ADVERTISEMENT

One thing is painfully clear in the B1G..

SBP

All Conference
Feb 5, 2003
Our slow, plodding style is outmatched by the way other leagues play these days. It is so apparent if watch only a few minutes of these games. We are a slow league in general, and our “rugged” style is no match for speed and good guard play.

MSU advanced because of their attacking tempo and aggressive guard play.

Time for the Dinosaurs to evolve…

I think we are getting that with our recruiting and hopefully in the portal.

Speed kills…and knockdown shooters.

Iowa can’t make it past the first round.

Tennessee, SDSU, Arkansas, Kansas St are all defensively minded teams. Houston and UCLA are programs built off D.

I think this tournament is proving if anything that our style can thrive.

I do agree you need to have quick ball dominate guards to thrive in the tournament. We are moving that way as well

Tennessee, SDSU, Arkansas, Kansas St are all defensively minded teams. Houston and UCLA are programs built off D.

I do agree you need to have quick ball dominate guards to thrive in the tournament. We are moving that way as well
You’re leaving out one thing .. Defensive minded (like most teams are) WHO ARE FAST and SHOOT LIGHTS OUT. Our style? What style is that? The zero speed offense, dump it down low and hope for no turnovers?

Reactions: RUNVA
Our slow, plodding style is outmatched by the way other leagues play these days. It is so apparent if watch only a few minutes of these games. We are a slow league in general, and our “rugged” style is no match for speed and good guard play.

They are on the way, plus Pikes D…can’t wait!!!

Lol this fanbase is just realizing what a select few have been saying for nearly 3 years now. The average RU fan is pretty clueless vis a vis the college sports world outside Rutgers athletics, as they are as well with our football coach.

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
Big ten is still living in the past. I dont know how many more years the conference has to be embarrassed in march before the coaches even pretend to earn their paychecks.

You need athletes and shooters. Defense is easy to teach, offensive talent and shooting is hard to teach. Recruit the best offensive players you can find and then teach them D which is largely just effort

Lol this fanbase is just realizing what a select few have been saying for nearly 3 years now. The average RU fan is pretty clueless vis a vis the college sports world outside Rutgers athletics, as they are as well with our football coach.
it’s been said ad nauseam on this board for several years by many posters. i don’t recall anyone even disagreeing.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Big ten is still living in the past. I dont know how many more years the conference has to be embarrassed in march before the coaches even pretend to earn their paychecks.

You need athletes and shooters. Defense is easy to teach, offensive talent and shooting is hard to teach. Recruit the best offensive players you can find and then teach them D which is largely just effort
You mean by having sold out arenas all the time and the BIGGEST tv contracts ever?

Groz

yep. athletes , athletes athletes. Also don’t run your offense through a big; need to space the court with guards and long wings and let them create off the dribble. Bigs need to crash the glass, be rim protectors and finish athletically at the rim.

yep. athletes , athletes athletes. Also don’t run your offense through a big; need to space the court with guards and long wings and let them create off the dribble. Bigs need to crash the glass, be rim protectors and finish athletically at the rim.
Agree that is how the game is played now. Even Charles Barkley said that.

Best of Luck,
Groz

Reactions: Shell21

Thrive?? The BIG 10 has not won a national championship in the century in basketball. They are legends in their own minds. They even lost the ACC/Big Ten challenge this year when the ACC was obviously down.

For Big 10 to improve in March:

- League needs more athletes and quickness - plain and simple.

- Not much diversification in playing styles in this conference. There are so many teams that are similar in style via half court offense / playing thru the bigs etc. Conference would be better off with several teams that play up and down like an Iowa.

- As Recruiting is the lifeline for College BB, I always felt that recruiting historically in the conference lagged against other top conferences overall and individually. For 2023, Recruiting appears ok as per team rankings per 247 Sports:

3. Sparty
6. Ohio State
11 . USC ( joins conference in 2024)
15. UCLA ( joins conference in 2024)
16. Maryland
24. Illinois
29. Iowa
32. Penn State
37. Rutgers

- When coaching changes occur, I also felt league doesn't go after "A" talent or its hires are somwhat questionable. Examples: Minnesota (Ben Johnson) / Michigan (Juwann Howard) - albeit Shrewsbury and Willard may be exceptions. Woodson and Hoiberg are other 2 rather recent "eh" hires. Compare recent hires at Big East: Marquette - Shaka Smart / Xavier - Sean Miller / St Johns - Pitino (rumored). Big time hires for BE which conference should be commended for.

Last edited:
Reactions: silkcitypirate
I would argue, based on the recruits we have committed and the targets still out there, along with the portal targets, that the staff is well aware of this. Pair that with a potential shake up with the offensive coaching and there’s not much more Rutgers could be doing.
What potential shake up in offensive coaching?

So if quick guard play and speed is the difference make why did Iowa, Illinois, Penn State all struggle? They all play that style. Michigan State plays that way too and is the only one to make it.

it’s been said ad nauseam on this board for several years by many posters. i don’t recall anyone even disagreeing.
It was already being said back in the Seventies, in addition, at least where I hung out (ACC land).

Not saying I agree with it…

Agree that is how the game is played now. Even Charles Barkley said that.

Best of Luck,
Groz
Charles Barkley yesterday also said defense is the most important thing . He said people don’t realize that because the highlights a,ways show dunking and 3 pt shots there are no highlights for defense .

Reactions: Groz
I just wish Pike would put the pipe down every once in awhile about the Big 10 being the best conference in basketball. It is one of his go to lines in nearly every post game press conference. Win or lose.

I realize there are different measures for being the best and the Big 10 is one of the top 4 but there are others just as good if not better. The reality is the parity in college basketball has never been greater yet we continue to underwhelm in the NCAA tournament.

I just wish Pike would put the pipe down every once in awhile about the Big 10 being the best conference in basketball. It is one of his go to lines in nearly every post game press conference. Win or lose.

I realize there are different measures for being the best and the Big 10 is one of the top 4 but there are others just as good if not better. The reality is the parity in college basketball has never been greater yet we continue to underwhelm in the NCAA tournament.
Have you ever heard of coach speak? It's a thing.

Maybe because defense is fresh early in the year and tires as the year moves out n
I recall that when we were on a nice run earlier in the season and we’re playing D like our hair was on fire, you were concerned that we could burn out physically and mentally playing at that pace, especially with a short bench. Sure looked that way when we hit a wall towards the end of the season, so you may have been on to something.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
The idealized version of Pikiell's philosophy is something like UCLA (21st offense, 2nd defense) or Tennessee (60th offense, 1st defense) and those teams are in the Sweet 16.

Marquette (6th offense, 44th defense) and Baylor (2nd offense, 101st defense) are out. There's no one way to get it done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT