ADVERTISEMENT

Nate Schon - A Pa.State Champ lists RU in his Top Five - We Need Him

He wrestles at 220 lb and graduates in 2021, same as Kyonte Hamilton. So, assuming Kyonte is our HWT, Schon would have to wrestle 197.

Schon was a 220 pound freshman.
I don't think the odds of him getting to 197 pounds are good.
Shouldn’t matter. Get as many top level bodies as you can regardless of weight class. There’s so many variables transitioning to college wrestling that you don’t know who is and isn’t going to pan out, weight classes change, some guys change their life plans, etc.

One of the benefits to the newer transfer rules is that there aren’t really internal restrictions on who the targets are. Get as many as you can. Worry about the rest later.

His
Shouldn’t matter. Get as many top level bodies as you can regardless of weight class. There’s so many variables transitioning to college wrestling that you don’t know who is and isn’t going to pan out, weight classes change, some guys change their life plans, etc.

One of the benefits to the newer transfer rules is that there aren’t really internal restrictions on who the targets are. Get as many as you can. Worry about the rest later.

While that's 100% true from the program's perspective, it's a delicate balance/process when it comes to managing relationships with the student-athletes. You don't want to over-recruit someone, especially in the same class and then have them feel disrespected, lied to, etc.. recruits and their families talk.

None of us know what's be said or the relationships between the staff and the recruits, but typically it's very hard to land two top 30 overall guys at the same weight especially when it's at heavyweight and there really isn't an option to bump up or down. While it certainly can be done, but I don't think anyone here would risk losing Hamilton just to land Schon. Again, I would love to land both and then figure it out in the room but I imagine that's a tall task for the coaching staff. Hopefully they can get it done though!

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Let's worry about who will wrestle where after the kid commits. There must be a good reason why our staff is chasing after Schon.

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
This might be the lure of playing with Greg Schiano (One of the articles i read on Nate Schon is he might want to consider playing football).

K. Hamilton is #4 on the big board for Flo. He isn't worried about competition (IMO).

You just can't load up on the best kids regardless of weight class because of scholarship money. You have to be smart on how much money you spend on each weight class.

You just can't load up on the best kids regardless of weight class because of scholarship money. You have to be smart on how much money you spend on each weight class.

I don't disagree. However, it is my understanding that, in this case Kyonte is receiving his scholarship via the football program, not the wrestling program.

Reactions: ruready07
if you Wrestle and play 1 play in Football you have to be counted as a Full Scholarship Football player. I was just talking about the post you should just bring in the best guys Regardless of their weight class.

if you Wrestle and play 1 play in Football you have to be counted as a Full Scholarship Football player. I was just talking about the post you should just bring in the best guys Regardless of their weight class.

Is that season by season or does that stick for their entire career even if he were to give up football at one point after a year or two? I'm not really sure how to the dual sport scholarship arrangements work.

Is that season by season or does that stick for their entire career even if he were to give up football at one point after a year or two? I'm not really sure how to the dual sport scholarship arrangements work.

If he gives up football, he gets no football scholarship and would need to get his scholarship money from the wrestling program.
I am glad they are recruiting Schon as well. I am still not convinced coach Schiano is going to be that flexible with K. Hamilton. Schon is very talented..placed 8th at 220 as a Freshman, 1st as a Soph, and 2nd this year(losing to the same kid in very close matches in Region final and State final).

While that's 100% true from the program's perspective, it's a delicate balance/process when it comes to managing relationships with the student-athletes. You don't want to over-recruit someone, especially in the same class and then have them feel disrespected, lied to, etc.. recruits and their families talk.

None of us know what's be said or the relationships between the staff and the recruits, but typically it's very hard to land two top 30 overall guys at the same weight especially when it's at heavyweight and there really isn't an option to bump up or down. While it certainly can be done, but I don't think anyone here would risk losing Hamilton just to land Schon. Again, I would love to land both and then figure it out in the room but I imagine that's a tall task for the coaching staff. Hopefully they can get it done though!
Sure you want to do right by all the kids but that’s basically impossible for a good program to do. We’ve taken a step up in recent years and in the last 6 months we’ve already seen two former NQ’s transfer out.

As far as this particular situation, who knows? To play devils advocate, maybe Kyonte ends up going the football exclusive route. Maybe he doesn’t live up to potential. As an unsigned recruit, maybe he takes a better offer elsewhere. I’m not concerned about any of these three possibilities, but no one knows what the future holds. I’d rather have a ton of chips to play with.

Wrestling scholarships are so embarrassingly spread thin that I’m not sure how much the best guys on the team get besides the top of the line elites. Baseball is the only major sport I can think of that is worse when it comes to the amount of scholarships the NCAA allows.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Actually Kyonte is coming in on football money not wrestling so that frees up a spot for wrestling. And as far as wrestling man get the best around and let them bang it out in the room to see who gets the spot. Hell snyder could transfer in WE AINT going no where lol

Actually Kyonte is coming in on football money not wrestling so that frees up a spot for wrestling. And as far as wrestling man get the best around and let them bang it out in the room to see who gets the spot. Hell snyder could transfer in WE AINT going no where lol

Awesome! Love to hear this and everyone is incredibly excited to have your family at RU!

Those words are music to my ears. As some have posted, get as many as you can and let them duke it out. That's great and all, but it does make some people like me on the outside wonder how each new commit will affect current/future commits and present wrestlers on the team. I am very pleased to hear of Kyonte's unwavering commitment.

Love it. I really hope Kyonte can balance both sports for four (five?) years because that type of mentality is something that isn’t something that can be taught and usually reserved for the great ones.

Do you know if Kyonte redshirts in one sport, does he have to redshirt in the other to maintain eligibility in both sports?

I am an admitted outlier who knows a little about a little here but is Pitt a program to reckon with ?

Word.

Love this! Use my man Antonio Garay as inspiration. Garay was both an All American HWT for Boston College as well as an All American D Lineman who would later play in the NFL for Chicago and San Diego.

:TwoHands: :Heart SHARP AXE

Go RU!
Diane

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
We have been after Schon for over 8 months and sometimes when the train leaves the station there are no more seats available on the train. It will happen in the future with kids we are after more and more.

We have been after Schon for over 8 months and sometimes when the train leaves the station there are no more seats available on the train. It will happen in the future with kids we are after more and more.

WNG -Did Schon commit elsewhere? If yes, where? I thought the coaches recently indicated they really want him.

I don’t think he committed yet but money is tight now which was my only concern

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT