ADVERTISEMENT

More to this JP Parking all most sounds....

Thanks, can you elaborate on the grass areas? It looks like the silver lot consists of a few parking lots. Is one better than the others for finding a grass area? When you say "if you get there early enough" do you mean that the grass areas get crowded?
I used to park in lot 51 where the credit union is. I haven't parked there in a few years. In black now. But that lot has grass all around the perimeter including one side that borders an asphalt path that's a real nice place for tailgating. In terms of when you need to get there back in those days we were getting good crowds but I tend to get in early so didn't have any issue finding great spots there. It did fill up though eventually but not sure that is still the case. I would get there at least 3 hours before kickoff and was always in good shape. Hope that helps.

Reactions: robcac26
So speaking for me .... I was one of the ones in this thread (and related threads) saying this was a non-issue, mostly because it impacted very few people, and most of the people affected are visiting fans. In the scheme of things, parking at Johnson Park is meaningless. The fact that parking was cancelled in Johnson Park is meaningless, whether it was done so Rutgers can make more money, or not spend more money, or to ease traffic congestion, or to protect green acres, or because someone doesn't like grass. I've been pretty consistent in saying cancelling parking there sucks for those who've parked there, but it is only a handful of people and they have other parking options, even if those options aren't as desirable.

But I changed my position when I heard that it was Rutgers Athletics that made the decision to cancel parking. When I thought it was the park commission, I thought, "it's just the park commission; we don't expect them to be football fan friendly". But now that I found out it was Rutgers that made the decision, I am disappointed -- Not because they cancelled JP parking, but because of how they did it.

Issue 1: It was poorly communicated. This is not a new problem for Rutgers Athletics. Miscommunication has been the norm for years. Although I don't believe anyone consciously decided that ticket agents should lie about the issue, the fact remains that ticket agents gave out incorrect information.

Issue 2: The timing was late, meaning the handful of fans affected didn't have time to find alternative. And this problem will continue through the season as Johnson Park is listed as a gameday parking location in the season ticket book. So season ticket holders who don't spend time on this board will think there is gameday parking in Johnson Park, and may direct friends there for gameday parking.

Both these issues combine into a credibility gap pattern. Combine this with other miscommunication issues, all seemingly minor on their own, and you have fans wonder if information from the Athletic Department is accurate. So the next time Hobbs says his hands were tied in moving a game to Yankee Stadium, or eliminating a student tailgate area, or harassing tailgaters, or whatever the next issue is, we are all going to wonder what the true story is.
Excellent post. This sums up the problem nicely.

So speaking for me .... I was one of the ones in this thread (and related threads) saying this was a non-issue, mostly because it impacted very few people, and most of the people affected are visiting fans. In the scheme of things, parking at Johnson Park is meaningless. The fact that parking was cancelled in Johnson Park is meaningless, whether it was done so Rutgers can make more money, or not spend more money, or to ease traffic congestion, or to protect green acres, or because someone doesn't like grass. I've been pretty consistent in saying cancelling parking there sucks for those who've parked there, but it is only a handful of people and they have other parking options, even if those options aren't as desirable.

But I changed my position when I heard that it was Rutgers Athletics that made the decision to cancel parking. When I thought it was the park commission, I thought, "it's just the park commission; we don't expect them to be football fan friendly". But now that I found out it was Rutgers that made the decision, I am disappointed -- Not because they cancelled JP parking, but because of how they did it.

Issue 1: It was poorly communicated. This is not a new problem for Rutgers Athletics. Miscommunication has been the norm for years. Although I don't believe anyone consciously decided that ticket agents should lie about the issue, the fact remains that ticket agents gave out incorrect information.

Issue 2: The timing was late, meaning the handful of fans affected didn't have time to find alternative. And this problem will continue through the season as Johnson Park is listed as a gameday parking location in the season ticket book. So season ticket holders who don't spend time on this board will think there is gameday parking in Johnson Park, and may direct friends there for gameday parking.

Both these issues combine into a credibility gap pattern. Combine this with other miscommunication issues, all seemingly minor on their own, and you have fans wonder if information from the Athletic Department is accurate. So the next time Hobbs says his hands were tied in moving a game to Yankee Stadium, or eliminating a student tailgate area, or harassing tailgaters, or whatever the next issue is, we are all going to wonder what the true story is.
Excellent post.
And no Hobbs hands werent tied signing the Yankee Stadium deal. First the deal wasnt signed so the deal wasnt binding. And he had no connection to the people who started that discussion. A simple "We are no longer interested" would have been fine from a business standpoint.

Needless to say a total screw up by Rutgers and key people involved. Still think from a public relations viewpoint an email to all season ticket holders clarifing the be policy and error made and of course an open apology. It's the right thing to do and not that difficult to do.

So now the Seat Cushion snafu is the latest communication issue for the Athletic Department. RU62's suggestion is the minimum that Rutgers should do.

So let's put some metrics around how the Athletic Department responds as suggested by RU62 (open apology, acknowledgement of error, and clarification of policy):

A - email to all fans on Tuesday.
B - email on Wednesday
C - email on Thursday
D - email on Friday
F - no email before Saturday, or email is unclear, or email does not contain apology, acknowledgement of error, and clarification of policy.

Reactions: redking
Again, it's as simple as that. Admit to an error and regain some credibility. And perhaps find some way to compensate those who were unjustly affected.

Reactions: redking
if you want to make a comment that counts not this bs then respond to the survey about the game sent on Saturday--I did

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT