ADVERTISEMENT

More players transferring?

Why? Any of those guys leaving is a complete and utter failure by pikiell. It's one thing to not be able to recruit out of hs but to not even be able to recruit the players on your own team is just plain embarrassing. What would that say about the program?
This is hilarious. So you are saying you're absolutely okay with Pike if that scenario happened?
Look - we had a GREAT YEAR. We made it to the second round and almost to the Sweet Sixteen. I haven't said ONE THING about the coaching in the last four minutes or criticized Pike for it while many have - hindsight is 20/20 and there was tremendous pressure and no one is to blame. But there is uncertainty right now and until we know for sure what's up there will be speculation.

So essentially you guys like to set up worst case scenarios so it gives you a chance to stage criticism of Pike whether the scenarios happen or not. LOL.

The unfortunate situation involves 3 other B1G programs had transfers.....Purdue, Wisconsin.....Indiana has had 5 to 6 players since the firing of Archie Miller.....
How did Myles not leaving at all turn out, Hawk? Because that's what you were saying for months. Not that I blame the kid - or Pike - for his decision.
The point is this - the blue bloods can reload through the portal. We're not at that point where we can do so. It helped last year with Akwasi, but it can go the other way as well.

What are you talking about....?? It is impossible to know if a kid would stay or not and the kid is a graduate transfer who can go to school elsewhere. It is clear that Myles has bigger interests beyond basketball and does not need basketball whatsoever....I would not equate this as a "basketball player transferring "....this is a student athlete, transferring that happens to play hoops for a free education.

And Cliff says hello as a very capable option to play as a starter, it's not unreasonable to think there's a small drop-off, if any, by the middle of next year.

I can't believe I made it all the way through this 3 page thread which was prompted by someone who said they didn't know anything but wanted to know if anyone had heard any rumors of potential transfers. Then, in a year when every college player is being given the opportunity to transfer with no sit-out year and also was just given a free year of eligibility and there are already 906 players in the transfer portal before we've reached the second weekend of the NCAA Tournament, someone insists that if players are going to transfer "Pike might not be the answer". That is classic. The other 350 DI coaches must not be the answer either since there are already 2.5 players in the portal per school.

I've been following college hoops close enough in the past decade to not be surprised when ANY player from ANY school decides to transfer. In a free year like this, forget about it. I don't play basketball but I've been living in a pandemic for the last year and I'm ready for a change of scenery too.

I have ZERO inside info on this but hearing alot of second hand rumors about the locker room have a little divide and multiple kids seriously considering entering the portal. Anyone hear anything?
Kyk, so you mention this and then are barely in the thread?

You also talked with Geo about his activity with the NCAA.

Sounds like all BS to me.

Reactions: TRU2RU
I don't even remember what story was supposedly overheard at Subway. That Savage was transferring? Tre Timbers head shot was photoshopped?
I didn’t read through this whole thread so someone may have pointed this out... but I think it was something about Dodd not being happy with schiano. His parents were bashing him or something like that. But apparently it turned out to be true

Lou what did I tell you about eating too much chicken? Did you not listen to Harbaugh?

So if Jones, Harper, Cliff and Mulcahy leave you're okay with it?
Did you even read what I said? I am FINE WITH Myles leaving, Geo, Jacob. I don't blame Pike or the kids. I am only bringing up a hypothetical.
Don't even get into worst poster. I used to follow the current events board and you were the absolute worst, on issues of way more importance than Rutgers basketball.

Nah, the guy who says “so true” 80x per day blows everyone on that board away lol!

I've heard this referenced many times, but never knew the origin. Could you explain the original story? Thanks

Dodd went to Subway after a game to eat with his Dad who was in town to watch the game and my buddy overheard him venting and talking about potentially transferring.

Every one thought it was a ridiculous made up story and laughed about the idea of a college student eating at subway on Easton after a game.

Hence the running “I heard it at Subway” joke.

Everybody knew before the season ended that there would be a ridiculous amount of transfers all over the country as soon as the season ended.

I don’t know how the hell it would be Pike’s fault after what he’s turned this program into. And there isn’t even any evidence yet of half the team leaving due to a divide in the locker room.

Let’s wait and see what happens

I'm basing this on Kyk's initial post - the guy who started this thread. POSSIBLE chemistry issues (emphasis on that) could lead to transfers. It's hypothetical. You know, like your guy Trump who said he could shoot someone in the middle of New York and people would still love him. I'm sure you didn't criticize him for that speculation.

amazing you are so infected with TDS that you are bringing that into a basketball thread about transfers

I can't believe I made it all the way through this 3 page thread which was prompted by someone who said they didn't know anything but wanted to know if anyone had heard any rumors of potential transfers. Then, in a year when every college player is being given the opportunity to transfer with no sit-out year and also was just given a free year of eligibility and there are already 906 players in the transfer portal before we've reached the second weekend of the NCAA Tournament, someone insists that if players are going to transfer "Pike might not be the answer". That is classic. The other 350 DI coaches must not be the answer either since there are already 2.5 players in the portal per school.

I've been following college hoops close enough in the past decade to not be surprised when ANY player from ANY school decides to transfer. In a free year like this, forget about it. I don't play basketball but I've been living in a pandemic for the last year and I'm ready for a change of scenery too.

I think every player at some point will have a conversation about entering the portal and why wouldnt they, its a free year for anything to happen

I'm basing this on Kyk's initial post - the guy who started this thread. POSSIBLE chemistry issues (emphasis on that) could lead to transfers. It's hypothetical. You know, like your guy Trump who said he could shoot someone in the middle of New York and people would still love him. I'm sure you didn't criticize him for that speculation.
Second time you brought up trump/politics in the thread LOL that doesn’t exactly help your basketball argument... and the comparison makes no sense at all

Very true. But if guys like Harper, Cliff or Jones transfer then its a serious reflection on Pikes ability to handle the team. Baker and Myles are different cases.

you do realize this was a once in a hundred year type year and not a normal year? You try managing a dozen people who can’t see family or friends and pretty much just do school and basketball.

They had no outlet. You are surprised there was tension and people got on each other’s nerves?

are you and your family handling Covid with no negative effects?

So essentially you guys like to set up worst case scenarios so it gives you a chance to stage criticism of Pike whether the scenarios happen or not. LOL.
How exactly does my post criticize pikiell if nobody leaves. I stated very clearly that it reflects poorly on him if he loses those guys. Learn to read.

The unfortunate situation involves 3 other B1G programs had transfers.....Purdue, Wisconsin.....Indiana has had 5 to 6 players since the firing of Archie Miller.....

What are you talking about....?? It is impossible to know if a kid would stay or not and the kid is a graduate transfer who can go to school elsewhere. It is clear that Myles has bigger interests beyond basketball and does not need basketball whatsoever....I would not equate this as a "basketball player transferring "....this is a student athlete, transferring that happens to play hoops for a free education.

And Cliff says hello as a very capable option to play as a starter, it's not unreasonable to think there's a small drop-off, if any, by the middle of next year.
Hawk - with respect (as you have not shown me) you said on the board several times that Myles wasn't going to transfer after the season. It's okay to be wrong but you have said that.

Let’s consider the OP for a second.
As good of a poster as Kyk is for football. He not so good with bball. He hates Pike. Borderline actively roots against them. He was very adamant about Schiano getting football to a bowl game before bball would make the tournament while we were making our push for the tournament last year. Who knows if anyone transfers. He’s just looking for another reason to bash Pike

Hawk - with respect (as you have not shown me) you said on the board several times that Myles wasn't going to transfer after the season. It's okay to be wrong but you have said that.

Again I said multiple times it would be surprising if he grad transfers and could never guarantee any kid wouldn't transfer and your posting history doesn't necessarily mean much either way. It is not about being wrong, I post what I know and if something was posted 3 days ago or 3 months ago, you should be smart enough (I hope) to not run with something known in the past.

3 months ago, RU was not in contention to land a Top in state prospect in football.....it was stated, RU is not likely to land XYZ recruit, because he had offers from these specific schools.....well, those schools have since landed other recruits.....it doesn't mean that recruit is now suddenly going to pick RU, just that things change in recruiting and they certainly change when it comes to the transfer portal, especially when a player is a grad transfer.

If you also read the information on Myles Johnson, he did not definitely say he was closing the door on RU, but weighing all of the options available to him. That is far different than Jacob Young tweeting less than a hour or so after the loss to Houston that "he's out".......we had people still posting for the last 2 months on whether it was likely Jacob Young was likely to return and every person who is a writer or mod stated "it is very or highly unlikely thab Jacob Young would be back for an extra year".....there was never a definite "there is zero chance", because even if it was the case, it does not make any sense to have someone publicly say they are leaving, before they officially have to do so.

I can also say it is very very likely that RU lands a specific basketball recruit, but since I have no way of knowing what could happen in recruiting elsewhere, it is not a good idea to "guarantee " anything. There are likely and very likely to 99%.... but never 100% or no one is able to guarantee anything in this field.

Reactions: bac2therac
Whats the scoop on IU entering portal from MA
mother wants him to play closer to home but no mention of BC or Sara

Reactions: Scangg
The one constant is Coach Pike and I trust him until proven otherwise. He's taken us deeper into the season over the last 2 years since the early 1980s. Players typically improve their game and develop year after year under Pike and staff. I was bothered by 1 comment made by Eugene in the Carino APP piece yesterday, however, I attribute that to a little bit of sour grapes by Eugene for whatever the reason. Eugene's game grew by leaps and bounds when he played at Rutgers under Pike/Staff, and unfortunately hurting his knee 2 seasons in a row delayed his full progress.

I do believe the current group of players is ready for some turnover and that's usually a good thing as we've also seen teams grow stale when bringing back all 4-5 year players (i.e. Northwestern after their NCAA year; This year's Wisconsin team) . Completely understand JY signing out and Myles hitting the portal. I would understand if Geo decided to turn Pro. It's possible 1-2 additional players may be discontent and take their talents elsewhere. It happens to all Schools. The key is not to lose critical younger talent.

Other than JY and Myles, everything at this point is rumors, rampant speculation and hypotheticals without a shred of evidence.

In summary, this is College Sports and players come and go in the blink of an eye. Next year, they'll be new Rutgers Heroes to watch and root for, the same as every new season.

Take your well thought out/rational thoughts somewhere else. There is no place for that on this forum!

Reactions: RURM85
Agree totally. Even Mathis leaving would not be surprising or completely upsetting. We need to see what Harper, Jones and Cliff do before making conclusions. I guess TOS is predicting doomsday?

I wouldn’t care if Mathis left and I could even understand it if Harper left. If Mulcahy, Jones or Cliff left, it would be extremely worrisome.

Reactions: RUfanSinceAnderson
Dogs can help cure cancer by locating tumors. Probably not as effective as injecting bleach though.

Lets be very very very clear. Dogs do not and i repeat do not cure or even help cure cancer.... No doctor has ever prescribed a dog to a cancer patient. Bleach probably wont work but other poisonous chemicals used in chemotherapy actually do.

Everyone who is leaving is expected to leave or at least 50/50. There has been no talk of the underclassmen studs leaving except on these boards bc Rutgers fans tend to be doomsday predictors.

We had an amazing season and have a lot of young talent to build around. Who knows... we may even use the portal to bring in upgrades to some who leave. Let's wait to see what the roster looks like before freaking out.

For example, Harrar and Geronimo come in along with a solid PG.... how does the team look then?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT