ADVERTISEMENT

On the Banks Tribute to Mike Williams

Mike is one of my all-time favorites. RU could use a lot more guys with his passion, max. effort, high energy and his commitment on both defense and on the boards.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
I thoroughly enjoyed watching Mike Williams play. Not the most talented, but his heart and effort was always fantastic. One of my favorites as well. I wish him nothing but the best.

Reactions: shields
It is really a shame the way his season has gone overall, and the team's with it. Just another in a long line of devoted Rutgers athletes where things didn't quite work out on the field or court the way they would have wanted, and without much positivity at the very end to even feel that it's definitely headed in the right direction. Someday, some guys on this team who gave their all to Rutgers will get to wrap up their careers with an NCAA tournament bid. Won't that be something.

Love Mike Williams. I really wish he had the opportunity to be part of a winning team here- because he earned it. Always gave max effort, and played good team ball. I would want a few Mike Williams on my team- if I were a coach

I loved his grit and attitude. How could you not root for this guy. Good luck Mike. I’m sure your work ethic will carry you far in life!

Came to RU with a rep as sharp shooter but instead was a grinder.

This is the one thing that has been mind boggling to me.

I really really thought the light would kick on in his shooting, especially with no hand issues like last year...and get some senior fever and have a big senior season on the offensive side
(Thinking 12-13 ppg )

Just didn’t happen

Type of kid for whom it is so easy to root for. I will be very happy to cheer for him on Sunday.

I hope everyone who can makes the trip on Sunday and is in their seats early to give him a proper ovation.

This is the one thing that has been mind boggling to me.

I really really thought the light would kick on in his shooting, especially with no hand issues like last year...and get some senior fever and have a big senior season on the offensive side
(Thinking 12-13 ppg )

Just didn’t happen

Sadly, based on his great performance in the St. John's exhibition game, I really thought this year would be that year. But then two bad injuries followed for Mike and that was the end of that. We can only wonder what would have happened if Mike was playing healthy all year.

Mike is currently sitting at 1058 points, which ranks 35th all time at Rutgers. Ahead of him are:

31st - 1104 - Rashod Kent (1998-2002)
32nd - 1095 - Steve Worthy (1991-92)
33rd - 1092 - Anthony Farmer (2005-09)
34th - 1060 - JR Inman (2005-09)

Just 2 more points will move him into a tie for 34th all time - but 33rd and above aren't out of reach yet, especially if we can get a win in the first round of the B1G tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT