ADVERTISEMENT

OSU cancels vs Washington

OSU announced Wednesday that it has canceled its scheduled home-and-home series with the Huskies in 2024 and 2025, instead opting to replace that series with a pair of home games against opponents to be determined. The Buckeyes will not play any non-conference road games in either season

OSU AD said, "As a result of the cancellation, we will add an eighth home game for the 2024 season, affording us the opportunity to have the funding to pay the penalty and guarantee for that eighth opponent.”

I'm guessing Wagner.

Better offer? Travel costs for their HVAC system (they brought someplace down south) was too much? Didn't want a night out in the CHAZ for their players? Fear of China balloons on the west coast?

Oh.. Colbert's on it. Home game $$$$$$$$$ in two seasons.. Ha! they probably offered deals when the B1G wanted PAC cooperation for the playoff expansion negotiations. But now they have to go to the west coast for USC or UCLA many years.. especially early in the deal with them in B1G expansion.

My guess for opponents to be named later is a compass direction school from that state up north or Illinois. Hmm.. maybe the home team of some HS recruit target they have. Get covered in their local news crushing them.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUScrew85
Your guesses as to the replacement team needs to take Ohio politics into account. A game at Columbus could provide a big payday for one of the in-state MAC schools. I expect it will be one of them.

Your guesses as to the replacement team needs to take Ohio politics into account. A game at Columbus could provide a big payday for one of the in-state MAC schools. I expect it will be one of them.
Politics or just smart business to support the state schools and residents?

Maybe OSU knows they’ll be traveling to UCLA or USC in the same season they had planned to play @ Washington. Avoid 2 west coast trips in the same season.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Maybe OSU knows they’ll be traveling to UCLA or USC in the same season they had planned to play @ Washington. Avoid 2 west coast trips in the same season.
Especially when they are often competing for playoff spots against SEC teams who seldom or ever travel outside of their region, and who get a late season breather to recharge with FCS week.

Especially when they are often competing for playoff spots against SEC teams who seldom or ever travel outside of their region, and who get a late season breather to recharge with FCS week.
Usually right before their rivalry games too.

And sign me up for a guaranteed 7/8 home games schedule every season.

Last edited:
First, I am an OSU alum/fan. If one was to look at the schedules of Big Ten teams, nobody has anyone scheduled in conference. Take a look at your own schedule.

From what I have read, they don't plan on having anything until October of this year. They have been talking going division less. So outside of Michigan, Penn State and mostly like one of the LA schools - who do we play?

Also, given 9 conference games - do we have 5 or 4 Home games?

Pretty much all of this applies to all Big Ten teams at the moment.

I love how they have a plan to offset cost and maybe even make more $. When we cancelled UCLA I believe we lost the $ . That was my biggest beef with the trip to MSG this year. Not getting covered for the financial loss.

First, I am an OSU alum/fan. If one was to look at the schedules of Big Ten teams, nobody has anyone scheduled in conference. Take a look at your own schedule.

From what I have read, they don't plan on having anything until October of this year. They have been talking going division less. So outside of Michigan, Penn State and mostly like one of the LA schools - who do we play?

Also, given 9 conference games - do we have 5 or 4 Home games?

Pretty much all of this applies to all Big Ten teams at the moment.
Not sure what you mean?

Better offer? Travel costs for their HVAC system (they brought someplace down south) was too much? Didn't want a night out in the CHAZ for their players? Fear of China balloons on the west coast?

Oh.. Colbert's on it. Home game $$$$$$$$$ in two seasons.. Ha! they probably offered deals when the B1G wanted PAC cooperation for the playoff expansion negotiations. But now they have to go to the west coast for USC or UCLA many years.. especially early in the deal with them in B1G expansion.

My guess for opponents to be named later is a compass direction school from that state up north or Illinois. Hmm.. maybe the home team of some HS recruit target they have. Get covered in their local news crushing them.

Plus adding one home game win and associated revenue.

No point in having a game with them when they’ll be conference mates in a few seasons

At what point does OSU decide to no longer come to Rutgers in favor of hosting the game at The Horseshoe yearly, for a 9th home game? Jesus.

At what point does OSU decide to no longer come to Rutgers in favor of hosting the game at The Horseshoe yearly, for a 9th home game? Jesus.
That's as likely to happen as RU leaving the B1G to join the PAC so they can play OSU
(Oregon State University)

We won't be playing them yearly (most likely) after the California schools join. We'll have Maryland, Indiana and someone else ... whoever the conference doesn't like.

Reactions: Local Shill
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT