ADVERTISEMENT

N.J. State Wrestling Championships HQ: LIVE VIDEO, brackets, results and coverage from Phillipsburg

Weaver is horrendous defensively.

With that being said, the HS out of bounds rule is even worse. He had the guy on his back and was still partially in the circle, but it was ruled out of bounds.

Weaver is horrendous defensively.

With that being said, the HS out of bounds rule is even worse. He had the guy on his back and was still partially in the circle, but it was ruled out of bounds.
Never understood why that rule is different for high school. Seems like the one foot in rule that the NCAA has is way easier and cleaner to enforce

Reactions: Leonard23 and MS-RU
Weaver loses 12-5, what a disappointment. He will wrestle for 7th.

Hunter Mays looks legit, he has been dominating everyone in his path. Hopefully we have our eye on him and are reaching out.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
This heavyweight semi with O'Donnell is one of the most boring matches I've ever watched. No has done anything, literally lol.

O'Donnell wins 4-2 in UTB and will face Szuba in the finals

EDIT: Final was 3-2. I thought he had the reversal but they called it an escape.

Last edited:
Reactions: MS-RU
Weaver loses 12-5, what a disappointment. He will wrestle for 7th.
Never understood the hype surrounding Weaver tbh... I remember when Iowa state was heavily recruiting him and we won that battle. I thought he would have improved a lot more since then...

Really, really, want Jimmy Mullen at Heavy in a few years. Heard he won the out of state tourney he was wrestling in. Maybe like Kyonte, we can have him as a dual athlete with football/wrestling.

Never understood the hype surrounding Weaver tbh... I remember when Iowa state was heavily recruiting him and we won that battle. I thought he would have improved a lot more since then...

He also took official visits to Oklahoma State as well. Not saying he was necessarily a take, but they were clearly interested given his early success in high school. He was explosive and very dangerous offensively, you could tell he was still raw but he was always looking to score on the big move, even if he meant putting himself in a bad spot occasionally. With the right development (and him being from Lyndhurst so he was connected with Donny) he had the making of a potential stud.

He had a great/promising start at 126 as a freshman at BC and then even has a sophomore at Lyndhurst at 138. That year he went 33-2 and gave Aragona one of his toughest match of the season (Aragona squeaked out a 6-4 decision) despite him being a top P4P recruit in the country and going undefeated winning a state title, winning Beast of the East (beating Mastro in finals) & and defending his #1 ranking Flo's Who Is #1 (where he beat top guys such as Keegen O'Toole and Gabe Tagg).

With that said, ever since he bumped up to 152 last season and 160 this year, he has absolutely regressed. He looks slow and undersized. He regularly gets out muscled and gives up every easy take downs with little resistance. Struggles from getting out from bottom. I'm not sure if he doesn't want to cut, but I think he needs to be at a lower weight if he wants to stand a chance in college.

I think part of the problem is that he no longer wrestled in preseason or off season tournaments, he didn't wrestle anywhere from last March until the season kicked off in March 2021. In contrast while he was at BC and right after he transferred, he competed at Beast, the Doc Buchanan, Escape the Rock, Virginia Beach Nationals, etc. but that all stopped. He no longer wrestled elite, out of state competition to compete against the best. His freshman year he wrestled Beau Bartlett, Pat Glory, Ricky Cabanillas, Sean Pierson, etc...the last two years combined he hasn't wrestled anyone close to those levels and not having that experience and development really hurt him IMO.

It's easy to see why Goody/Donny and other top coaches around the country were interested early on but hopefully at the right weight and with the proper training he can get back on track with his development to make an impact in a few years. Hopefully he sticks with it.

Last edited:
Pascack had 3 champs in 77. Only 12 weight classes but there were also way less schools (some of which didn’t even have wrestling) than there are today
Catalpho brothers and Husted

Supposedly a car hit a utility pole and knocked out everything.
Probably a PSU fan.
Maybe they knew something and that's why we won the battle. Same goes for OSU.

He also took official visits to Oklahoma State as well. Not saying he was necessarily a take, but they were clearly interested given his early success in high school. He was explosive and very dangerous offensively, you could tell he was still raw but he was always looking to score on the big move, even if he meant putting himself in a bad spot occasionally. With the right development (and him being from Lyndhurst so he was connected with Donny) he had the making of a potential stud.

He had a great/promising start at 126 as a freshman at BC and then even has a sophomore at Lyndhurst at 138. That year he went 33-2 and gave Aragona one of his toughest match of the season (Aragona squeaked out a 6-4 decision) despite him being a top P4P recruit in the country and going undefeated winning a state title, winning Beast of the East (beating Mastro in finals) & and defending his #1 ranking Flo's Who Is #1 (where he beat top guys such as Keegen O'Toole and Gabe Tagg).

With that said, ever since he bumped up to 152 last season and 160 this year, he has absolutely regressed. He looks slow and undersized. He regularly gets out muscled and gives up every easy take downs with little resistance. Struggles from getting out from bottom. I'm not sure if he doesn't want to cut, but I think he needs to be at a lower weight if he wants to stand a chance in college.

I think part of the problem is that he no longer wrestled in preseason or off season tournaments, he didn't wrestle anywhere from last March until the season kicked off in March 2021. In contrast while he was at BC and right after he transferred, he competed at Beast, the Doc Buchanan, Escape the Rock, Virginia Beach Nationals, etc. but that all stopped. He no longer wrestled elite, out of state competition to compete against the best. His freshman year he wrestled Beau Bartlett, Pat Glory, Ricky Cabanillas, Sean Pierson, etc...the last two years combined he hasn't wrestled anyone close to those levels and not having that experience and development really hurt him IMO.

It's easy to see why Goody/Donny and other top coaches around the country were interested early on but hopefully at the right weight and with the proper training he can get back on track with his development to make an impact in a few years. Hopefully he sticks with it.
Some kids also peak early because they're stronger and more athletic but then stagnate or regress, especially jumping up in weights. Anyone know why he didn't seem to wrestle much the past year? It's easy to criticize that after seeing that so many others never stopped training and wrestled in a bunch of these off-season matches, but who knows if he had health issues (injury or something else) or maybe someone in his family did. We never got answers why. I hope he develops but I also hope we don't have a bunch of money tied up in case he doesn't.

Some kids also peak early because they're stronger and more athletic but then stagnate or regress, especially jumping up in weights. Anyone know why he didn't seem to wrestle much the past year? It's easy to criticize that after seeing that so many others never stopped training and wrestled in a bunch of these off-season matches, but who knows if he had health issues (injury or something else) or maybe someone in his family did. We never got answers why. I hope he develops but I also hope we don't have a bunch of money tied up in case he doesn't.

No idea, don't want to speculate either so I didn't but he didn't really do much his junior year either so it wasn't isolated to the last 12 months. I'm sure he was working out/training, but live wrestling like that can't be replicated especially against top competition.

Soldano dominated for his 2nd state title. Made it look easy. He's a beast.

At the end of the night, the Shore will have 5 champs and 4 runners up. Good weekend for the conference.

O'donnel looked like he had steel in his shoulder blades and the mat was a high powered magnet. First time watching him. He is a big boy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT