ADVERTISEMENT

No. 13 Rutgers Wrestling Hosts No. 9 Minnesota Saturday

How about bringing donation level higher ...you bitch and whine after every loss ...ya want a top 5 program with your 15-20 level wallet ..calling for a man's job incessantly ..your the biggest whiner here ..it gets old ..
I donated $2000 last year which is about 2% of my income with 3 kids in college. What did you donate loser?

I doubt there’s any correlation. A guy with one leg won a national title once. Good wrestlers who develop will always beat good wrestlers that don’t develop and mediocre wrestlers who do develop.

The body size thing is something I don’t really subscribe to. Kyle Snyder was a tiny heavyweight who ran through everyone. Anthony White has one of the bigger frames on our team and is average at best. If you’re good you’re good. If you’re bad you’re bad.
True but some ppl on board seem to think lankier = advantage so I wanna see if there’s any merits to it.. let’s go over flo’s p4p top 20

Starracci- prolly medium build
O tool- medium - lankier side?
Brooks- seems stockier side at 197
Carr- lanky side
Vito- lanky side
Keckeisen- medium- stocky?
Fix- stocky side
Kerk- medium - lanky side?
Woods- medium?
Hidlay - medium?
Mekhi- stockier side, armored tank
Hendrickson- bigger full sized hwt
Lovett- lankier side?
Haines- medium- lankier side
Buchanan- medium?
Croockahm- medium - stocky side
Bastida- smaller stockier agile hwt
Franeck- medium- stockier

Not sure much correlation.. seems like a mix big at the top… like u said a hammer is going to hammer..

Reactions: Peteras9144
You guys incessantly calling for Goodys job are a joke...we are a 15-20 program with a 15-20 wallet ...it takes top 3 money to get the top 3-5 kids either out of high school or top portal guys ...real top 3 money which you cheapskates don't contribute yet you come here after every loss and bitch about Goody and the programs lack of results ...you get what you pay for ..what kid on our roster was a top 3 in the country kid ...no less the top kid out of high school which the Penn States and Iowas get to work with...which portal kid did we get who is a top 3 pick ..none ...we don't have that rep as a wrestling powerhouse like the top schools do so shut the hell up or pony up ...it's that simple . We were nothing before Goody. ....yea keep crying like little girls about his ceiling ...how about raising your donation ceiling to give him more to work with ...I guarantee you guys won't do that ..you rather bitch and cry here .
We were out recruited by those programs before there was an ability to purchase players. The hierarchy hasn't changed post NIL..at least not yet. But the top dogs are shelling cash out in an all out bidding war for the best recruits and transfers..

Reactions: TRU2RU
I donated $2000 last year which is about 2% of my income with 3 kids in college. What did you donate loser?
I'm not the one crying and hitching here after every loss and calling for a guys job because you don't like what your amazing 2000 is getting you

We were out recruited by those programs before there was an ability to purchase players. The hierarchy hasn't changed post NIL..at least not yet. But the top dogs are shelling cash out in an all out bidding war for the best recruits and transfers..
That's exactly my point ..we are not a top dog and unless some huge donors align with us we never will be ...that's a fact .

Hahn has done a lot at SDSU. That team is tough.

Not saying we should can Goody or not give Donny a shot, but if Hanh was hired I think you'd see:
- renewed excitement
-more tough kids from the midwest
-improved upper weights
-improved mental toughness

That said I like the what we've done and the moves we're making. I think the Mytch addition has been huge and it's still very early to see the effect.

We do need to get grittier, more intense and win the toss-ups though. There's a lot of improvements that still need to be made. Also a lot of question marks regarding the team.

Parking price is def a deterrent. Saw a post on FB asking about carpooling to the event. There's no Suriano or Ashnault and I'm pretty sure that's why the building was packed when it was. Covid def killed the vibe for sure.

If people are complaining now, then get ready for OSU. That team has a bunch of young killers on there. Though, if RU wrestles their best then they can compete.

Hahn has done a lot at SDSU. That team is tough.

Not saying we should can Goody or not give Donny a shot, but if Hanh was hired I think you'd see:
- renewed excitement
-more tough kids from the midwest
-improved upper weights
-improved mental toughness

That said I like the what we've done and the moves we're making. I think the Mytch addition has been huge and it's still very early to see the effect.

We do need to get grittier, more intense and win the toss-ups though. There's a lot of improvements that still need to be made. Also a lot of question marks regarding the team.

Parking price is def a deterrent. Saw a post on FB asking about carpooling to the event. There's no Suriano or Ashnault and I'm pretty sure that's why the building was packed when it was. Covid def killed the vibe for sure.

If people are complaining now, then get ready for OSU. That team has a bunch of young killers on there. Though, if RU wrestles their best then they can compete.
OSU will hammer us. Minnesota was our shot.

OSU will hammer us. Minnesota was our shot.
Agreed, we missed our shot against OSU that year…. Still some very good individual matchups against OSU.. if we can win/put in good effort a few of those can leave feeling good even though lost dual.

We talk about a lot of negatives vs Minn but some positive takeaways for me:

- Peterson nice bounce back win against a hot McKee .. showed more offense love to see it.
- Cetta keeps improving, very tough ride and mat returns, he gives his all and that’s all we can ask for.
- good to see Moore back on track with a key win to start dual for us. He looked strong again w/ the head lock n holding positions.
- Really liking what I’m seeing out of Turley.. this is really the best he’s looked.. got a real test Sunday.
- Yara is rock solid. Woulda put him as a fav of Feldman but after Feldmans win over Davison.. this match has gotten real interesting…

Attendance is going to decline everywhere except probably Penn St until the sport makes duals important
All the coaches saying duals are important should've their contracts changed then. Because all he incentives and bonuses pertain to March

You guys incessantly calling for Goodys job are a joke...we are a 15-20 program with a 15-20 wallet ...it takes top 3 money to get the top 3-5 kids either out of high school or top portal guys ...real top 3 money which you cheapskates don't contribute yet you come here after every loss and bitch about Goody and the programs lack of results ...you get what you pay for ..what kid on our roster was a top 3 in the country kid ...no less the top kid out of high school which the Penn States and Iowas get to work with...which portal kid did we get who is a top 3 pick ..none ...we don't have that rep as a wrestling powerhouse like the top schools do so shut the hell up or pony up ...it's that simple . We were nothing before Goody. ....yea keep crying like little girls about his ceiling ...how about raising your donation ceiling to give him more to work with ...I guarantee you guys won't do that ..you rather bitch and cry here .
Most have no clue what it takes . They just want to bitch when they feel the need. Most have no idea what happens behind the scenes and the amount of $ it takes to compete against the best. I have been around awhile and in many rooms and watched what goes on. I have also been in Rutgers room many times and I can tell you they work just as hard and go over the same positions as others. More resources means better recruits which means more winning. Maybe the answer is $1 a word donated from the boards. Most bitch but don't contribute

Perhaps RU should stop being cheap and give 1 million to the program from their 1+ billion dollar endowment. It shouldn't take donations from hard working fans to take the program to the next level. I donate a bit, but I'd rather donate to my local highschool who's struggling to enter tournaments. Just a thought.

1.98 billion endowment. They've got the funds.

Perhaps RU should stop being cheap and give 1 million to the program from their 1+ billion dollar endowment. It shouldn't take donations from hard working fans to take the program to the next level. I donate a bit, but I'd rather donate to my local highschool who's struggling to enter tournaments. Just a thought.

Totally understand. RTCs have been the reason USAW is one of the best in the world now. That all happened from donations. Wrestling doesn't make $

I am at practice one of two times a week and Donny does as much coaching as Goody, Mytach and Pollard. Those kids are well prepared. You talk about preparing and developing kids and we seem to forget how we took average or below average kids like Theobold and Perrotti and made them AAs. I could go on and on. Frankly I read all of these posts after a debilitating loss to Minny and I laugh and then get sick to my stomach. We lost that dual cause we pushed the pace in every match, got worn dow and Minny capitalized. Cetta got screwed and did not get a chance for a win. He was 5th in the State and now is a solid Big Ten wrestler. Is that not development? Look at Illinois, Wisconsin and Northwestern. They are terrible this year. Fire the coaches? Michigan bought 5 of their starting 10. College athletics is in for a rocky few years so get used to it. I have been following RU wrestling for over 70 years and the loss to Minny was one of my low points. But I have to duck it up, get back to practice to let the kids know I still believe in them to get better and hope for brighter days!

Positives

Yara/Peterson/Moore and Cetta
Turley keeps winning
I believe Shawver lost because he was trying for the big move all match.

I still believe we will have 3 AA out of the 6 probable wrestlers in the blood round.
Moore or Yara getting ALL American sets RU up for A graduate transfers who want to AA.

Tough Loss, but all these matches you learn from.

All things considered they’re two SV matches away from winning the dual
Knock it off with the pom poms (appropriate they were handing them out for the match). Neither match should have gone to SV and both were favored to win. Both were terrible losses and shows that Rutgers is terrible on their feet.

Reactions: Cradle99
Poz and Shawver are actually pretty good 0n their feet.
They lead the team in takedowns for the year

Knock it off with the pom poms (appropriate they were handing them out for the match). Neither match should have gone to SV and both were favored to win. Both were terrible losses and shows that Rutgers is terrible on their feet.

I think it’s funny that realistically this was our first real chance to beat Minnesota. Is that not progress?

Reactions: Peteras9144
Positives

Yara/Peterson/Moore and Cetta
Turley keeps winning
I believe Shawver lost because he was trying for the big move all match.

I still believe we will have 3 AA out of the 6 probable wrestlers in the blood round.
Moore or Yara getting ALL American sets RU up for A graduate transfers who want to AA.

Tough Loss, but all these matches you learn from.
Shawver should have just worked on getting a takedown over big move.. he was never going to tech the kid.. I’ll take Shawver/Poz in their rematch but they had an off night against underrated opponents. Why did the match even start 141 tho?

Reactions: Bobbynieds
Shawver should have just worked on getting a takedown over big move.. he was never going to tech the kid.. I’ll take Shawver/Poz in their rematch but they had an off night against underrated opponents. Why did the match even start 141 tho?
In the post-match Goodie said that Minnesota thought that Moore had trouble cutting weight and hence asked to start at 141. Moore proved otherwise. He looked much better than he did last weekend.

because Rutgers is bad on its feet!!!!
Maybe, but I had mentioned before the match in one of my predictions (that was wrong) that my perception is that Rutgers loses many more SV than it wins, and I didn't want to see matches go down to SV. I think the data can back up my perception. As those matches were in progress, I then posted that I feared SV. And then when they went into SV, I said, ut oh, or oh, no. So, why? I decided to make those posts before the results as opposed to afterward. It's more meaningful when there's a risk of being wrong.

SV makes taking the first shot very important. They need to go for it with urgency everything they got left. When we have a tradition of being reluctant to shoot (it has been a common frustration), SV becomes a disadvantage. If I remember correctly, Shawver was back peddling - the opposite of what has to be done to win. The wrestlers have to understand that a different and urgent approach is mandatory in SV. Look back at all the SV losses and you will likely see that most times, the first guy to shoot won.

So, why are we at a disadvantage? Why are the opponents at an advantage? Why was our guy scored on with one second remaining in two matches, and I think another with four seconds?

There are common themes year after year. I can only guess that it's systemic.

I do have to give Peterson credit for coming back from some bad matches. The difference was his willingness to trust his offense. Shawver and Poz have been great this year, so I'm not at all down on them. Soldano is a mystery. I see many people saying he isn't strong enough, but last year we were impressed with his strength.

You better make sure you have a significant upgrade locked up before you let Goodale go. I mean you better have that guy locked into a contractual agreement and are willing to meet all of his demands for full University support of the program. Then you release Scott into an administrative roll If he wants it, he’s earned that much. It is very easy to have a trusted representative meet secretly with the agent of the new coach and get this all done and when it is, you make the change. If you get rid of Scott prior to having a significant upgrade in place, you are rolling the dice on the future of the program.

if you want to make the move from Scott, then everybody goes. Clean house.

I am not saying to do it. But you better make sure you do it right. You fumble this you can set the program back years.

I am all in on Damion Hahn. He is going to be a top coach at some point. I did a lot of clinics with him when he was still competing at Minnesota and then while he was an assistant at Cornell. He is legit. He has learned from two all time great head coaches and also a plethora of assistant coaches. He would recruit well and has the respect of the NJ wrestling community. I don’t know if he would leave SD State for Rutgers because he may be content to develop his resume there and see if the Minnesota job opens.

you nailed it my man..........we are what our status says we are........we will never be in the top five, unless we are willing to spend like the blue bloods. we are not a blue blood. we are what we are........will indiana or purdue be a top five program?......we must accept who we are.,,,,,,,sad, but true

you nailed it my man..........we are what our status says we are........we will never be in the top five, unless we are willing to spend like the blue bloods. we are not a blue blood. we are what we are........will indiana or purdue be a top five program?......we must accept who we are.,,,,,,,sad, but true
I agree with most of what you said. But, you are sad about being a top 15 program, multiple AAs in many consecutive years, the programs first two national champions and a great wrestling atmosphere to watch our wrestlers, among others?

Reactions: RUMike and TRU2RU
I agree with most of what you said. But, you are sad about being a top 15 program, multiple AAs in many consecutive years, the programs first two national champions and a great wrestling atmosphere to watch our wrestlers, among others?
Agreed. There is nothing sad about being a Top 15~20 program for about a decade and being the premier program at RU. I want us to climb into the Top 10 or 5 just like everyone else, but it comes down to money for resident athletes and NIL if we want to make that jump.

That’s not possible. Almost all that money is earmarked for scholarship, academic scholarship. Legally. The endowment does provide about 50 million annually to the schools operating budget. Believe me, they ain’t hoarding it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT