ADVERTISEMENT

Nike Currently Gives $130,000 to RU for Uniform Contract

Just hope for better Uni's. Last year's were bleh and meh. The Floodies would have worked if you could read the numbers.

Reactions: Leonard23
I think it's adidas for Rutgers.
Can confirm. Adidas will be the next deal. Not sure about $$ but it's a good bet that athletics will be getting more apparel to give to athletes, etc. since Adidas products are much cheaper. Nike very much cheaped-out on RU. Even the Band had to pay $60 for the black Nike warmups. Hopefully Adidas (since they have less brands) will do some cool stuff with RU. Will have to wait and see. Glad RU made the switch back to Coke this year, now we get to see a big apparel change too.

Can confirm. Adidas will be the next deal. Not sure about $$ but it's a good bet that athletics will be getting more apparel to give to athletes, etc. since Adidas products are much cheaper. Nike very much cheaped-out on RU. Even the Band had to pay $60 for the black Nike warmups. Hopefully Adidas (since they have less brands) will do some cool stuff with RU. Will have to wait and see. Glad RU made the switch back to Coke this year, now we get to see a big apparel change too.

It's all about the dollars so as long as they pay, I am good with that. But their uniforms aren't good. Their designers are horrible.

Our last deal was signed under different circumstances. Our next one will be at or better than the one Cal signed with UA.

As a Cal alum, I agree with Caliknight. Cal is at best the third most popular football program in California, behind UCLA and USC. And Cal has been mediocre for some years now. Moreover, a number of alum identify with Cal as "University of California -Berkeley" or just "Berkeley" -- Cal is a name used only for athletics. What Cal did -- which you would hope we would be able to do -- would be to make a campus-wide offer that is more than just varsity athletics.

Not to be too hard on Adidas, I do like what they have done with some lacrosse uniforms that Bryant actually debuted last season. They were innovative and different. If this is true, hopefully we can get away from some of the generic uniform designs that I see Adidas sponsored schools all wear, especially in hoops. Same exact design, just different colors. It will be interesting to see how the contract compares to Miami who signed with them a couple of years ago.

It actually wouldn't surprise me if in fact it is Adidas. UA has been investing a TON in sponsorship deals, and Nike already dominates the landscape. Adidas has been losing market share in the college sponsorship game, so the timing was probably ripe to leverage our market with them.

All about the $$$.

That's an old article with old numbers. A number of them have been re-signed (Michigan) or moved to another apparel company (UCLA).
How is this from Forbes in July 2016? Says UCLA is with Adidas starting int 2018? Hey, look, we are at the bottom!
Should we send these numbers to Prof. Killingsworth for his "economic" opinion?
college-apparel-deals-img.jpg

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
Weird. The graphic I posted above was from this July 2016 Forbes article. Alternative facts. . . . .
http://www.forbes.com/sites/carlybe...le-college-sports-apparel-deals/#1adaa6ff6087

Yea, not sure how they could mess that up. There is always some lag, as an example, we will likely announce our new apparel deal shortly, even though we will still finish the contract wearing Nike. UCLA is definitely a UA school now.

Always thought they were the longest of shots, which I am happy with. Their stock took a dip, specifically because of the massive sponsorship deals they were agreeing to.

No way RU gets a $3MM per year deal. Illinois signed a long term deal for $1.6MM with Adidas. You think we get double that money???

To me, Under Armour and Nike are the two biggest in the industry right now. Adidas is a distant 3rd. I'm sure Hobbs & Co. weighed all of the options but hopefully we are not locked into a Addidas extremely long term.

Has nothing to do with the manufacturers themselves. It's all about the $.

We'd were Sergio Techini if they paid us. Actually, that would be pretty cool, lol

$$$ + BLOCK numbers + NEVER wearing red pants = I'm cool.

Too bad Ecko isn't in the sports wear world. Would be great for the money to go to an RU alumna and maybe squeeze out a donation from him too.

No way RU gets a $3MM per year deal. Illinois signed a long term deal for $1.6MM with Adidas. You think we get double that money???

University of Illinois is a Nike school. They signed with Nike starting in July 2016. 10 year deal worth $44.5M. Payout is all retail product, no cash component. The deal extended a 2 decades relationship the school has with Nike.

I can double confirm the Adidas deal. And I've got a tip that it's a good one. And my source on the track team has said she's already been told they'll be getting more apparel than the nike deal.

I can double confirm the Adidas deal. And I've got a tip that it's a good one. And my source on the track team has said she's already been told they'll be getting more apparel than the nike deal.

I am warming up to it. Their entry into the lax game has been pretty good. Kids in all sports love gear. The more the better.

Looking forward to seeing the numbers. I know AD Hobbs was eager to take advantage of this opportunity.

Reactions: JoeRU0304
The bright-side of being at the bottom of the list - no where to go but up.
Hopefully way up $$$.

Current FB uniform is lame but at least Nike finally got the color right. Glad it won't be Nike "designing" the next football uniform because I could do better drawing one out on a napkin in 5 minutes. Hope Addidas just mirrors that sharp OSu uni for Rutgers. The number font also needs a block format to match the block R. this stuff is not that complicated.

Reactions: koleszar
I actually think the deal will be $2.5M to $3.5M. the majority of the deals were signed the past two years while RU signed 4-5 years ago before we joined the B1G. I also believe that in 2-3 years $3M will be around the bottom of that list again.

I actually think the deal will be $2.5M to $3.5M. the majority of the deals were signed the past two years while RU signed 4-5 years ago before we joined the B1G. I also believe that in 2-3 years $3M will be around the bottom of that list again.

Actually Illinois's deal with Nike last year was $44.5M for 10 years (avg. $4.5M per year), no cash component. I would think this is somewhat of a measuring stick as I can't see why Rutgers would be unable to strike a similar deal with a competing supplier compared to Illinois.

Reactions: needmorecowbell

Lol.....and you could keep hoping.

Theres a reason why Adidas is cheaper and has less brands. They make the hands down the worst gear in all of college sports. You don't even have to believe me just google it for yourself.

As polarizing as our uniforms may have gotten at times, I always just kept saying "atleast its not Adidas". So needless to say, I really hope your intel ends up being wrong

Big Mistake if you go with addidas especially on the recruiting front. Look at the big dogs in college football. All Nike or UA. In all honesty Nike is right in fair negotiations. Rutgers isn't showcasing there latest designs on national tv every week. You WIN and the money comes. What leverage does your athletic department have going into negotiations? IMO kids dont want to wear no got damn addidas!!!! I hope this isn't Rutgers being well Rutgers as in expecting to be at the big boy table when you haven't proven a damn thing.

Big Mistake if you go with addidas especially on the recruiting front. Look at the big dogs in college football. All Nike or UA. In all honesty Nike is right in fair negotiations. Rutgers isn't showcasing there latest designs on national tv every week. You WIN and the money comes. What leverage does your athletic department have going into negotiations? IMO kids dont want to wear no got damn addidas!!!! I hope this isn't Rutgers being well Rutgers as in expecting to be at the big boy table when you haven't proven a damn thing.
I love the fashion experts on here. Seriously, who the hell cares what the name is as long as they show us the $$$!

Big boy table? We are in the center of civilization....and you're the butt of hick humor in the outback....Bama bores us with their nothing to do but root for a bunch of kids to make you feel worthy of existing...lol...

Reactions: ruready07
I love the fashion experts on here. Seriously, who the hell cares what the name is as long as they show us the $$$!

A jackass Alabama fan (or a pretender - some fan of another school who is so insecure of Rutgers being in the B1G and there are many) who has a need to feel superior and come on a Rutgers board and give a slap. One day would love to see the Mods rid themselves of this pollution on the board.

Hey does the truth hurt. I'm not here to troll. I only came here because I couldn't understand why Shyiem Simmons turned down Bama for Rutgers. Alot of other fans from all over the country read your boards and can't believe what they read as if Rutgers best bowl game was a loss to Virginia Tech. We win championships so thats why we get 100 million dollar nike contracts. Thats why we pay our recruiting designer what your OC is getting. All you gotta do is win. You got an awesome head coach and I can vouche for that. He shut down Bama. I love Ash and alot of Bama fans got respect for that dude. Im no fashion expert at all. I just think "Rutgers" should understand its place in this landscape. The only way to change it is WIN Roll f'ing Tide

Current FB uniform is lame but at least Nike finally got the color right. Glad it won't be Nike "designing" the next football uniform because I could do better drawing one out on a napkin in 5 minutes. Hope Addidas just mirrors that sharp OSu uni for Rutgers. The number font also needs a block format to match the block R. this stuff is not that complicated.

Get used to the new number style introduced this past year. Across the board on uniforms for all athletic teams

It is true we do have many visitors. I don't mind it at all.

It's also true we just have to win. Not WIN or WIN.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT