ADVERTISEMENT

New Transfer transfer Asa Garcia -- 133 pounds

MS-RU

All American
Gold Member
Aug 9, 2013
Last edited by a moderator:
I mean this can't suck right?

Kid seems legit based on that summary, but I don't know d1ck about wrestling!!

@Lex Knapp

Isn't it unusual to be announcing his transfer at this point in the season? Will he be here in January and eligible to wrestle immediately? He sounds like a very good get for RU and evidently was well enough known in Indiana that other top wrestlers followed him to IU.

Interesting, seems out of the blue. We didn't get a "Boom" or even a whiff that this might be in the works. Love to get the backstory on how this one went down.

I wonder if this has anything to do with Raimo’s injury or if they think he’ll grow into 149/157

Reactions: njsportsphan
Garcia has a nice win over Jack Medley.. we are going to have a logjam at 33-49 so someone needs to separate themselves. Peterson/ Olivieri/ Alverez/ White/

I thought Peterson was 125? Also have 3x state champ Olivieri in the mix, plus Anthony White at 149 who has been running through everyone while in redshirt

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Asa will be sitting behind Alverez at 141 if thats what his intentions are is to wrestle 141 next year.

at 133 he has a better chance beating out Oliveri.

at 149 next year he has no chance beating out White.

Realistically he will be a great practice room partner and add depth but I can't see him being a starter at anywhere but 33 next year and thats a big IF.

125 has two very good wrestlers and I'd hate to see either one of them sitting. Shawver has done an excellent job so far this year. I think he'll hold his own the rest of the year.
Garcia got just two matches last year. He must not be a starter this year, thus the move; my guess. I hope he doesn't have a history of injuries. He has no chance at 141 next year unless Sammy surprises by staying at 133. Assuming Sammy makes the move to 141 - or could he move up to 149? - there will be some competition at 133 and with Chletsos moving in but probably redshirting. White will probably own 149. Kanniard is safe at 157 but hopefully improves. 174, once thought a strength is now in question. With Soldano coming in along with Casale, both are capable of starting as true frosh. I once thought Soldano would keep growing and occupy 197 but have some doubts now. I even wonder if he could cut to 174 in the event that Turley doesn't recover. There are definitely some guys that we don't want sitting.

We can never have too many good wrestlers! Steel sharpens steel.
wng, on a serious note what is Goody thinking when he brings all these light weights in and not emphasizing the middleweights which were having such a proverbial problem with. Is it that the culture we've created that we have successful lightweights that are the top of the heap coming here...or does Scott think that we set the tone with great light weights, and that's why he recruits them. Either which way it's a perennial problem , that never seems to get tesolved. It gets mentioned in and out by every fan, parent of the program and even faculty, yet it never gets fixed. I hate to say it but I think the Leo situation, is why we have this downward trajectory. We were known for a long time for not having good middle to upper middle weights and it seems to curse us. It seems to never get resolved and it really sucks that we all constantly gripe about it.Fix the F%cling situation, plain and simple. We've got the whole athletic dept behind up
Get some dough and anti up for a great middle weight volunteer coach.

• Haha
Reactions: mikemessner
wng, on a serious note what is Goody thinking when he brings all these light weights in and not emphasizing the middleweights which were having such a proverbial problem with. Is it that the culture we've created that we have successful lightweights that are the top of the heap coming here...or does Scott think that we set the tone with great light weights, and that's why he recruits them. Either which way it's a perennial problem , that never seems to get tesolved. It gets mentioned in and out by every fan, parent of the program and even faculty, yet it never gets fixed. I hate to say it but I think the Leo situation, is why we have this downward trajectory. We were known for a long time for not having good middle to upper middle weights and it seems to curse us. It seems to never get resolved and it really sucks that we all constantly gripe about it.Fix the F%cling situation, plain and simple. We've got the whole athletic dept behind up
Our middleweight coaches are 2x NCAA champ at 165 and world silver medalist Donny Pritzlaff and 149 NCAA champ, Anthony Ashnault who probably walks around at 160. We also have SKWC athlete NCAA champ at 184, Myles Martin. We could use a HWT coach or a really light guy but a middleweight coach is not the problem. Our problem is/was that a number of guys (it happens at every school) didn’t pan out, specifically Glasgow. Also we thought we had McFadden and for whatever reason he went elsewhere. As evidenced by 125 at PSU, losing one guy/one top recruit not working out can set you back at the weight for years. We need to develop the recruits we have and hit the transfer portal for an experienced guy. I doubt Garcia is getting much/any money at 133 so no reason not to take him.

We are 10-0 with not even a close match as of yet ..yea the competition wasn’t B10 but what planet are you living on if you think we are on a downward trend especially with the recruits we have coming in...your perspective must come from the bottom of too many liquor bottles .

We are 10-0 with not even a close match as of yet ..yea the competition wasn’t B10 but what planet are you living on if you think we are on a downward trend especially with the recruits we have coming in...your perspective must come from the bottom of too many liquor bottles .
Lol, yup....If only Turley and Poz were upperweights...man we would be good. Lets hope Soldano and Casale can gain some weight prior to next season so they dont log jam us at 33-41

Thanks guys for answering the question for me as I just finished watching Schindler’s Lidt for 3+ hours. My humble opinion is that Scott and staff look at a wrestler and if he truly loves to compete and loves to wrestle then he is interested in him. He learned his lesson with kids like Glasgow who had the talent but his heart was not in it. I honestly feel we have a wonderful coaching staff at all levels. We are never going to bat 1000%. Sorry.

There’s a bit of a soft underbelly in the middle weeights in NJ for a couple years. You have a couple legit D1 guys in ayzerov and troczynski but they were Ivy bound from the start. That’s why building out of state pipeline is so important, which I believe there are signs of. I’m a little disappointed that Hunter Mays escaped to Rider —he would have been a nice addition. But most importantly, 170 is loaded with talented juniors (plus Cerchio). I’d love to see us land a commit or two from that group.

Asa will be sitting behind Alverez at 141 if thats what his intentions are is to wrestle 141 next year.

at 133 he has a better chance beating out Oliveri.

at 149 next year he has no chance beating out White.

Realistically he will be a great practice room partner and add depth but I can't see him being a starter at anywhere but 33 next year and thats a big IF.
Might wanna do your homework on the kid, just looking at Flo & Track he’s beaten Alvarez 2x at Flo Nationals when it was Folkstyle & National Jr. Freestyle . He’ll be a solid 141 for years to come in that lineup .

Last edited:
Reactions: njsportsphan
Might wanna do your homework on the kid, just looking at Flo & Track he’s beaten Alvarez 2x at Flo Nationals & National Freestyle . He’ll be a solid 141 for years to come in that lineup .
Interesting. I'd like to hear how he looks when in the room. I'm curious about just two matches last year and why. I'm hoping he didn't have an injury that will resurface.

Might wanna do your homework on the kid, just looking at Flo & Track he’s beaten Alvarez 2x at Flo Nationals when it was Folkstyle & National Jr. Freestyle . He’ll be a solid 141 for years to come in that lineup .
Not doubting his ability but Alavarez is a significantly better wrestler than he was 3 years ago. I’d be pretty surprised if Garcia were to beat him currently, assuming their weights line up.

Nice high school wins. Alvarez has since jumped levels and it's highly improbable those results would be duplicated today.

Nice high school wins. Alvarez has since jumped levels and it's highly improbable those results would be duplicated today.
High school wins mean virtually nothing at the college level. Especially looking on the wrestler Alverez is now opposed to his high school days.

Alverez is a couple takedowns better then Garcia on his worst day. Still a great partner to have in the room for the light weight group.

Reactions: belushijo
Interesting match at Flo Nationals, interesting that they used college rules . HS Senior Alverez was highly ranked then . Senior Garcia flirting in the Flo rankings . Yes it’s high school match and we don’t anything on Garcia. This was the only head 2 head matches I found on both . The other being Freestyle match on Trackwrestling. Just very interesting .

Between Shawver, Peterson, Olivieri, Raimo, Garcia, Alvarez, and White, a few guys are going to have to take a backseat. It’s a good problem from an overall team perspective.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT