ADVERTISEMENT

OKC Thunder fills out Two-Way Contracts. No Caleb

NickRU714

Heisman Winner
Aug 18, 2009
OKC signed their last 2 two-way contracts.
Two players that were previously on two-ways with them.

This means Caleb won't be getting one from OKC.
Perhaps he can try to get one from another team?
Or he might just end up with a regular G-League contract.

One benefit of this - any team in the NBA can then pick up out of the G-League for their NBA roster.
The downside is that a standard G-League contact is approx $40,000 total for a 5 month season.

For comparison - RHJ is on a two-way contract with Toronto and makes approx $500,000 but he can only be called up by Toronto.

https://www.si.com/nba/thunder/news/okc-thunder-fill-two-way-contract-slots

Defense is more important in college than professional basketball.

Defense is still important. Just that you need a certain level of offense to go with that defense.

There’s a reason guys who played great D but no O don’t make it in the league. Any defensive advantage they give pales in comparison to the fact you are playing 4 v 5 vs NBA players on O.

Crazy to think there are kids not as good as Caleb getting $200K in NIL money to play college basketball and he will make $40,000 as a professional.

I can't help but think at some point this NIL mania is going to level off.
100%. There will be outliers but the ROI for a vast majority of these guys will be nil.

Reactions: LeapinLou
100%. There will be outliers but the ROI for a vast majority of these guys will be nil.

You mean guys like:
Eddie Jordan, Fred Hill Jr., Mike Rice, Chris Ash, Jerry Kill, John McNulty

Why do people only care about the "ROI" for players but no coaches?

A lot more money is wasted on coaches than players.
How many players are collecting checks when not even on the team anymore?

You mean guys like:

Lol - each Ash win cost 1.5 million.

You mean guys like:

I've rebutted this before. sully question with false equivalency.

Reactions: NickRU714
Crazy to think there are kids not as good as Caleb getting $200K in NIL money to play college basketball and he will make $40,000 as a professional.

I can't help but think at some point this NIL mania is going to level off.
NIL might level off but the marketing ROI is in college basketball, not G league.

Reactions: LeapinLou
You mean guys like:

People are furious that a starting 5 cost $1 million dollars combined but have no problem paying a coach $4 million. Make it make sense.

people always think the NBA doesn't stress defense. They absolutely do. And the defense that is played is very good

the difference is the offense in the NBA is MILES above college ball. You can play the greatest defense in the world and still not be able to stop some guys. The offensive skill players in the NBA are beyond phenomenal and will make good defense look bad every day.

Caleb will get his shot in the G-league to earn a spot on a roster somewhere. He knew going in it would be a long shot to get his chance off the bat. He came close but now he can’t let up with his training. Kids not a quitter. My money’s on him to make a roster one day. Beat of luck to him.

People are furious that a starting 5 cost $1 million dollars combined but have no problem paying a coach $4 million. Make it make sense.
They are already paid. And yes it makes sense. These kids come and go after 1,2 or 3 years. Coaching make a program a long term success or not.

I think with an Exhibit 10 contract he still gets to go to OKC camp (unless he gets cut), and if they like him they can stash him on their G League team.

people always think the NBA doesn't stress defense. They absolutely do. And the defense that is played is very good

the difference is the offense in the NBA is MILES above college ball. You can play the greatest defense in the world and still not be able to stop some guys. The offensive skill players in the NBA are beyond phenomenal and will make good defense look bad every day.

I generally agree but I’d argue that defensive intensity in the regular season is mediocre. You see the scoring averages come down in the post season for a reason. I’d also argue that all the rules in the nba benefit the offense. If an NBA ref called one of our games, half our team would foul out by halftime.

Speaking of Caleb. How great was he in Dayton against ND? Flat out great in his home town. Wish we could have pulled that out for him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT