ADVERTISEMENT

Not rocket science

RU72

All American
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
51-40 rebounds. 19-8 on the offensive glass. Rutgers is just plain tougher than Indiana yesterday,today and tomorrow. Not sure how long Woodson will be there. A guy to look at is Dusty May. As to Rutgers,Williams needs to play far more minutes than Fernandes and right now,Palm more than Gavin. Better defense and more maturity on both ends. Hag, though is the key and will be so important next year. No, he isn't going into the portal. Steve did more for him physically than any coach has for any player.

Last edited:
51-40 rebounds. 19-8 on the offensive glass. Rutgers is just plain tougher than Indiana yesterday,today and tomorrow. Not sure how long Woodson will be there. A guy to look at is Dusty May. As to Rutgers,Williams needs to play far more minutes than Fernandes and right now,Palm more than Gavin. Better defense and more maturity on both ends. Hag, though is the key and will be so important next year. No, he isn't going into the portal. Steve did more for him than any coach has for any player.
Austin was the Windex guard all over the glass and plenty of putbacks and layups with a kiss. Onions!

Last edited:
51-40 rebounds. 19-8 on the offensive glass. Rutgers is just plain tougher than Indiana yesterday,today and tomorrow. Not sure how long Woodson will be there. A guy to look at is Dusty May. As to Rutgers,Williams needs to play far more minutes than Fernandes and right now,Palm more than Gavin. Better defense and more maturity on both ends. Hag, though is the key and will be so important next year. No, he isn't going into the portal. Steve did more for him than any coach has for any player.
Steve did a ton for Cam and Eugene O.

Both stabbed him in the back. I wouldn’t be so sure that someone won’t come in a try to poach Mag with major $$$$.

His skill set is absolutely ideal for a contending team

Big guard that can drive to the hoop and dish off to the big guys is what Austin brings to the table. That was Paul. We took way too many threes again and Cliff seems like he is just going through the motions. He gets boxed out on offensive rebounds. He has his moments, but he isn’t being motivated and put in the right position to help us.

Steve did a ton for Cam and Eugene O.

Both stabbed him in the back. I wouldn’t be so sure that someone won’t come in a try to poach Mag with major $$$$.

His skill set is absolutely ideal for a contending team
Cam and Eugene transfers were both made 1000x worse by their late timing.

I really want Mag to stay next year. He is exactly the type of guy you want to help lead an inexperienced but talented team.

Cliff did a good job rebounding and protecting the rim last night defensively.
Definitely contributed to a win!

I still don’t think we win many games in the B1G with no offense out of the center position.
It isnt an offense from the center problem. It is a PG problem. Cliff would have 15 last night with a PG. 3 easy lobs were so there. Teams know when our PG iare penetrating bigs can sell out and help because they arent oassing

After one of Dereks desparation flings late in the bame Cliff pointed a finger to the sky. He ran the court and was in a position for the lob and Derek never looked.

1. If Mag can get paid he owes it to himself to get paid. Pike makes $4,000,000. Monetarily Mag has done more for Steve than Steve for Mag
2. How about Dusty Baker? He is available

Reactions: tm_nj
Derek Simpson is not the answer as a soph. Williams is a man and maybe JMike and Derek learn by watching him. Gavin is just not ready. He is too nice… and my question is his competition in high school . I really like that he can shoot but would prefer that he was more aggressive in the offense.

It isnt an offense from the center problem. It is a PG problem. Cliff would have 15 last night with a PG. 3 easy lobs were so there. Teams know when our PG iare penetrating bigs can sell out and help because they arent oassing

After one of Dereks desparation flings late in the bame Cliff pointed a finger to the sky. He ran the court and was in a position for the lob and Derek never looked.
Going from Geo and Paul to this is almost certainly having an impact on him mentally. He's showing a lot of frustration out there.

Noah adds so little to the offense and defense he literally can’t play anymore.

Derek by personality is not a selfish young man not looking to pass, I’m sure he’s being coached to finish.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
Noah adds so little to the offense and defense he literally can’t play anymore.

Derek by personality is not a selfish young man not looking to pass, I’m sure he’s being coached to finish.
Derek may not be a selfish young man but he plays like one.

I am in the minority and am not giving up on Noah. The key is if he sticks with it and accepts his new role and realizes there will be games he could be counted on and help us win. My biggest concern is him checking out. He didn't come here to sit the bench, but at the same time Austin Williams has taken minutes and it has to come from the 3 PG.

My conviction is not high on this take......at the end of the day for W and L right now....Davis>Noah>Derek

Reactions: kcg88
Cliff did a good job rebounding and protecting the rim last night defensively.
Definitely contributed to a win!

I still don’t think we win many games in the B1G with no offense out of the center position.
Yeah I know we have talked ad nauseum about his offense but it just seems to be getting worse; throwing up or should I say down that line drive hook from 10 feet out is never ever going to work

Derek may not be a selfish young man but he plays like one.

I am in the minority and am not giving up on Noah. The key is if he sticks with it and accepts his new role and realizes there will be games he could be counted on and help us win. My biggest concern is him checking out. He didn't come here to sit the bench, but at the same time Austin Williams has taken minutes and it has to come from the 3 PG.

My conviction is not high on this take......at the end of the day for W and L right now....Davis>Noah>Derek
Noah’s game is 100% dependent on making shots, when he’s not he does nothing on the floor at either end worthy of keeping him out there.
Unlike the majority of Pike players who contribute to wins with defense, rebounding or an attempt to make players around him better…. he does none of it.

On another matter, why or how in the world would Gavin think it’s ok to launch contested 3s from the ridiculous distances he does?
I can’t imagine Pike allowing that to happen in practice without blowing the whistle and asking him what he’s thinking.

Reactions: satnom
Noah’s game is 100% dependent on making shots, when he’s not he does nothing on the floor at either end worthy of keeping him out there.
Unlike the majority of Pike players who contribute to wins with defense, rebounding or an attempt to make players around him better…. he does none of it.

On another matter, why or how in the world would Gavin think it’s ok to launch contested 3s from the ridiculous distances he does?
I can’t imagine Pike allowing that to happen in practice without blowing the whistle and asking him what he’s thinking.

Because I suspect Gavin is a great shooter in practice. He was also a scorer in HS. Scorers shoot …a lot. Look at Derek. Everyone is cool with him shooting high volume because every other game or so he gives you 20+. So Gavin’s natural inclination is to shoot the ball. Also, he sees his minutes are falling so he wants to come on and make an instance impact off the bench. It’s a 6th man mentality. Not every second team guy is meant to be a defensive-first player.

Pike is not doing a good job communicating to Gavin what his role is or Gavin isn’t buying in. Either way, they need to figure it out because despite what some think, he’s super talented.

Simpson is a like a black hole … once he attacks he has already made up his mind to shoot and doesn’t deviate based on the defense collapsing on him. The ball doesn’t come out. A good PG makes others better, Simpson doesn’t, he tries for the poster play, often getting it blocked, or being forced into a contorted shot attempt. It has to be frustrating for the guy trailing or the guy spotting up open. We miss Paul in these situations.

Big guard that can drive to the hoop and dish off to the big guys is what Austin brings to the table. That was Paul. We took way too many threes again and Cliff seems like he is just going through the motions. He gets boxed out on offensive rebounds. He has his moments, but he isn’t being motivated and put in the right position to help us.
Cliff played much better defensively in the second half. Ended up with 5 blocks last night, and he boxed out on rebounds. Didn't let Indiana get much on the offensive glass. When he plays like that we have a chance.

Because I suspect Gavin is a great shooter in practice. He was also a scorer in HS. Scorers shoot …a lot. Look at Derek. Everyone is cool with him shooting high volume because every other game or so he gives you 20+. So Gavin’s natural inclination is to shoot the ball. Also, he sees his minutes are falling so he wants to come on and make an instance impact off the bench. It’s a 6th man mentality. Not every second team guy is meant to be a defensive-first player.

Pike is not doing a good job communicating to Gavin what his role is or Gavin isn’t buying in. Either way, they need to figure it out because despite what some think, he’s super talented.
Gavin is struggling to adapt to the college level and trying to overcompensate when he gets his minutes. It's definitely a concern now, but I think with more experience and adapting to the pace that he will settle in. He's too good of a player to not adjust. Think about the difference from Cliff between year 1 and 2.

Reactions: ScarletDave
Cliff’s D is pretty great. His offense though is yes like hes going through the motions .. we toss it in to him and he either dribbles into a turnover, or gets lazy and tries a hook shot or fadeaway that he must be shooting 5% or less on all-time …

Williams is the only guard who can get a rebound and putback layup. Needs to play so much more, maybe more mins than anyone.

Mag is a baller.

Derek Simpson gets a lot of hate, but he’s a sophomore, he’s not Geo or Ron Harper or Caleb like you’re all used to, but he runs the offense best of any guards we have. His shooting is mental he will get out of it. We will need him to make key shots to win games for us down the stretch, like Stonehill

I agree he has the ability to become a scoring machine.. let’s hope it’s not somewhere else and it happens here.

Cliff’s D is pretty great. His offense though is yes like hes going through the motions .. we toss it in to him and he either dribbles into a turnover, or gets lazy and tries a hook shot or fadeaway that he must be shooting 5% or less on all-time …

Williams is the only guard who can get a rebound and putback layup. Needs to play so much more, maybe more mins than anyone.

Mag is a baller.

Derek Simpson gets a lot of hate, but he’s a sophomore, he’s not Geo or Ron Harper or Caleb like you’re all used to, but he runs the offense best of any guards we have. His shooting is mental he will get out of it. We will need him to make key shots to win games for us down the stretch, like Stonehill
Gotta add to your list of Simpson needs…. Looking for open players and assists…. not all about just making shots

Reactions: Scangg
Simpson is a like a black hole … once he attacks he has already made up his mind to shoot and doesn’t deviate based on the defense collapsing on him. The ball doesn’t come out. A good PG makes others better, Simpson doesn’t, he tries for the poster play, often getting it blocked, or being forced into a contorted shot attempt. It has to be frustrating for the guy trailing or the guy spotting up open. We miss Paul in these situations.
JMike played 21 minutes had no assists and four turnovers and took nine shots. Who is the black hole ?

Other than the win , watching that game from third row center court was torture. 2 teams that were horrific in almost everything they did , passing , shooting from 2 or 3 , dribbling without turning it over , driving to the basket and throwing up prayers. Horrendous basketball.
The 2 most fundamentally sound offensive plays were JMike driving hard , coming to a jump stop , letting defender fly by and hitting the easy bank shot. The second was Mag’s hard drive and turnaround bank shot off glass in the second half. Austin Williams keeping his dribble alive and getting layups , fighting hard for

Credit to @RU72 for calling Indiana not matching Rutgers physicality. Rutgers has looked soft and weak almost the entire season so I thought he was just going off previous seasons reputations with that take. Indiana was softer and weaker for sure. Williams adds much needed toughness and physicality

Simpson needs to learn to drive with the INTENT to distribute in games like last night when he is off. Simpson is streaky and inconsistent and likely always will be. When he's hot, fine let him cook. When he's not... drive to the lane and look for kick out 3's or slip passes and lobs to the bigs. He essentially never does. It's frustrating to watch as a fan and more frustrating for Cliff who is used to Paul driving with the goal to be dishing to him every time

Other than the win , watching that game from third row center court was torture. 2 teams that were horrific in almost everything they did , passing , shooting from 2 or 3 , dribbling without turning it over , driving to the basket and throwing up prayers. Horrendous basketball.
The 2 most fundamentally sound offensive plays were JMike driving hard , coming to a jump stop , letting defender fly by and hitting the easy bank shot. The second was Mag’s hard drive and turnaround bank shot off glass in the second half. Austin Williams keeping his dribble alive and getting layups , fighting hard for
Rebounds and going up strong for put back layups. The 2 critical plays of the game were his tough offensive rebound and kick out for the Hyatt 3 and JMike ‘s rebound and walk out 3 . Gave us separation.
Mag and Austin , Cliff’s defense and offensive and defensive rebounding all the only highlights.

The low lights : Derek was atrocious throwing up ridiculous shot after shot and only 1 Cliff alley oop when 4 were there. To be so clueless and selfish to drive 4 times and get swatted 3 times and dribble into 3 guys to get it stolen was pathetic. When the big guy came over to swat, Cliff was wide open. His other shots where he half shot it and didn’t know how to shoot it were an eye sore. Our guards almost all of them do not run the PNR properly to maximize Cliff’s offense and it hurts us badly. Lousy coaching by Pike , Knight and Tj.
Gavin is lost and playing like a robot. Jacking shots not set. Then Pike runs a set play out of a time out yesterday and he airballs it over the rim. Are you kidding me ? He doesn’t do anything else to win, passing , dribbling , hustling , rebounding to impact winning. Pike was running staggered screens for him and his defender stays with him and he stops. He has to keep on moving until he is free . He has to fake going out to the 3 point line and go back door for a layup or alley oop. He mentally has lost his basketball sense. He has to work harder and hustle more and maybe hitting a couple of layups or 2 point 10-14 footers will get him going , Because his 3 point shooting is right next to horrendous and now he is taking bad shots.

Reactions: satnom
Credit to @RU72 for calling Indiana not matching Rutgers physicality. Rutgers has looked soft and weak almost the entire season so I thought he was just going off previous seasons reputations with that take. Indiana was softer and weaker for sure. Williams adds much needed toughness and physicality

Simpson needs to learn to drive with the INTENT to distribute in games like last night when he is off. Simpson is streaky and inconsistent and likely always will be. When he's hot, fine let him cook. When he's not... drive to the lane and look for kick out 3's or slip passes and lobs to the bigs. He essentially never does. It's frustrating to watch as a fan and more frustrating for Cliff who is used to Paul driving with the goal to be dishing to him every time
It isnt Simpson being off. It is Simpson being 6’2 going up against 6’10’’ players. With essentially no tape showing he is a threat to dish or jump stop near the rim it is almost a certainty he will not finish or het lucky with a foul call.

It works against teams that dont have shot blocking bigs

Reactions: Unionst and kcg88

Saw that and Bartow called out Simpson for not looking for Cliff on the broadcast. Say what you want about the “plodding” Mulcahy, he never missed those wide open entries to Cliff.

Reactions: RU MAN and Scangg
I think it's a mistake to give up on anybody. Depending on the poster and the moment, everybody sucks. Cliff, Derek, Noah, Gavin, Oscar, Aundre...everybody catches shrapnel. But over the long run, they all have the opportunity to make a contribution.

In terms of giving up though, nothing beats the gameday threads. Any game we go down 12 with 35 minutes left, game's over. Even works in reverse, posters saying last night up 12 with 4 minutes left, game's over. Hysterical.

The question for Noah is does he care enough to dig deep and fight to get back into the rotation more or does he accept it and possibly start to mentally check out a bit

I'm hoping Noah is a fighter. Even if someone has lost all faith in Noah, it's a long season. Injuries happen. Chances are we will need him to step up at some point even if he has lost his spot in the pecking order

Rebounds and going up strong for put back layups. The 2 critical plays of the game were his tough offensive rebound and kick out for the Hyatt 3 and JMike ‘s rebound and walk out 3 . Gave us separation.
Mag and Austin , Cliff’s defense and offensive and defensive rebounding all the only highlights.

The low lights : Derek was atrocious throwing up ridiculous shot after shot and only 1 Cliff alley oop when 4 were there. To be so clueless and selfish to drive 4 times and get swatted 3 times and dribble into 3 guys to get it stolen was pathetic. When the big guy came over to swat, Cliff was wide open. His other shots where he half shot it and didn’t know how to shoot it were an eye sore. Our guards almost all of them do not run the PNR properly to maximize Cliff’s offense and it hurts us badly. Lousy coaching by Pike , Knight and Tj.
Gavin is lost and playing like a robot. Jacking shots not set. Then Pike runs a set play out of a time out yesterday and he airballs it over the rim. Are you kidding me ? He doesn’t do anything else to win, passing , dribbling , hustling , rebounding to impact winning. Pike was running staggered screens for him and his defender stays with him and he stops. He has to keep on moving until he is free . He has to fake going out to the 3 point line and go back door for a layup or alley oop. He mentally has lost his basketball sense. He has to work harder and hustle more and maybe hitting a couple of layups or 2 point 10-14 footers will get him going , Because his 3 point shooting is right next to horrendous and now he is taking bad shots.
You’re on fire goru7. Derek definitely has a scorer mentality yet he’s playing the pg position. Has yet to show he can dish off the fast break and is trying to go up against some trees. More often than not, it won’t work. I think he missed more pick and roll opportunities than alley oops with Cliff. That’s when in my opinion Cliff is more effective. Rolling to the basket with momentum to get ball while beating his defender with lob pass for the flush. Cliff’s offensive game is limited to the PAR lob and alley oops because the rest of his offensive game is not good.

I was one advocating for continued significant mins for Gavin as he works on his confidence by making shots but I’m with you goru7 if he keeps on just chucking shots from 35ft+ plus away without conscious and not moving wirhout the ball, he’ll need to sit. I don’t see this young man as a pouter but he is no longer the big fish in a small pond and needs to work on other facets of his game while figuring out shooting issue. Kid is an excellent shooter but he can not stand around while waiting to receive the ball. Make some cuts, set some picks, get under the basket to rebound. He has nice vertically and can seat some shots in the paint. In my opinion he is less a guard and closer to a stretch 4.

Really like Gavin’s talent which can be accentuated by stud shooters and drivers on the court with him but until then, he needs to get down and dirty on defensive end and on putbacks on the offensive end.

GO RU

Reactions: goru7
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT