybe wait for the bad stuff to actually happen before getting upset about it? Jesus, don't you have better things to do like make an appointment at the mechanic since your car is going to break down tomorrow and maybe take care of the damage that is coming to your house since it is going to be windy today?

I did not start this thread about more players transferring. Kyk is a pretty connected poster.

I don’t see much slamming going on it’s just Basketball speculation. Some people here have their feelings hurt too easily especially considering it’s a discussion about the program it’s nothing to be taken personally.

Reactions: RUSCFORMERLYRULOU
whats the question again....please base it on something other than wild hypothetical
I'm basing this on Kyk's initial post - the guy who started this thread. POSSIBLE chemistry issues (emphasis on that) could lead to transfers. It's hypothetical. You know, like your guy Trump who said he could shoot someone in the middle of New York and people would still love him. I'm sure you didn't criticize him for that speculation.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT