ADVERTISEMENT

No. RV/21 Rutgers Women's Soccer Travels to Penn State (Thur), Hosts Northwestern (Sun)

Incredible game and goal for LaPlant, the difference maker with an incredible individual effort and perfectly placed ball to Sayer, beautiful finish by Sayer! I will say this you CANNOT!! give up a 2-1 lead with under 5 minutes to go! Horribly defended corner on the quick restart. Meghan was fouled on that goal, it absolutely should have been called back!

WOOOOO !!!!!! The curse is broken!! After heartbreak after heartbreak every year against PSU I hate that stupid soccer stadium the ladies pull it off and beat PSU with 3 goals (most ever scored by RU at PSU) and had the Nits their first EVER overtime loss at home in program history in front of their rainy screaming crying fans on BTN !!! Yay congrats ladies way to fight !!!!
We were 3-3-1 against PSU in the last 7 games. You go Ladies!

Incredible game and goal for LaPlant, the difference maker with an incredible individual effort and perfectly placed ball to Sayer, beautiful finish by Sayer! I will say this you CANNOT!! give up a 2-1 lead with under 5 minutes to go! Horribly defended corner on the quick restart. Meghan was fouled on that goal, it absolutely should have been called back!
LaPlant yes!!! & McClelland was surely fouled. And yes we weren't ready for the corner.

WOOOOO !!!!!! The curse is broken!! After heartbreak after heartbreak every year against PSU I hate that stupid soccer stadium the ladies pull it off and beat PSU with 3 goals (most ever scored by RU at PSU) and had the Nits their first EVER overtime loss at home in program history in front of their rainy screaming crying fans on BTN !!! Yay congrats ladies way to fight !!!!
Hey, what just happened? I was typing a response to your post on the FB board but it wouldn't accept my reply???

Reactions: ScarletDave
Will wait for Killer Bee and RUDad for game review and add my 2 cents later am busy today and watched the game as much as I could on my phone while at a meeting last night so missed some of the game

Questionable call or not on the PK, I am pretty sure PSU owed us for the blatant handball - no call in the Big Ten tournament game last year or the year before. Take the win.

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
Do you ever get tired of being wrong?

[cheers]
Love being wrong in this case but if you happened to see the game we got very lucky which I will take as we literally had the ball only twice in Penn State territory in the last 40 minutes and that resulted in both goals and we also got a gift on the penalty kick in OT; you are not going to win may soccer games by playing this style as you cannot defend for almost 90% of the game; Not so wrong about the men's coach as look what a new coach has done they are going to be very good very soon

Reactions: Rutgers56
RV/21 Women's Soccer Takes Down Penn State, 3-2, on the Road in 2OT

"After the past two games, it was really important for our team to stick together and come up with a strong game plan," said senior defender Amanda Visco. "We had to stick to our details and come out with a tremendous amount of energy and that's exactly what we did during the game. Our mentality is that we may bend but we don't break and that showed tonight in a huge team win."

https://scarletknights.com/news/201...s-down-penn-state-3-2-on-the-road-in-2ot.aspx

For Bees & dentist, a couple of thoughts/questions. PSU had us under almost constant pressure. In response we simply banged the ball out of our D1/3 & it was simply brought back for more pressure over & over again. In your opinions was our failure to move the ball more effectively out of our end due to a lack of skill, game philosophy, or simply PSU's high pressure eliminating any passing lanes &/or open teammates, or was it a combination of these or some other factor?

On LaPlant's assist on Sayers goal. Each of us on separate occasions have commented on the ability to see the field & the play & lamented our players inability for the most part to do this. IMO Brittany's assist was a perfect example of this concept. She took the nice ball from Amirah, didn't play around with it, didn't try to bull past a defender, but saw the field, the play & Jenna & struck her a one touch excellent ball which provided for Jenna's really nice goal. If I were Mike I might consider replaying this video for the team as an example & lesson on how to play. It is also a lesson on unselfishness which Brittany displays on a consistent basis. BY the way, she never did get credit for an assist on her great touch ahead which provided for Nneka's goal in the Minnesota game.

Last edited:
For Bees & dentist, a couple of thoughts/questions. PSU had us under almost constant pressure. In response we simply banged the ball out of our D1/3 & it was simply brought back for more pressure over & over again. In your opinions was our failure to move the ball more effectively out of our end due to a lack of skill, game philosophy, or simply PSU's high pressure eliminating any passing lanes &/or open teammates, or was it a combination of these or some other factor?

On LaPlant's assist on Sayers goal. Each of us on separate occasions have commented on the ability to see the field & the play & lamented our players inability for the most part to do this. IMO Brittany's assist was a perfect example of this concept. She took the nice ball from Amirah, didn't play around with it, didn't try to bull past a defender, but saw the field, the play & Jenna & struck her a one touch excellent ball which provided for Jenna's really nice goal. If I were Mike I might consider replaying this video for the team as an example & lesson on how to play. It is also a lesson on unselfishness which Brittany displays on a consistent basis. BY the way, she never did get credit for an assist on her great touch ahead which provided for Nneka's goal in the Minnesota game.
Will comment on that later but did you see in the first half with about 10 minutes to go when Amirah had a semi breakaway and instead of staying where she was she insisted on dribbling into the middle and then trying to pass instead of just firing a shot especially for two reasons as I stated during the game it was puring at that point and all you want to do is get a shot on goal because the ball is very wet and you don't know what will happen and second by dribbling into the middle again we lost our spacing and had no chance; This is what I mean about our soccer IQ just doesn't seem to be there alot; one more thing real quick if you heard the announcers comment on how PSU girls would just turn real quick and fire the shots instead of trying to dribble through everyone they must have said that numerous times

Will comment on that later but did you see in the first half with about 10 minutes to go when Amirah had a semi breakaway and instead of staying where she was she insisted on dribbling into the middle and then trying to pass instead of just firing a shot especially for two reasons as I stated during the game it was puring at that point and all you want to do is get a shot on goal because the ball is very wet and you don't know what will happen and second by dribbling into the middle again we lost our spacing and had no chance; This is what I mean about our soccer IQ just doesn't seem to be there alot; one more thing real quick if you heard the announcers comment on how PSU girls would just turn real quick and fire the shots instead of trying to dribble through everyone they must have said that numerous times
Can't say I remember that specifically with Amirah, but know what you mean.

R clearly played a new formation at times at least on defense, looked like a 4-4-2 most of the time but there were times we had 10 defenders in a space the size of 1/4the field. Our forwards are still way too far back. It was very evident the game plan was to sit deep and defend. I won't state names but a couple girls had really poor games, and with players gone we had few options. We are lucky the score wasnt worse heading into half time! When we did attack we were dangerous, especially in transition, but even in defense mode Penn State had all kinds of time and space, it was odd we focused on defense but were able to move the ball so easily.... When we make the right passes and keep the ball moving good things happen. One glearing point about decision making that summarizes a lot of the above, If you go back and watch the replays of La Plants goal watch until the end, look how open she is and the decision that is made on the ball!!....there was no reason for any extra touches, happens all the time, that's all I have the energy to write now....

In answer to your first question it was game philosophy; We have 10 girls packed in and you kick the ball out there is no one to carry or get the ball and like we have discussed in other recaps when our girls make runs they have to come out and make almost a full field run and that is just exhausting if you have to do that time and again; I can somewhat understand the strategy in this game without 3 defenders but we just cannot continue to play this way and expect to win; We only had the ball in there end twice in the last 38 minutes and scored goals both times that is not going to happen too often; The first was just a spectacular effort by Leplant and if you watch the whole play it was after a poor cross Menome

R clearly played a new formation at times at least on defense, looked like a 4-4-2 most of the time but there were times we had 10 defenders in a space the size of 1/4the field. Our forwards are still way too far back. It was very evident the game plan was to sit deep and defend. I won't state names but a couple girls had really poor games, and with players gone we had few options. We are lucky the score wasnt worse heading into half time! When we did attack we were dangerous, especially in transition, but even in defense mode Penn State had all kinds of time and space, it was odd we focused on defense but were able to move the ball so easily.... When we make the right passes and keep the ball moving good things happen. One glearing point about decision making that summarizes a lot of the above, If you go back and watch the replays of La Plants goal watch until the end, look how open she is and the decision that is made on the ball!!....there was no reason for any extra touches, happens all the time, that's all I have the energy to write now....
agree with you 100% I would actually like to see Amirah in more of a midfield position than forward to allow to get the ball both in space and where she is moving forward and not receving the ball with her back to the defenders and with 3 girls on her and that is what happened on the Sayers goals she made the pass to LePlant who made a one touch pass to Sayers who finished so nicely

I love O'Neill and our team...but our lack of skill in the midfield is killing us. This has been an issue for at least 2 years.

Also, we dispossess ourselves more than we should. It's one thing to lose possession to pressure or to a crafty attempt. We turn the ball over consistently on extremely basic pass attempts.

I am not trying to damn the team or rip anyone...I genuinely dont understand why this occurs. Clearly the ladies are technically capable of making these passes...but I have noticed this for at least 2 years...maybe more.

Not sure what's up...but something is.

Reactions: MURF87
I love O'Neill and our team...but our lack of skill in the midfield is killing us. This has been an issue for at least 2 years.

Also, we dispossess ourselves more than we should. It's one thing to lose possession to pressure or to a crafty attempt. We turn the ball over consistently on extremely basic pass attempts.

I am not trying to damn the team or rip anyone...I genuinely dont understand why this occurs. Clearly the ladies are technically capable of making these passes...but I have noticed this for at least 2 years...maybe more.

Not sure what's up...but something is.
It’s a very good question but like you say they are technically capable but I think there are 3 things the first which I see too much is our positioning the girls don’t get into open space enough and as we have mentioned ad nauseum the girls hold onto the ball too long and often lose possession.

The third and I think most important is really 2 parts first is our set up on the field as Killer Bees mentioned above most of the time because of this set up it’s nearly impossible to go forward because of this set up and we often lose the ball because of this not because our girls are not technically capable and I can’t prove this aspect but to me psychologically when you constantly are playing defense and have that mindset instilled in you it’s harder to create offense

It’s a very good question but like you say they are technically capable but I think there are 3 things the first which I see too much is our positioning the girls don’t get into open space enough and as we have mentioned ad nauseum the girls hold onto the ball too long and often lose possession.

The third and I think most important is really 2 parts first is our set up on the field as Killer Bees mentioned above most of the time because of this set up it’s nearly impossible to go forward because of this set up and we often lose the ball because of this not because our girls are not technically capable and I can’t prove this aspect but to me psychologically when you constantly are playing defense and have that mindset instilled in you it’s harder to create offense

I say this respectfully I don't see the issue around girls getting into space. I see girls getting into space and not receiving the ball at their feet. I see the ball going to the other team on a very easy pass. It's the weirdest thing I've ever seen and it's been happening for two seasons at least. There will literally be a girl five yards away and the pass will go to the other team.

I'm not talking about passes where you're trying to ask questions of the opposing team or make a perfectly threaded ball. I'm talking about the simple pass. Watch the next game. It happens at least double-digit times. This is why I use the word dispossessed above. Think of it as unforced errors in tennis. If they kept that stat it would be really alarming in my opinion.

This is just strange for girls at this level to play that way.

Reactions: MURF87
I say this respectfully I don't see the issue around girls getting into space. I see girls getting into space and not receiving the ball at their feet. I see the ball going to the other team on a very easy pass. It's the weirdest thing I've ever seen and it's been happening for two seasons at least. There will literally be a girl five yards away and the pass will go to the other team.

I'm not talking about passes where you're trying to ask questions of the opposing team or make a perfectly threaded ball. I'm talking about the simple pass. Watch the next game. It happens at least double-digit times. This is why I use the word dispossessed above. Think of it as unforced errors in tennis. If they kept that stat it would be really alarming in my opinion.

This is just strange for girls at this level to play that way.
Scarlet, you are ABSOLUTELY correct regarding the passes. I have been saying this and shouting this at games for a couple of years now.

Reactions: SirScarlet
There's a simple solution, open the game up, look to create space which you cannot do with 5 yd passes, it creates presure on the player and as a result, poor passes and touches. Penn State spaced the field very well!!!! There was a lot of space between passes which created time on the ball!!! We have the most success when we spread the field and do not hold the ball too long, for example LaPlants assist to Sayer , some are doing this very well, where others very poorly holding too long, making bad decisions which as a result pulls in defenders and take options away, where typically you can create space through possession by pulling defenders in to create space, not lose it. Again, I think its a system fault.

There's a simple solution, open the game up, look to create space which you cannot do with 5 yd passes, it creates presure on the player and as a result, poor passes and touches. Penn State spaced the field very well!!!! There was a lot of space between passes which created time on the ball!!! We have the most success when we spread the field and do not hold the ball too long, for example LaPlants assist to Sayer , some are doing this very well, where others very poorly holding too long, making bad decisions which as a result pulls in defenders and take options away, where typically you can create space through possession by pulling defenders in to create space, not lose it. Again, I think its a system fault.
I hear what you're saying regarding a system fault which results in a defender too close to the potential recipient, however I have seen all too many simply poor & lazy passes of all distances by multiple players. Perhaps these are all attributed to a system fault, but i'm not so sure.

IMO one of the best games we have played in a while. We did not hold on to the ball. Passes were much better-sharper, quicker, more accurate. Amirah is making a huge difference by finding her mates with some excellent balls. LaPlant is feeling it. Almer is playing very well, as are Provenzano & Visco. Shea Holland & Allison Lynch had good games. Jenna Sayer seems more confident as she gets more playing time. Nicole Binkley was much better. Other girls played well also. If these ladies continue to play connected & play for each other watch out.

Last edited:
IMO one of the best games we have played in a while. We did not hold on to the ball. Passes were much better-sharper, quicker, more accurate. Amirah is making a huge difference by finding her mates with some excellent balls. LaPlant is feeling it. Almer is playing very well, as are Provenzano & Visco. Shea Holland & Allison Lynch had good games. Jenna Sayer seems more confident as she gets more playing time. Nicole Binkley was much better. Other girls played well also. If these ladies continue to play connected & play for each other watch out.
What happens when the girls that have been away come back??? The last 2 games were played quite well without them????

What happens when the girls that have been away come back??? The last 2 games were played quite well without them????
Wondering the same thing. My guess is Mike puts Wiltshire & Swaby right back in. If so, we'll see how it plays out. Wiltshire, though good, likes to hang onto the ball & play with it too often.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT