ADVERTISEMENT

NIL numbers

So playing college sports is officially a unionized job. All athletes will unionize. Great. We can finally just end college sports. They have been a sham for decades. Think of all the free time you will have without college sports. I really don't care at this point.
Were you watching college sports for the pure fact that some illogical rules made it so that they couldn’t be paid? I think you’ll be on the board 5 years from now regardless.

Reactions: Plum Street
Donations and resources are going to NIL instead of to the athletic department
Actually football and basketball pay for all of the non revenue sports. You guys are underestimating the money schools in a major conference bring in. Rutgers getting full big ten share soon I believe? Watch all the cool 💩 that starts popping up lol

Actually football and basketball pay for all of the non revenue sports. You guys are underestimating the money schools in a major conference bring in. Rutgers getting full big ten share soon I believe? Watch all the cool 💩 that starts popping up lol

Neat visualization on the transfer portal’s impact, and might offer some explanation as to Rutgers’ ability to crack the top end of high school recruiting.

You think calling paying athletes and claiming they are students silly?
The school isn't paying them, scholarships are there yes, to keep up the idea of a student athlete. But you know these schools aren't doing it for fun right? They aren't paying coaches millions of dollars for fun. It's because of people like us, college sports generate massive amounts of money, for the schools, businesses around the school, for television networks, various companies and brands. This site we're on for example, dedicated to college sports even has paid subscriptions. So I guarantee you that college players are not making a proportionally fair amount of the total sum generated from college sports. You are making it seem like colleges are giving them scholarships out of the goodness of their hearts. Lol

In hindsight, I’m also wondering if we shouldn’t have played Jeremiah after all, probably cost ourselves like $150K for a chance at an NIT berth lol

From the looks of these numbers, might as well cancel college sports all together doesn't look like anyone's making a significant amount of money. Even with full revenue share from their conference, not worth the hassle. Shut it down let all the good players go to NBA development leagues, and just enjoy the games with guys like chol and woolfolk. Cancel college football all together, too expensive, unless the NFL wants to pay up for its developmental league. If we are going to complain let's go all the way. Lol

You think calling paying athletes and claiming they are students silly?

No - I think you demanding their NIL be made public is silly.

I thought you would have picked that up by what I posted - so I’ll repeat it again. Their tuition costs (which comes directly from the school) is public.

Lol that's coming. Dartmouth players literally unionized this afternoon.
It's probably a good thing because then the schools have someone to negotiate with. As of now the Supreme Court said that the schools can't interfere (aka make rules) regarding the players trying to earn income. But a union can if they decide to form one. And schools can negotiate with unions.

Ever see many "athletes" academically seperated anymore or even hear much of of academic issues

The amount of assistance these guys get now is incredible. You have to really try to fail out of school to do so at this point. No one is academically ineligible anymore.

Reactions: bac2therac
From the looks of these numbers, might as well cancel college sports all together doesn't look like anyone's making a significant amount of money. Even with full revenue share from their conference, not worth the hassle. Shut it down let all the good players go to NBA development leagues, and just enjoy the games with guys like chol and woolfolk. Cancel college football all together, too expensive, unless the NFL wants to pay up for its developmental league. If we are going to complain let's go all the way. Lol
The reality is college sports (especially non revenue) was going the wrong way before NIL.

Destruction timeline
1. college sports gets big and schools pay to attract coaches
2. Title 9
3 practice facility competition
4 TV contacts
5 conference wars
6 NIL

NIL may be a nail on the coffin

Still waiting for anyone to answer "Why is it the responsibility of CFB and MBB to cover the expenses of every other sport in the AD?"

What exactly is wrong with more money going towards CFB and MBB - they earn the money.
If my department raised 95% if the companies revenue and leadership said "I know you need more cash to stay competitive but....we need to spend it to prop up this other department that literally has zero revenue."

.....and NIL will bury a lot of non revenue sports. Sports that were comfortably able to exist before $ came in to college sports
Maybe maybe not. But that assumes the model then is better than the model now.

Why should the players of the revenue sports be subsidizing the Olympic sport athletes?

Last edited:
There is only so much money to go around every year
That's what we've come to be familiar with; that's all. There are people donating to Olympic Sports who have NEVER donated to RU Athletics in general and/or football/basketball.

How is possible that a big school like UCLA with a ton of history of winning doesn't have any NIL?

That seems strange to me. I would assume there are plenty of rich successful alumni to tap into
It’s high time Jabbar and Walton pony up!!

Reactions: Scangg
Aren't scholarships endowed? My understanding is public money can't be used in that capacity.

Shhhhh!
Your not supposed to point out that "fans have been paying for players" for decades by funding scholarships through "mandatory donations" to The R Fund.

If scholarships are a form of payment - then fans have been funding players forever.

If scholarships are not a form of payment - then they have no correlation to NIL and shouldn't be "taken away now".

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
are they getting their education being payed for under some charade at a university
come on bac...you know the 2 things are not the same...which is why I said when the schools start covering the NIL, then I could see your point.

a kid who is getting an academic scholarship is not required to publish how much they're getting in a local marketing deal/job...even if it's tied to working at the school.

How long will it be before collectives figure out how to structure deals to keep players at a school for 4 years. Some type of loan that is forgiveable after 4 years.

• Angry
Covid allows for an extra year. Ivy League isn't respecting this allowance. A number of kids gamed the system and took time off during Covid to assure more eligibility.

It definitely gets complicated in those cases. That player at Yale, Brandau, is like 24 or 25 because of it.

For ease of understanding, a number of the Ivy kids graduated from their schools and can't play their fifth year at the school they were at so they have to transfer if they want to play another year. Almost all who can, do. They can get a one year Masters.

We've had guys from Harvard, Yale and UPenn because of it. Would love to get CJ Kirst who has a brother coming to RU next fall but my understanding is he's staying at Cornell. He was one of those guys that disenrolled from school to preserve eligibility.
Is that really gaming the system? Didn't RU have like 5 25 year olds a few years ago, or did I make that up?

Is that really gaming the system? Didn't RU have like 5 25 year olds a few years ago, or did I make that up?
We aren't part of the Ivy League so no, we didn't game any system.

We never had five 25 year olds. We had one who went through 2 complete knee rebuilds. Not exactly gaming the system.

Reactions: biazza38
We aren't part of the Ivy League so no, we didn't game any system.

We never had five 25 year olds. We had one who went through 2 complete knee rebuilds. Not exactly gaming the system.
Ah, Ivy league. Swore it was more than one, not sure who/what I had in my head

We had some guys who were old for college, a few 24 year olds. But so did some other teams. We just got spoken about more by the Quint's of the world but the reality was we were not nearly alone. Jealousy and hate was a part of it.

The best thing you can do is not click Quint's stuff. He dies without clicks.

Reactions: biazza38
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT