ADVERTISEMENT

My Take From The Game Today

gef21

All Conference
Jan 25, 2005
1. We got beat vertically more than I was comfortable with. We play a very aggressive style of defense, and we got beat in man zero and man free a few times. Need to be better there.

2. We badly need a WR or TE to prove they can get vertical. We have 1 who can right now, and they man pressed him and shaded the safety over.

3. GW is close to being a really good QB. He extended some plays today and then just barely missed the throws. He also is learning how to run very well.

4. We run the ball well, and call the run well. We schemed our way to running through 8+ in the box. Our last TD was run against 10 in the box. I loved seeing us in Ace (two TE single back). Very hard formation to defend. Our YPC was phenomenal.

5. KM runs really, really well. His vision is special. Needs better hands out of the backfield.

6. Not sure if we decided to not adjust to the QB rushes, or we struggled against that. That has to get fixed going forward.

7. Thought play calling on pass plays was solid, we just did not hit on a bunch of open looks.

8. We recorded 4 sacks but we missed quite a few opportunities to put the QB on the ground. Can not give the other team opportunities.

1. We got beat vertically more than I was comfortable with. We play a very aggressive style of defense, and we got beat in man zero and man free a few times. Need to be better there.

2. We badly need a WR or TE to prove they can get vertical. We have 1 who can right now, and they man pressed him and shaded the safety over.

3. GW is close to being a really good QB. He extended some plays today and then just barely missed the throws. He also is learning how to run very well.

4. We run the ball well, and call the run well. We schemed our way to running through 8+ in the box. Our last TD was run against 10 in the box. I loved seeing us in Ace (two TE single back). Very hard formation to defend. Our YPC was phenomenal.

5. KM runs really, really well. His vision is special. Needs better hands out of the backfield.

6. Not sure if we decided to not adjust to the QB rushes, or we struggled against that. That has to get fixed going forward.

7. Thought play calling on pass plays was solid, we just did not hit on a bunch of open looks.

8. We recorded 4 sacks but we missed quite a few opportunities to put the QB on the ground. Can not give the other team opportunities.
On #2 what kind of a receiver is Brantley? Assuming the ncaa stuff gets settled at some point. I'm going from memory but I doubt Langan and Bowman have had 5 targets combined the entire season.

On #2 what kind of a receiver is Brantley? Assuming the ncaa stuff gets settled at some point. I'm going from memory but I doubt Langan and Bowman have had 5 targets combined the entire season.
Brantley or Long have the potential to be the other deep vertical threat. but both need to prove it.

Langan and Bowman have done a great job of occupying LBs and SSs on pass routes, but they can not get open. But they are respected enough to have to be covered. This is why CD has had success underneath. JJ is a good vertical threat but right now teams can press and shade to him and still stack the box.

We know Langan is not going to to be a passing threat as a TE. I’m mildly surprised that Bowman has been a complete non-factor. We don’t need Travis Kelce, but 3-4 TE targets per game would be nice.
They have been occupying LBs and SSs. This is why we can throw to RBs out of the backfield and CD can get open underneath. Can not look at passing concepts as single routes. Have to look at the combination.

I think GW will be good and is getting better. His ability to run is a big plus. But as our level of competition rises we will need his arm & accuracy to keep the defenses honest.

3rd quarter play calling seemed to be run the clock down. Which was odd to me, given 30.mins left and we were up < 3 scores. BUT we did wear down d-Line again in 4th qtr. So possible all those runs that did nothing in 3rd were doing what we needed. I would still like to see us pour some gas on the fire versus trying to keep it contained for 30 mins.

They will get Langan killed.
He gets vicious pops every game becaue they stand him in traffic like a totem pole.
Opposing DCs know his playbook
Defenders are on him like black on coal

Great intestinal fortitude by both the Offense and the Defense in the 4th Qtr.
This team has improved dramatically from last season and certainly this looks like a Bowl Team.
Great to see our fans stick with the game throughout …except for non-RU fans like Proud Boys NJ who bad mouthed the Team and left the Thread to do other things.

Brantley or Long have the potential to be the other deep vertical threat. but both need to prove it.

Langan and Bowman have done a great job of occupying LBs and SSs on pass routes, but they can not get open. But they are respected enough to have to be covered. This is why CD has had success underneath. JJ is a good vertical threat but right now teams can press and shade to him and still stack the box.
Thanks gef - let's hope Long was close to a go and will be ready for next week. It wasn't a vertical route but I remember long taking a slant last year against Michigan for near 50 yds. He's got some burst.

linebacker and secondary really stood out. Not in total agreement on #1 given that is our d line doesn't get the upfield push we'd need for this to be a non issue

loved some of the play calling after the 2 series up 7-0. thought OC did a great job overall.

Agree on TE/WR that can draw attention and/or open it up.

Reactions: gef21
linebacker and secondary really stood out. Not in total agreement on #1 given that is our d line doesn't get the upfield push we'd need for this to be a non issue

loved some of the play calling after the 2 series up 7-0. thought OC did a great job overall.

Agree on TE/WR that can draw attention and/or open it up.
We play inside leverage really well at the CB spot, but we had 3 times today we got beat vertically (all 3 were incomplete passes luckily). They easily could have been TDs.

Reactions: RUnTeX and Kbee3
We play inside leverage really well at the CB spot, but we had 3 times today we got beat vertically (all 3 were incomplete passes luckily). They easily could have been TDs.
I don't disagree but I think it's more about the the time the dbs are required to maintain that coverage. We've zero upfield pressure by our dline which adds to what you're saying. I think if we get more pressure sooner, the vertical weakness on outside doesn't come to fruition (at least not as much or as egregious) imho

Wimsatt missed second level post/crossing route a couple of times. Dremel and Washington both were running free and he did not see them. Also many routes are open early and the game is still moving a little fast for Wimsatt and he is late with the ball. He is settling in and is making great progress.

Wimsatt missed second level post/crossing route a couple of times. Dremel and Washington both were running free and he did not see them. Also many routes are open early and the game is still moving a little fast for Wimsatt and he is late with the ball. He is settling in and is making great progress.
I think we run crossing routes well. He must absolutely hit those going forward.

I think we run crossing routes well. He must absolutely hit those going forward.
Yea crossing routes will open up the verticals. Help occupy the safeties and corners will have to play with inside leverage.

I have heard Long will be fine. Hope that is true.
Looking at Brantley's stats - lower leagues obviously- but knowing nothing else - he's got some healthy yards per reception. Hope he can play asap as well.

We know Langan is not going to to be a passing threat as a TE. I’m mildly surprised that Bowman has been a complete non-factor. We don’t need Travis Kelce, but 3-4 TE targets per game would be nice.
Langan and Bowman now being used primarily in the blocking game but you will see them involved as receivers against teams going forward. Langan is too good an athlete and has proven quality in the passing game.

Think Minnesota run game with Ibrahim and Potts who transferred to our western neighbor PSU. That is what we are working at.

The VT receivers were tall - first time I felt like our DBs were out athleted and agree but for the throws our guys were beat.

That being said - overall sound and they did enough to contribute to the win.

Last edited:
Ya know....I almost missed this excellent thread. I was quickly skimming through the board and at first view assumed it was another one of those "my take" threads started by RutgersAl.
Luckily I looked a little closer and saw who started this thread. Thank you so much for your INFORMED opinion gef. You always contribute quality perspective.
BTW, I still can't believe Al's thread got almost 1,000 views. Seriously ?

Reading between the lines of what Greg has said and what has happened to others in similar situations, doubt Brantley will play this year. We are 3 games in, and Greg said tonight he had no idea what/when his status would be cleared.

When we got pressure from our front 7 we had good coverage in the pass game . In th 3 rd quarter we were unable to pressure Drossen and their pass game worked. That also helped their run game. 4 th Quarter much different.

I liked what I saw VTech try on offense. They made our defense WORK and be disciplined all game. Our D is legit and delivered. Kudos to them.

Finally seeing the wr come in motion to help block in the run game was smart.

We discard too many possessions if it's 3rd and more than 6. There are some low risk options that could give us a realistic chance at converting. This makes me sick.

The long td run was one of a small handful of plays that made me say "that was a well schemed play".

I'm praying we let Gavin throw the ball 30+ times against Wagner. He needs the work.

Reactions: BeantownKnight
Yes he does but we are 3-0 and he just looks like he is confident and learning. Remember he will turn 20 end of October… still a teenager of 19.

We discard too many possessions if it's 3rd and more than 6. There are some low risk options that could give us a realistic chance at converting. This makes me sick.
Agree with this 100%. We are way too resigned to just hope we bust a run or punt. Tells me they don't have a ton of confidence in Gavin, when you gotta have it.

Reactions: drewbagel423
On running the ball, it seems like we're using the WR motion to obscure the QB-RB mesh point on the read option. It seems like on the plays we hit big, the defense just could not see who had the ball and our guys instantly got a few steps ahead. The timing on these plays looks perfect.

Then on a few plays, the motioning WR instead turns upfield in from of KM and made a key block. Some really interesting use of motion on these plays.

Very impressed w blocking today, even in the WR ranks. We have a solid OC! w the way plays are being executed. Just gotta improve the passing game.

I was concerned quite a few times today with our DBs being beat.
Did not think Melton played a great overall game. He seemed a step or two behind on a few throws.

On the other side, impressed with run blocking by WR Washington.

I think he is a very good cb. But I think he takes risk that sometimes puts him in bad spots, like today.

But I also think he's out on an island because of how good he is. So he has a lot of press match up coverages with no help.
this

also, as you know, only a few seconds can be expected as the dbs are always disadvantaged. It's why we need better up front pressure without having to blitz too often

my view anyway

Agree with this 100%. We are way too resigned to just hope we bust a run or punt. Tells me they don't have a ton of confidence in Gavin, when you gotta have it.
Exactly right. On 3rd and passing downs, Schiano already committed to punting. We started 3-0 last year too. If still no confidence in QB this year either, it will be a repeat 4-8 season.

Exactly right. On 3rd and passing downs, Schiano already committed to punting. We started 3-0 last year too. If still no confidence in QB this year either, it will be a repeat 4-8 season.
Hey clueless. Why don’t you tell us all when Rutgers covered the spread in 3 straight games ? By a lot ? When have you seen a Rutgers team reverse momentum on a dime and dominate the fourth quarter before and pull away? 2 weeks in a row ? When have you seen a Rutgers team dominate first halves with time of possession and defense like this ? You simpleton , yes the third quarter looked rough but how about the rest of the game. How about commenting about our score with 4 seconds to go in the half even though we were getting the ball to start second half ? Were you impressed ?

Or do you just post clueless crap on this board and the basketball board. You are the most pathetic fan any team has to endure. Go root for another team because you are toxic and have very little sports IQ.

Also liked the run blocking by all the WR group and TE’s. Have not seen that for a very long time. Also think the O line is coming along . Over the next 5-6 weeks we will need to be even better. Finally it appears we have some depth , strength and size in order to compete in this league.

Reactions: thegock
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT