ADVERTISEMENT

No. 22 Rutgers Wrestling Set for 2023 Big Ten Championships

Disappointing tournament for Oliveri loses 3-2 and vastly underperforms. Might be in a good spot for an at large

Last edited:
Not a great match for Olivieri losing to the 14 seed and someone he beat earlier this year. Didn’t have much offense this tournament and it really hurt him. He will need to earn an at large bid

Not a great match for Olivieri losing to the 14 seed and someone he beat earlier this year. Didn’t have much offense this tournament and it really hurt him. He will need to earn an at large bid
Olivieri has never been an offensively gifted wrestler unfortunately. He’s got a great cradle that he can hit from neutral but even in high school he won mostly low scoring matches against quality competition. Has to improve if he wants to damage in these tournaments.

Reactions: Leonard23 and MS-RU
We should get 8 qualifiers with Olivieri earning an at large but no idea what’s happened at other tournaments with bid stealing, etc.

Turley is going to need some funk to beat a guy like Washington, who is quick and long.
Back to the Turley match. It actually looked like Turley out winded Washington. Turley got stronger later in the match as Washington faded. I also noticed he didn't fade against Ruth in the later stage of the match. He might be getting his wind.

Tough day but Peterson and Heilman place, 7/8th. Clark battled and wrestled Lewan tough as heck. Turley - that was the best match i have seen him wrestle since he AA-ed.(hope he sneaks into NCAA bc he is rounding into form). BS could possibly place 3/4 and Boone was in position to win that match Awful start but made some hay in the conseys
True. My mistake
He deserves to get a bid. Our most consistent wrestler.

At 149, it has DFF as the result for 7/8. It has m for as medical forfeit in other matches. What is dff? Disqualification?

Turley with the post season magic and in pretty damn good control of a guy who beat him up earlier this year. Congrats my man !
Doing his best wrestling of the year at the right time. He will be dangerous at Nationals. Bracket buster type guy. Seems to have a fire lit under him now. I think we all knew he could do it barring injury setbacks and seems to be hitting stride

Penn state with 6 in the finals, followed by Nebraska with 5, Iowa with 3, Minnesota and OSU with 2, Michigan and Wisky with 1

Reactions: Peteras9144
11 out of 100= good
11 out of 14= not so good
Yes but I’d say overall this was a good b10 tournament.. we only ended 11/14 bc we didn’t have many top end scoring but to qualify 7 most likely 8 is a good result…

-Love that Peterson was able to avenge both his losses to Brown/Medley(reminds me of when Suriano went on his revenge tour)

-Clark omg, my most improved wrestler, beats former #1 p4p recruit Gallagher and Illinois’s Carr, who I believe was a former AA..

-Soldano pinning Assad was hugeee, bringing back some of that early season magic.. Soldano is a dangerous man

-Turley I knew some of that spark was back when he pushed Labriola.. took some good guys to OT, and avenged his earlier loss to Washington

-We also qualified all our borderline guys, White, Clark, Turley and I have a good feeling Olivieri will get an at large bid

So far we have scored 32 points. We could get a couple more points depending how Soldano does against Pinto. Here is the number of points each of our guys scored.

Peterson: 5, Heilmann 4.5, Olivieri 0, White 0, Clark 0.5, Kanniard 0, Turley 7, Soldano 10,
Janzer 0.5, McDermott 4.5. Two surprises were Olivieri on the negative side and Turley on the positive side.

11th is better than last … 10/11 is probably about the right finish based on dual meets this year … 8 qualifiers is better than I thought, so hopefully someone sneaks in as an AA

Olivieri has never been an offensively gifted wrestler unfortunately. He’s got a great cradle that he can hit from neutral but even in high school he won mostly low scoring matches against quality competition. Has to improve if he wants to damage in these tournaments.

Always my biggest worry with him. Good defense and tough on top but lacks offense at times
He needs to be more aggressive on his feet, instead of always looking to counter. He has a good O when he gets to it but it's not often.

Reactions: koleszar
where can I find the finals mat stream. big 10 plus only has 3rd/5th mats and a multi camera that the finals wrestlers look like ants!! this is horrible what the hell?!?!?!?!

where can I find the finals mat stream. big 10 plus only has 3rd/5th mats and a multi camera that the finals wrestlers look like ants!! this is horrible what the hell?!?!?!?!
Regular TV BTN for finals. BTN plus you have to select mat 5th or mat 3rd, not 3rd and 5th multi camera.

Well, that was quick and ugly. Definitely puts the exclamation mark on how our B1G 2023 tournament went.

And Soldano gets pinned in about a minute. Loves the upper body throws which bites him in the ass on occasion.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
Nebraska coaches were yelling to stay off his legs. Good antidote to not getting rolled. Pinto has a similar style as Brian. Soldano almost had it too, but Pinto is probably just as comfortable in those positions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT