ADVERTISEMENT

observations, after first 2 weekends

ruwarrior

Junior
Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
a few random observations, after watched several matches over the last 2 weekends...

Correnti looks like a different wrestler. His body has transformed. That difference also shows in his performance... relentless now and no "gassing". He has always had the technical ability, but now it appears the physical and mental dedication has caught up.

Pagano looks super slick, and strong. Can his body hold up? All of a sudden, 195 is a strength LOL.

Alvarez is good enough to be an NCAA qualifier this year. Long term potential is even higher.

125 and HWT... who knows? Not optimistic, though.

165.... Donner looks pretty good. So does Turley. hmmmm...

Janzer and Jojo... long term they will be great. This year, do they have enough offense? and can they get out from the bottom position? I do see them both qualifying this year.

Where does Lipari fit in? He looks good, as good or better than at the end of last year, NCAA qualifier level good, sneaky AA good with the right breaks. Will he get a chance, and if so, where?

149... uggh.

MVB... he looks better physically now (obviously), but the same mental and tactical inconsistency from match to match, and during matches, is showing. I guess we have to live with it this year. Hope he puts it together somehow this year, because the potential is there.

Grello. again potential is there, but consistency is lacking (mostly mental and tactical issues).

Overall, the "depth" of the team is easily best ever.

IMO could be anywhere from 4 to 8 NCAA qualifiers (133, 141, 157, 174, 184, 197 decent chances, 165, HWT outside chances, 125 long shot, 149 only chance is Lipari goes up and succeeds, or a frosh cuts down (doubtful)). Suriano coming back at 125 would be incredible, but I hope he RS all year and comes back next year.

I agree with most of your post however, Correnti I disagree on. I did not see any body transformation in him nor the relentless aggression. I like that he was winning and we didn't see the WTF match which became all too common last year.

But he didn't wrestle anywhere close to the competition Pagano did. Going off this tournament, I'd have to give the nod to Pagano. I said it in the tourney thread, "I feel much more confident at making NCAA's at 197 with Pagano there."

Why so down on 125? He had a decent 1st weekend in Princeton and not a bad Redshirt year. I think 125, 133, 141, 165, 174, 184, 197 and Hvy can all qualify. I am skeptical on 149 and 157. But even Angelo had nice win over Eddins and just not sold on MVB. No offense all weekend.

Why so down on 125? He had a decent 1st weekend in Princeton and not a bad Redshirt year. I think 125, 133, 141, 165, 174, 184, 197 and Hvy can all qualify. I am skeptical on 149 and 157. But even Angelo had nice win over Eddins and just not sold on MVB. No offense all weekend.

I think Aguilar looks a little better than last year......but he did not have a good redshirt year...he was 6-7 against D-1 wrestlers and at the Princeton Open he beat a solid Manchio(who did not qualify last year), but his other wins were against the Princeton back up, the Lehigh back up and the Hofstra wrestler Metzler beat last year. If I had to guess right now I do not think he qualifies. But I really hope I am wrong!!

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
I think Aguilar looks a little better than last year......but he did not have a good redshirt year...he was 6-7 against D-1 wrestlers and at the Princeton Open he beat a solid Manchio(who did not qualify last year), but his other wins were against the Princeton back up, the Lehigh back up and the Hofstra wrestler Metzler beat last year. If I had to guess right now I do not think he qualifies. But I really hope I am wrong!!
Lots of close losses though vs quality opponents and Ryder is good. He lost to Metzler one of his firer college matches and then beat him later on in a tournament. Guess let’s see what happens.

Reactions: FoxRU
MVB’s definitely needs to pull the trigger more from his feet. The problem is that he is not great on bottom. It’s way harder to be more aggressive on your feet when you are worried about giving up a takedown and getting ridden out for the rest of the period.

Aguilar is very talented. His issue is size. The Princeton back up is a very high recruit from PA. Not sure about the Lehigh kid. Aguilar will win a bunch of matches close this year. His best days are ahead of him as he grows into the weight.

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
What is the status on vulakh. Is the injury a season issue. Perhaps he could be the answer at 149 or even push mvb at 157. Any idea when and where he comes back?

Well thought out post from the OP. Obviously put a lot of effort into it. Lots to agree with. One point to nitpick on though.....seems like the inability to have clear cut starters at several weights is being misinterpreted as depth. To me it's more accurate to say the overall parity between starters and backups might be the highest ever.

Also, I think Aragona would be better served to take a RS. Bottom wrestling just isnt there yet, which is quite common for true freshmen. Had great difficulty this weekend. Just take the RS and focus on getting better with no pressure. Having said that, he's good enough from neutral and top to win a good amount of matches this year so I can see the coaches starting him.

Well thought out post from the OP. Obviously put a lot of effort into it. Lots to agree with. One point to nitpick on though.....seems like the inability to have clear cut starters at several weights is being misinterpreted as depth. To me it's more accurate to say the overall parity between starters and backups might be the highest ever.

Also, I think Aragona would be better served to take a RS. Bottom wrestling just isnt there yet, which is quite common for true freshmen. Had great difficulty this weekend. Just take the RS and focus on getting better with no pressure. Having said that, he's good enough from neutral and top to win a good amount of matches this year so I can see the coaches starting him.
Can’t redshirt this year. He has already wrestled attached so redshirt is burned for this year.

Aguilar is very talented. His issue is size. The Princeton back up is a very high recruit from PA. Not sure about the Lehigh kid. Aguilar will win a bunch of matches close this year. His best days are ahead of him as he grows into the weight.

I pretty much agree with you. But for this season(size being one of the issues) just do not see him making the NCAA tournament. I also do not take as much as others from close losses. A ton of college guys lose close matches....... to wrestlers who always win close ones

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Can’t redshirt this year. He has already wrestled attached so redshirt is burned for this year.

This is where it could comeback and bite the coaches discussion to not redshirt Aragona.I think he would have been a better decision to start Lipari regardless of the wrestle off results.

This is where it could comeback and bite the coaches discussion to not redshirt Aragona.I think he would have been a better decision to start Lipari regardless of the wrestle off results.

It's been said numerous times that Aragona himself didn't want to redshirt and he has obviously proved himself in the room to the coaches that he is capable of competing/being successful this year without one. A lot can happen in 4-5 years and it's not out of the realm of possibility that he redshirts a some point along the way.

Practice and experience is the best way to get better and he will obviously get a ton of it this year against top competition. He will also continue to get world class training and nutrition as well which will only help him get stronger.

It's been said numerous times that Aragona himself didn't want to redshirt and he has obviously proved himself in the room to the coaches that he is capable of competing/being successful this year without one. A lot can happen in 4-5 years and it's not out of the realm of possibility that he redshirts a some point along the way.

Practice and experience is the best way to get better and he will obviously get a ton of it this year against top competition. He will also continue to get world class training and nutrition as well which will only help him get stronger.

I don't see him red-shirting later baring injury.Once you start wrestling you do not want to take a redshirt later. At this point it will be 4 years of straight wrestling except he also makes a world team.

what I meant by "depth" is.... it seems to me that the bottom 1/4 to 1/3 of the roster is better than ever before. I have been impressed by some performances of guys like Lightner, Olvieri, Firestone, Turley, Kanniard, Angelo, etc. so far.

I do agree with you that more starting spots seem unresolved as compared to the last several years. However, this is to be expected in what should be considered a "rebuilding" season (especially with Suriano out).

seems like the inability to have clear cut starters at several weights is being misinterpreted as depth. To me it's more accurate to say the overall parity between starters and backups might be the highest ever.

Reactions: belushijo

Exactly, he has some good competition around his weight with Angelo, Lipari, Alvarez, but more importantly is he gets to roll with Donny, Ash, Suriano, Tyler Graff through the RTC. We have a pretty impressive roster for kids in the 125-157 range to learn.

Yes, my issue with 125 is Aguilar's lack of size/strength. Unfortunately, I can see him getting steamrolled by most Big Ten 125 wrestlers this year. Hope I'm wrong!

we will have to agree to disagree about Correnti. To my eyes, in the 3 matches I saw on Sunday, the difference/improvement was noticeable. Hope he keeps it up all year.

Can't say that I disagree with you about Pagano, though. As mentioned, I hope his body holds up all year, as that has been an issue for him in the past.

I agree with most of your post however, Correnti I disagree on. I did not see any body transformation in him nor the relentless aggression. I like that he was winning and we didn't see the WTF match which became all too common last year.

But he didn't wrestle anywhere close to the competition Pagano did. Going off this tournament, I'd have to give the nod to Pagano. I said it in the tourney thread, "I feel much more confident at making NCAA's at 197 with Pagano there."

Lots of close losses though vs quality opponents and Ryder is good. He lost to Metzler one of his firer college matches and then beat him later on in a tournament. Guess let’s see what happens.
Counting Ryder as a good win pretty much kills the credibility of your post. Unless being "good" is defined as a thoroughly average D1 wrestler. But I thought the original point was about qualifying.

Counting Ryder as a good win pretty much kills the credibility of your post. Unless being "good" is defined as a thoroughly average D1 wrestler. But I thought the original point was about qualifying.
Ok tough guy. Ryder is a good wrestler and will be a 2-3x NCAA qualifier. But since you know it all we will see.
23-13 overall record last year
2017 High School National Champion…Three-time New York State High School Championship finalist and won the 106-Title In 2017.
Fargo All-American in 2016.

Ok tough guy. Ryder is a good wrestler and will be a 2-3x NCAA qualifier. But since you know it all we will see.
23-13 overall record last year
2017 High School National Champion…Three-time New York State High School Championship finalist and won the 106-Title In 2017.
Fargo All-American in 2016.
I know who he is. At this time he qualifies as average. I've seen him wrestle in college - last year at Binghamton and at EIWAs.

It's no rip to call a kid an average D1 wrestler. Actually a compliment in my eyes in a different discussion, especially for a young guy.

From your own post quoted here, it looks like you have some doubts that he qualifies this year despite your ardent support. Back to the discussion, in relation to Aguilar. Given the OP, bringing up a TB win over Dylan Ryder kind of cements his point instead of supporting yours.

Last I checked RU wrestles in the B1G where being thoroughly average gets you maybe 1 or 2 conference wins a year. Extrapolate a TB win over Ryder to the B1G tournament and you're looking at 0-2 or 1-2 with a good dropdown.

Aguilar has a ways to go right now.

Last edited:
I know who he is. At this time he qualifies as average. I've seen him wrestle in college - last year at Binghamton and at EIWAs.

It's no rip to call a kid an average D1 wrestler. Actually a compliment in my eyes in a different discussion, especially for a young guy.

From your own post quoted here, it looks like you have some doubts that he qualifies this year despite your ardent support. Back to the discussion, in relation to Aguilar. Given the OP, bringing up a TB win over Dylan Ryder kind of cements his point instead of supporting yours.

Last I checked RU wrestles in the B1G where being thoroughly average gets you maybe 1 or 2 conference wins a year. Extrapolate a TB win over Ryder to the B1G tournament and you're looking at 0-2 or 1-2 with a good dropdown.

Aguilar has a ways to go right now.
Fair enough

Reactions: dicemen99
Don’t count Robinson out. If he regains his confidence, he could surprise. His match against UPJ could be the first step. I imagine both kids will make the west coast trip. Aguilar may still be small for the weight class.

Don’t count Robinson out. If he regains his confidence, he could surprise. His match against UPJ could be the first step. I imagine both kids will make the west coast trip. Aguilar may still be small for the weight class.
I think Aguilar will wrestle both California matches simply because he's from California and I'm sure Goodale made sure a trip like that was in place for him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT