ADVERTISEMENT

My thoughts On visiting Madison for the Wisconsin Game - long

As a footnote to nothing, in Wisconsin parking garages are known as ramps, Water fountains are known as bubblers.

I lived in Madison (three blocks from Capitol Square) from 2004 to 2014 and worked for the University. To me the most awe inspiring event at a UW football or basketball contest was the singing of "Varsity" especially at the Kohl Center by 18,000 people in an enclosed space.

"Varsity"

Financially a parking deck makes zero sense and would get no use other than 6 games a year.
What are you talking about? The parking decks would be used year round for parking by faculty, staff and students. This isn't a FB specific parking deck. I'm saying that you would green all the current parking lots on all campuses and put a couple of parking decks on busch, cook/douglas, Livingston and college ave to compensate for the loss in parking spaces. For tailgating you could either park at the decks and wheel your stuff to a designated tailgate spot or drive up and setup at a tailgate spot in one of the numerous greened over spaces. What exactly is the problem here? Not only would it make the campus look better, it'll tie the campuses together and make it feel more seamless rather than like 5 disjointed mini-campuses. That's what's missing from making the RU campus feel more like a P5 campus like at Ohio St or WI (not buildings).

Last edited:
Reactions: RUsSKii
My recap from this weekend:

-Apart from the weather and score, Camp Randall was just as fun as I expected it to be. Jump Around was awesome (and a good workout!!), and the Build Me Up Buttercup was epic! (they did an entire kickoff while the student section was still singing) The majority of people left after the Jump Around. I sat in front of some friendly, knowledgable older UW fans and a high schooler who apparently brought a bunch of her friends to their first game (she explained some of the traditions to them). The stadium seemed to have a double corridor where I entered around the back (the first part looked like the underbelly of stadiums where they drive service vehicles, and then went through doors into an actual inner concourse).

-I stayed for the 5th Quarter despite being soaked to my socks. It was organized chaos in the silliest form! The band and cheerleaders split into smaller groups after playing both fight songs and Varsity. Some played instruments while lying down, others danced around cops standing on the field, others trying to serenade a few individuals. Then they did the Chicken Dance and ended with Varsity again. The scoreboard had the countdown clock on and actually said QTR 5.

-One highlight of the Les Mis halftime show was how they all knelt down except for a trumpet soloist playing Do You Hear the People Sing, and slowly more band members stood up and joined in until everyone stood. They play their alma mater at halftime instead of after the national anthem. Just like our band, they send smaller groups to play around the stands. I must have heard On Wisconsin dozens of times that day.

-Leaving the stadium, I ended up running into the band as they marched back to the building where they keep their equipment. They are crazy, in a good way! Some of them had crazy ways to cross railroad tracks in the middle of a road, and I was behind one band guy who marched on the sidewalk, arguing with some others before running into a pole. (One of my Uber drivers dated a band member and said they pick out someone to do that every game.)

-There's a nice big arch and some little exhibits around the stadium grounds about the site's Civil War camp significance (that was the original Camp Randall).

-UW has their own sports drink called Badger Max. It's fruitier than Gatorade.

-Bucky Badger wore several Halloween costumes during the game (Superman, Transformer, pirate, and a few more).

-Some UW people swore RU had beaten them before. I said they must be confusing the team or the sport, because they shut us out last year in worse rain!

-Freakin' Corey Clement and Tanner McEvoy. My best friend is friends with Clement's dad, who stops at my friend's liquor store.

-All the Badger fans rightfully complained during RU's pick-6, but it was a bright spot for our team.

-I thought Rettig had more poise out there, despite overthrowing.

Non-football related stuff:

-I sat near PiscatawayMike on one of the flights out. There were a bunch of RU fans on all my flights. Connected in MSP, where I saw a mouse by a neighboring gate on the way home.

-Despite the warnings here about Badger fans being assholes, the ones I met were all friendly and welcoming! I had great conversations with people who moved to Madison, and they all liked it there whether they came from a small Wisconsin farm town or Chicago. (It is a different culture from the Northeast, though.) I had dinner at the Old Fashioned on Friday night, and the bartender gave me a sampler of quintessential Wisconsin beers when he found out I wasn't from the area. (I said I was told to try the Spotted Cow.)

-Spotted Cow is an "inoffensive", smooth farmhouse ale. It's the go-to beer in WI, and only sold there. The Old Fashioned bartender said the New Glarus brewery is the 17th-biggest brewery in the US.

-PBR was proudly listed among lists of great WI beers.

-I stopped at the Dane County Farmers Market around the State House on Saturday morning before the game to pick up some local cheese. Most of the cheese sellers had samples. I ended up buying cheddar curds and juustoleipa (Scandinavian-style bread cheese that gets a toast-like crust when grilled).

-Freakfest was a blast! There were some amazing costumes, including zombies on stilts, a giraffe, mascot suits, two Jamaican bobsled teams, and a banana stampede. I packed a costume (a green and yellow parakeet kigurumi/ fleece onesie), ate, drank, took pictures of people in costume, and listened to some of the musicians. There were 3 stages set up down State Street. One was by the State House, another was at the opposite end of the street, and another was a few blocks down from that. The main stage artists could be heard pretty far down because they faced State Street and not a side road. I had some people ask me about my costume. Because I have an RU silicone card holder on my phone case, some people recognized me, including a UW student I had talked to at the Old Fashioned the night before (she was with a very clever group dressed as seats on a Packers emotional rollercoaster). Two other dudes yelled "GO RUTGERS" as I was taking a video of the crowd. I was exhausted as it ended, and the end of DST was to my advantage that night.

-I went to State Street Brats before Freakfest and joined a bunch of RU people who were Cook College grads, and one of them lived in East Brunswick! They had two Wisconsin ladies as tour guides, and I ended up bar-hopping with them. They took us to Mondays for shots and dancing, and then to Wando's for a fishbowl... and that fishbowl must have been 1/3 bigger than the ones at Stuff Yer Face!

-Stopped by the UW Arboretum before my flight home to check out one of their restored prairies. Their arboretum is bigger than Rutgers Gardens, and the visitor center is nice with windows overlooking that prairie. It was a gorgeous day on Sunday.

Overall, I had a great time in Wisconsin. I highly recommend the trip to anyone, 2018 or later.

Thanks for the well written description of your weekend there RULady, sounds like you had a great time. I 'm hoping to make it in 2018.

I did not stay out very late but FreakFest was not much in terms of some of the horror stories. We did eat dinner just a block from State street. The parade of people going by was entertaining. Madison>NB and State Street>Easton Ave.

We ate at some good places, there was nice shopping. Campus was very nice The dismal weather Saturday was the only down side. A big difference between a Madison and say a Bloomington is the water. All the lake front made for a much nicer environment.

Before the game a Badger fan was saying to stay away that Freakfest it was very dangerous. I sort of surmised he might have been from a less cosmopolitan district of the Diary State if you know what I mean.
Just judging by the highway from Milwaukee to Madison as nice as Madison is there is a whole lot of rural not much out there.

Last edited:
Lady RU's review was spot on. UW was really nice. Right up next to the lake is very impressive. City like, yet up there with Cal Berkley as most scenic with lake and stunning State House framed by State Street. We were bummed that the outside of the student union next to the water was under construction. Imposing stature of Lincoln overlooking campus. Cool.

State Street much better than Easton Avenue and a much better comparison is George Street. State Street Brats was wonderful for a great college and Wisconsin food experience. Personal favorite was the white brat. I know its a function of size but some cool big sports bars which New Brunswick still sorely lacks, The Double U- (So Clever) but liked the ChurchKey in an old church even better. Cute and friendly bartenders. Wando's was fun for a red Rutgers fishbowl experience. UW fans could not be friendlier and tolerated Mets fans. Stayed at the Lowell, a functional, no frills, small, but still fine, inexpensive,clean, efficienct room in a sweet location.

Local newspapers and student papers openly questioning why Flood is still coach. Had a tombstone with Flood's name on it. Yikes!

Game day was brutal. Up there with RU away at Pitt and WVU and several away Army games as tough weather experiences. It became an Indoor pre-game tailgate at yet another Student Union. A lifesaver, packed and fun. I guess it would be like turning Busch Student Center to a tailgate experience which is smart but much bigger. Like Lady Ru said, Spotted Cow was a great mild drinkable tailgating beer. Highly recommend.

Attendance tards and get in the seats fans early will be disappointed as Wisconsin no different than RU. Late arriving and never really filled up. Students even more late and bolted en masse after Jump. Nice crowd though considering early start time and the weather. Can never rip RU fans again. No different. Stadium reminded me of a smaller Nebraska. Great old stadium and so much better than the mess that is PSU. Good sightlines, cozy and am a fan of fulled enclosed stadiums. Just feels more intimate.

Loved the, Build Me Up ButterCup, Shout and Jump Around by UW students. Wild fun sing-a-long songs sung by a student body that was not even born when songs were written. They did this whole head and body up and down thing after each TD. Good visual. Not completely sold on it though.

RU DJ's/Sound System should take note. Stop trying to be hip, clever, current and play to entire audience including alumi. Football games really not the place for experimenting or trying to be oh so cool. Suggestion: Play the very dance-able Rogues' jig/version of our Alma Matter and We're Having a Party should be a staple! Bruce, Frank Valli or Sinatra might work too. Really should be more New Jersey centirc. Not that difficult. Drives me nuts. We all have a huge soft spot for Don't Stop Believing but after the first verse a really difficult sing a long song. Beauty of Butter Cup!

Game itself was brutal. At times we ran the ball okay. Regardless of how you feel about the Laviano/Rettig debate, not starting Rettig to start the 2nd half was ridiculous and patently unfair. Not very stand-up ish. Rettig to WR in one play more passing yards then rest of game. Makes head spin. Give the kid a chance.

Inside of the Capital State House Building was wondeful and makes you jealous and mad at New Jersey. Great great public building. Had an awesome brunch at Heritage Tavern near the State House. Highly recommend. As brutal as Saturday was, Sunday was warm & beautiful. Lots of Packer garb on the Streets.

Freakfest was fun! They take Halloween serious. Never felt dangerous at all. Fun Knight!

Hope to return in 2018.

Last edited:
RU DJ's/Sound System should take note. Stop trying to be hip, clever, current and play to entire audience including alumi. Football games really not the place for experimenting or trying to be oh so cool. Suggestion: Play the very dance-able Rogues' jig/version of our Alma Matter and We're Having a Party should be a staple! Bruce, Frank Valli or Sinatra might work too. Really should be more New Jersey centirc. Not that difficult. Drives me nuts. We all have a huge soft spot for Don't Stop Believing but after the first verse a really difficult sing a long song. Beauty of Butter Cup!
Couldn't agree more. Havin' a Party is a Sam Cooke original, but most in NJ think of it as Southside Johnny's masterpiece. Play it between the first and second quarters when the student section is filled. Everyone will sing along. Make it "R" staple!

A couple things I forgot to add:

-A TSA guy at the Madison airport after I landed there on Friday saw my RU gear and welcomed me to Des Moines.

-Local planespotters went giddy over the RU team's charter 767 because they usually don't get planes like that over there. Even the airport's Facebook page mentioned it.

-Some UW people swore RU had beaten them before. I said they must be confusing the team or the sport, because they shut us out last year in worse rain!

Great write up Lady RU. Unfortunately for me, the rain and the early kickoff and the terrible performance by RU drove me back to my hotel early, but I agree 100% with you, Madison was a great place.

Maybe those UW fans were referring to our BB triumph over them last year.

Reactions: LadyRU09
I can just see carrying all my tailgating crap into an open field to tailgate only to be told by some drunk f-tard with his own DJ equipment that the entire area is his (in his mind).

That would end real well.

Nix the close-bay parking decks.. however.. put one in Johnson park.. protect it from most floods.. allow exit to River Road.. use it as a commuter lot with a shuttle to the train station on weekdays... allow students to keep their cars there for those who don't have permission to keep a car on campus.

Put in a couple satellite lots on the outskirts of blue/yellow/green lots. Closer than the other lots.. walk-able.. but not meant for tailgates.. make sure there is easy in / easy out access. That is.. don't have trqaffic to and from those decks mix with the regular tailgate lot traffic.

And start ripping up a lot of the smaller paved lots and green them. Ask President Christie to make it happen on some Fed job program dime.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT