ADVERTISEMENT

No. 22 Rutgers Wrestling Set for 2023 Big Ten Championships

Sparks just way too much for Kannaird right now. 1-4 with over 1 min. Rt

If White wins his next matchup vs. Jake Harrier (Ill) he will finish 9th and earn an AQ. Harrier is 4 - 15 vs D1 competition this year and has adanced twice in this tournament by forfeits, so hopefully White can get it done.

Recap, correct me if I’m wrong

Peterson qualfieid
Heilman qualified
Olivieri needs to win his 9th place match
White needs to win his 9th place match
Clark needs to win his 11th place match for a chance at an at large
Kannaird out
Turley needs to win his 7th place match
Soldano qualified
Janzer needs to win his 9th place semi final and final
Boone qualified

Recap, correct me if I’m wrong

Peterson qualfieid
Heilman qualified
Olivieri needs to win his 9th place match
White needs to win his 9th place match
Clark needs to win his 11th place match for a chance at an at large
Kannaird out
Turley needs to win his 7th place match
Soldano qualified
Janzer needs to win his 9th place semi final and final
Boone qualified
Clark qualified. B1G has 10 allocations at 157 and he's in the 9th place finals match so can't finish worse than 10th

Even if Olivieri doesn't win the 9th place match and get the auto-bid, his resume may be good enough to get an at large from 10th. Though better for him to beat Miller

Reactions: UnderHooks
Funny enough, for all the complaining that was going on yesterday, 8 of the 10 wrestlers wrestled to their seed (or have one match to do so)

The only ones who didn’t wrestle to seed are Olivieri and Boone who both qualified for nationals

8Peterson will take 7/8
7Heilman will wrestle for 7
7Olivieri will wrestle for 9 but qualified
10White will take 9/10
13Clark will take 9/10
12Kanniard takes 11/12
10Turley will take 7/8
8Soldano will finish 6th at worst
11Janzer takes 11/12
6Boone will wrestle for 7 but qualified

nice wins by White and Clark! Since there are 10 allocations at 157, I believe Clark punched his ticket to Tulsa as well.

edit: confirmed

Happy for Clark he'll get some experience at NCAA's this year. Seems like one of those kids that just keeps getting better with more time. More in the Delvecchio/Theobald mold where each year they got a little better and then by senior year put it all together and AA'd.

Funny enough, for all the complaining that was going on yesterday, 8 of the 10 wrestlers wrestled to their seed (or have one match to do so)

The only ones who didn’t wrestle to seed are Olivieri and Boone who both qualified for nationals

8Peterson will take 7/8
10White will take 9/10
13Clark will take 9/10
12Kanniard takes 11/12
10Turley will take 7/8
11Janzer takes 11/12
Oliveri not qualified yet, as there are only 9 allocations at 141 and he's wrestling for 9th

8Peterson will take 7/8
10White will take 9/10
13Clark will take 9/10
12Kanniard takes 11/12
10Turley will take 7/8
11Janzer takes 11/12
Great post. What looked like a pretty gnarly start for the team turned into an ok tournament. They rebounded well.

Still would like to see way more guys moving forward early on but they did a good job of keeping themselves in the tourney. Looks like we have a shot at 8 guys going to NCAA, wouldn't have thought that earlier...

8Peterson will take 7/8
10White will take 9/10
13Clark will take 9/10
12Kanniard takes 11/12
10Turley will take 7/8
11Janzer takes 11/12
That is funny. Too bad they weren’t all seeded #12 and you could boast about them exceeding expectations.

8Peterson will take 7/8
10White will take 9/10
13Clark will take 9/10
12Kanniard takes 11/12
10Turley will take 7/8
11Janzer takes 11/12
I know you're just trying to find a ray of sunshine in a gloomy day. So yeah, we did great for lowered expectations. Tough to get excited when the highest we can finish is 11th place. Can't really lower expectations anymore or we'll be hoot and hollering cheering we're not in last place.

Last edited:
Reactions: bluemountain1967
That is funny. Too bad they weren’t all seeded #12 and you could boast about them exceeding expectations.
Relax. I’m not thrilled with how this season has gone but yesterday was probably the loudest the naysayers have been all year despite, by the numbers, being better than projections.

So yeah, we did great for lowered expectations. Tough to get excited when the highest we can finish is 11th place. Can't really lower expectations anymore or we'll be hoot and hollering cheering we're not in last place.
Big picture I agree. This season has been a disappointment. But knowing what you knew going into yesterday, if you were expecting a ton more than what we actually got, I don’t know what to tell you. Hopefully the recruiting improves and these younger guys take a big step and make this a more respectable team.

I think we got the right guys for 125, 133, 141, 184, and 285. Depending on whether or not Soldano can go down or Poz can go up, we might get a 6th quality weight class. And that doesn’t include White or Clark who next year could both be returning NQs.

165 will be a disaster and I have no clue who fills in at 197 if Janzer moves on. Goodale has been great navigating the transfer portal though.

Salazar caught the back of Soldano's head with his face on that sprawl.

Soldano was in position to score like three times. Gotta work that go behind and stay on the legs! So damn close. Let's beat pinto and take 5th.

Reactions: MS-RU
Have no idea why they stopped this with Peterson working his way out from bottom. Medley was in trouble there.

This ref is terrible. They stop it when dean has a leg and can scramble to look at locked hands instead of letting him wrestle it out.
Then they let the top guy sit here and do nothing.

Reactions: koleszar
Turley is going to need some funk to beat a guy like Washington, who is quick and long.

Btw, not a fan of this overhead camera view. Sure it's better than nothing, but this is the B1G championships, not some HS match. Get th cameras on the floor.

Reactions: njsportsphan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT