ADVERTISEMENT

No. 16 Rutgers Wrestling Treks to No. 1 Penn State for Sunday Dual / Match Thread

Who wrote the article? Good article other than whoever said Aaron Brooks is ranked #2. He’s undefeated returning national champ and no one has him at #2

Reactions: njsportsphan
PSU 3 best wrestlers (arguably) are at our 3 best weights (141,184,197)
Hopefully we will see the big matchups

125 will be interesting as well as 149/157

PSU 3 best wrestlers (arguably) are at our 3 best weights (141,184,197)
Hopefully we will see the big matchups

125 will be interesting as well as 149/157
Yeah, hopefully Lee is healthy. Didn’t go last Sunday so might still be injured/sick.

Big match for Poz. I'm glad he'll get to go against Brooks. Any opportunity to get his hands on him will only make him stronger. Brooks is one of PSUs best, but he's not invincible. Pressure is on Brooks if anything. Hopefully Poz can get some takedowns and work more positions.

Rumor has it that whatever was ailing Lee last weekend is still bothering him. Reading between the lines makes it seem like sickness, rather than an injury.

Even without that one, there are still some good matchups today. Looking forward to it.

Is it realistic to think RU will ever be able to match up with PSU and Iowa in wrestling?
The question really is, will Rutgers ever win a National Championship in wrestling? Because that's what it will take to match up with either of these two.

Last edited:
Is it realistic to think RU will ever be able to match up with PSU and Iowa in wrestling?
Iowa had Gable and built a dynasty. Cael turned PSU into a dynasty. So, in my opinion, if a school can hire a home run coach, anything is possible. The problem is coaches like Gable Sanderson don’t come around too often.

Reactions: njsportsphan
Iowa had Gable and built a dynasty. Cael turned PSU into a dynasty. So, in my opinion, if a school can hire a home run coach, anything is possible. The problem is coaches like Gable Sanderson don’t come around too often.
With $6 million bucks I could shoot a lot of holes into this theory.

With $6 million bucks I could shoot a lot of holes into this theory.
You don’t think a big name coach attracts big-name recruits? PSU has always had a good foundation and PA produces great wrestlers. But it wasn’t until Sanderson came that things took off. I think NJ and PA are similar in that they have great HS wrestling. I wasn’t trying to be condescending, I just think a big time coach is important to attract big time recruits. I think with the right coach, RU could kill it on the recruiting trail and compete.

BB Game just wasted 10 minutes with a review of a foul.......i guess i need to find the ESPN App

We are moving in the right direction. We went from not being nationally ranked to being ranked in the top 20. Then we moved to the top 15 in the country. Next step is consistently being in the top 10. Eventually we will be a Podium Trophy Team

Thanks for the insight.

Nick Lee out due to COVID protocols. Not a surprise but glad he’s not injured.

You don’t think a big name coach attracts big-name recruits? PSU has always had a good foundation and PA produces great wrestlers. But it wasn’t until Sanderson came that things took off. I think NJ and PA are similar in that they have great HS wrestling. I wasn’t trying to be condescending, I just think a big time coach is important to attract big time recruits. I think with the right coach, RU could kill it on the recruiting trail and compete.
Yeah OK but once you were able to buy anyone and everyone worth note for your wrestling club is when everything took off. What was that gift again $6 mil.? Money is more important otherwise the SKWC wouldn't be asking for it from me every month.

Last edited:
Reactions: rubigtimenow
Agree.

Reactions: PSUer1989
Watching on TV and thought I heard the buzzer before two was awarded.

Edit: guess not

I always thought that Burroughs would be a HUGE grab as a coach.

First and foremost I can't stand listening to these Penn State fans squabbling over every second of a match. Shawver looked really tough. He's going to be something next couple years. Same with olivieri. The kid was just a little outclassed today by the returning National Champion, but with experience he's going to be a multiple-time All-American.

6-0 PSU after two bouts.
Joey O did a great job holding it regular decision.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT