ADVERTISEMENT

Mulcahy/Young

zebnatto

All Conference
May 7, 2008
I think we’re all guessing as to how much they’re going to contribute, but there seems agreement that their games fill holes we have: Paul a tall and true pg, and Jacob a lightening quick 1 (or 2). Even if they’re pieces, and not game changers, they’re not duplicates.

I think we’re all guessing as to how much they’re going to contribute, but there seems agreement that their games fill holes we have: Paul a tall and true pg, and Jacob a lightening quick 1 (or 2). Even if they’re pieces, and not game changers, they’re not duplicates.
My guess is that both play a lot. I also think they can play at the same time if they both excel. Between the two of them they could cover 80% of the PG duties. If one of them doesn’t excel then figure Geo and McConnell will spend some minutes at PG.

Reactions: Scangg
My guess is that both play a lot. I also think they can play at the same time if they both excel. Between the two of them they could cover 80% of the PG duties. If one of them doesn’t excel then figure Geo and McConnell will spend some minutes at PG.

A lot will depend on their hit rate from outside. If they are both sub-.330 from the arc, we wouldn't want them on the floor together for long.

A lot will depend on their hit rate from outside. If they are both sub-.330 from the arc, we wouldn't want them on the floor together for long.
One of them will need to shoot well. My guess is Young will be leaned on more as a scorer while Mulcahy will be more a facilitator. I’m in the camp that Mulcahy was brought in to be THE point guard/forward. The ball will be in his hands. He won’t need to score much if the other 4 get good looks.

Yes, they both can play at the same time. Young will play as much or more than any guard we have. He is capable of doing what you saw Carsen Edwards do in the tournament at any given time.

Yes, they both can play at the same time. Young will play as much or more than any guard we have. He is capable of doing what you saw Carsen Edwards do in the tournament at any given time.
First he has to defend to play for Pike. From what I have seen, shot selection and defense are his biggest weaknesses. I like him a lot but he’s not playing more than Geo and we’ll see who starts at point by mid season.

First he has to defend to play for Pike. From what I have seen, shot selection and defense are his biggest weaknesses. I like him a lot but he’s not playing more than Geo and we’ll see who starts at point by mid season.
That's interesting because I've read on this board that Young is already the best defender on the team.

Last edited:

This is based on personal observation? Young's stats at Texas? Unfortunately, he seems to be the type that never met a shot he didn't like, and he will have to be cured of that affliction.
He averaged 5 PPG in 63 games with Texas; shot 35%; 27% from 3. Had a couple of loud games, but imagine how poorly he shot in his non-loud games.

Outside of a lingering disdain for Geo, despite his being named Honorable Mention All-B1G as a soph, you are streaming our former coach, Fred Hill jr. He was always taken with his most recent recruit, and giving that recruit special treatment and virtually free rein. As did EJ with Sanders during his freshman year. Had Jacob Young been that good, he would have played more at Texas. Surely he didn't improve that much sitting out a year? He will be a nice piece. A piece. Would think the coaching staffs' hope is that by the time we get to the meat of our schedule, it is Mulcahy at PG; Geo at SG, with Mathis, Young and McConnnel filling out the guard minutes.
TL

Last edited:
I trust in Steve Pikiell. He will play the best guys necessary in all situations. I am just glad that we have so many guards who can contribute.

Reactions: needmorecowbell
That's interested because I've read on this board that Young is already the best defender on the team.
If that’s the case he should have no problem getting minutes. In the games I watched from Texas, I didn’t see that. He’s very quick and was able to steal the ball but not so much in other areas. I like him as a player and if he can be a major contributor, this team has a chance to really improve.

Reactions: dkostus
Kyk is not going to like this post. He's been raving about Young's defense. I side with kyk here. He's lightning quick and has some muscle to him. I can't see his weakness being defense. Shot selection seems like his issue

As for Paul, do they keep 3 point percent stats for HS? I'm curious to what type of percent he shot. Everyone says he struggles to shoot from the outside

Kyk is not going to like this post. He's been raving about Young's defense. I side with kyk here. He's lightning quick and has some muscle to him. I can't see his weakness being defense. Shot selection seems like his issue
He's very quick and our coaches teach good D, so hopefully he'll be good on D. Watching videos of Texas games he definitely got blown by on multiple occasions and his steals per 40 minutes are well below Baker's, but now he'll be a 4th year guy so I'm hoping he's much improved

Young is not a good outside shooter. Mulcahy is not a good outside shooter yet. I don't think they play too much together unless we go small with one big, three guards and Harper at the four. We can do that for stretches because our guards can rebound.

We have depth at the 1, 2, 3. The question is how good is that depth: Let’s look at teams 4-8 in league: do we have half a dozen role players on those teams; a couple who’d get big minutes (25+) with those teams; or maybe on who by season’s end or early ‘20-‘21) is a star?

We have depth at the 1, 2, 3. The question is how good is that depth: Let’s look at teams 4-8 in league: do we have half a dozen role players on those teams; a couple who’d get big minutes (25+) with those teams; or maybe on who by season’s end or early ‘20-‘21) is a star?

I am comfortable in saying that, at a minimum, Harper will be a "star," as he has the ability to score inside and outside and on the break; and he is a good defender also.

It also remains to be seen whether Geo becomes a star now that he will likely play a lion's share of his time off the ball. He's got the potential, that's for sure. And he's got the onions/big shot ability.

I agree the jury is solidly "out" on McConnell, Mathis, Mulcahy & Young, becoming stars (though I think they would make for a SUPER law firm, LOL). I think they all have the POTENTIAL to be stars, but they also have weaknesses that they will each need to resolve/minimize in order for it to happen.

People are fooled very easily by shooting percentages.

Mathis from the "re- start" of B1G play, actually has a very respectable percentage from 3 and essentially won the Minnesota game, with a clutch and must-have 3 pointer from the corner.

Here's the reality....teams are afraid to press Mathis. Because he's got the capability of getting his shoulders past his defender and to the basket to draw fouls....so teams that properly scout Mathis, are "giving" him the room to shoot a 3......that helps his shooting percentages from 3...

Teams playing against Young are going to be playing him to drive, because he's by far the quickest guy we have off the dribble...teams will give him room and reluctantly give him a 3......that should help his 3 point percentages.

I can see Mulcahy getting into the paint. Drawing and kicking out and scoring....and I can also see scouting reports adjusting and playing Mulcahy to drive....they will guard him closer, until he can prove he's quick enough to beat defenders off the dribble.....which is his strength......so teams will give him room to shoot the 3.....all he has to do is knock down open 3s....which if Mulcahy can make plays off the bounce (which he will), RU is a better team...despite his lack of showing he can shoot 3s, he should be solid.

Factor that with how teams guard Geo Baker, who can get by some defenders, but isn't a mid range off the dribble shooter. Geo creates shooting space, by "crossing and stepping back" to score. His 3 pointers are more contested or much more difficult than the ones Mathis, Young or Mulcahy's should be.

The 2 players who have the ability off of this past season to shoot 3s while being defended and the ability to generate his own offense off the dribble in traffic are McConnell and Harper Jr.

There are 3 point percentages that are legitimate examples and others that are scouted or "baked into" the numbers. I don't think anyone would argue that Baker, Harper are the 2 best 3 point shooters on the roster, but the way teams defend RU and how much our players improve on their weaknesses while maintaining their strengths is key.

After 50 years I have every reason to be gloomy but Mulcahy and Young give me hope. Do we need a frontcourt shooter and another big.? Yup .We do. Do I see Final Four soon? No but NIT would be a good start.

Teams playing against Young are going to be playing him to drive, because he's by far the quickest guy we have off the dribble...teams will give him room and reluctantly give him a 3......that should help his 3 point percentages.

I really want to believe this, but that's not been the way he's played for 2 years. It's possible that the coaching staff in this off year have been able to completely change his role/approach to the game, which would be great.

In 2 years and 63 games at Texas, Young shot 203 threes and just 119 twos.... 63% of his shots were from beyond the arc. He also shot just 36 FTs, meaning he drew very little contact in the lane while driving to the hoop for layups.

He did take a better mix of 3s to 2s as a sophomore (went from 73% as a freshman to 54% as a soph), so that may be trending in a better direction.

Reactions: kcg88
I really want to believe this, but that's not been the way he's played for 2 years. It's possible that the coaching staff in this off year have been able to completely change his role/approach to the game, which would be great.

In 2 years and 63 games at Texas, Young shot 203 threes and just 119 twos.... 63% of his shots were from beyond the arc. He also shot just 36 FTs, meaning he drew very little contact in the lane while driving to the hoop for layups.

He did take a better mix of 3s to 2s as a sophomore (went from 73% as a freshman to 54% as a soph), so that may be trending in a better direction.

That may have just been his "role" at Texas -- instant offense off the bench.

If it's one thing we've learned about Pike, he has the ability to "coach up" his players to share the game and play the right way, and with Young in the fold for 18 months before he suits up, I have no doubt Pike will get him on the same page with the team and play to his strengths.

That may have just been his "role" at Texas -- instant offense off the bench.

If it's one thing we've learned about Pike, he has the ability to "coach up" his players to share the game and play the right way, and with Young in the fold for 18 months before he suits up, I have no doubt Pike will get him on the same page with the team and play to his strengths.

That's what I'm hoping, that he was just misused and that Pike has a plan for him that will allow him to shine. Worked for Gettys, to be sure. But that's more faith in Pike and our staff than anything based on prior performance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT