ADVERTISEMENT

OSU Game could be Pandemonium in Piscataway Part II

We played with Michigan up until 4:31 of the 3rd quarter, which is when we threw the pick6. We should be similarly competitive with Ohio State.
I get it, all. But we have never played well against OSU. Yes, each year is different, but we can’t pretend that RU is of the Michigan or OSU caliber, at least not yet. Even if or when our starters are first class players, it takes time to develop the depth to compete against these upper echelon teams.

We are getting more hopefully today after we played pretty poorly for 3 quarters

All that is remembered is that we won

I would be more hopeful against OSU if we played well for a game
interesting enough with MST- we didn't really play badly in the first Qtr. They did have the one solid drive but the refs took the rest of the qtr away but it was not bad...

Reactions: shields
You think after this week, our fans would know better than to turn the game off after the 3rd quarter.
Yea, I’m taking about previous games vs schools like OSU and Michigan. No chance they were coming back from those deficits

You think after this week, our fans would know better than to turn the game off after the 3rd quarter.
I should know, but I’ve been deflated too often over more than 50 years as an RU football “follower”—starting with losing at the last second on a 2-pt conversion at Princeton my senior year. Not “blaming” anyone so much as having the kind of “tragic sense” Cubs fans had before they started winning. I’m not all that knowledgeable and I don’t worry if I miss seeing a game—even B-Ball. But I follow this board bc the long-running effort to become “big-time” as a State University is a compelling drama—and I DO enjoy learning from real RU sports fans and being entertained by the back-and-forth (esp when grown men insult one another—or opponents—as if they were still undergrads). Having said all that, I so enjoyed Greg’s magic moment in the locker room this past Saturday. It was pure joy—even for me! I’ll never forget it!

I would rephrase it to a game we can win. The point spread is so thin and with the noise at their place a loss would not be surprising.
Said something similar before teh Michigan State game. Just look at recruiting class ranks. That ain't perfect.. but while there may be Big Ten teams we cannot beat (meaning we'd need so many calls and bounces our way it is virtually impossible), there is not a Big Ten team that cannot beat us... within the range of possibilities.

SHOULD.. should we beat Indiana. Yes.

Yeah and I’m going to be here in my 80’s someday hopefully we’ll have 2-3 B1G titles by then and several Trips to the college football playoffs. How about you?
Don’t worry about me, I have been here a long time as a season ticket holder in both football and basketball and as a donor.

Yea, I’m taking about previous games vs schools like OSU and Michigan. No chance they were coming back from those deficits
I know, it was a bit tongue in cheek comment

Rutgers sports has a way of turning the eternal optimist in all of us into a doubting Thomas

I should know, but I’ve been deflated too often over more than 50 years as an RU football “follower”—starting with losing at the last second on a 2-pt conversion at Princeton my senior year. Not “blaming” anyone so much as having the kind of “tragic sense” Cubs fans had before they started winning. I’m not all that knowledgeable and I don’t worry if I miss seeing a game—even B-Ball. But I follow this board bc the long-running effort to become “big-time” as a State University is a compelling drama—and I DO enjoy learning from real RU sports fans and being entertained by the back-and-forth (esp when grown men insult one another—or opponents—as if they were still undergrads). Having said all that, I so enjoyed Greg’s magic moment in the locker room this past Saturday. It was pure joy—even for me! I’ll never forget it!
Every old time RU fan gets exactly what you are saying & many had soured at that point.

Greg's celebration in the locker room was an instant classic

Indiana in six days is a game we SHOULD win.

6-2 Rutgers beating an undefeated Ohio State would not rise to Pandemonium levels IMO. That game was massive because we were both ranked high and unbeaten and it was the only game on that night. None of those will be the case this season.

Don’t worry about me, I have been here a long time as a season ticket holder in both football and basketball and as a donor.
Ditto … started following Rutgers in high school 1965 …. … season ticket holder since 1970’s … both basketball and football ….donor … get some rest Pete.

Reactions: wheezer
Ditto … started following Rutgers in high school 1965 …. … season ticket holder since 1970’s … both basketball and football ….donor … get some rest Pete.
Weird dude. I’m well rested old guy. 😂

Reactions: Kbee3
Indiana in six days is a game we SHOULD win.

6-2 Rutgers beating an undefeated Ohio State would not rise to Pandemonium levels IMO. That game was massive because we were both ranked high and unbeaten and it was the only game on that night. None of those will be the case this season.
It should be bigger since this Ohio State team is much better than that Louisville team and the stadium is roughly 25% bigger. Beat Ohio State and Penn State and everyone else and this team would have a chance to have its best finish ever.

Luckily the players and Schiano do not think like this. We are very easily 1 or 2 Wimsatt untimely picks or a freak fumble in our own half of the field from losing to Indiana. With our passing game there is no room for error and it’s their homecoming and they think they’re better than us so the crowd will be pumped. Not an easy game by any means, the team has to prepare and focus on Indiana

Lots of tix on sale for around $20 if anyone wants to go watch in person. Think we are gonna make the trek.

It should be bigger since this Ohio State team is much better than that Louisville team and the stadium is roughly 25% bigger. Beat Ohio State and Penn State and everyone else and this team would have a chance to have its best finish ever.
Louisville was ranked 3 that week, same as Ohio State is right now. No reason to say they are "MUCH BETTER". Plus you are ignoring my other points. The game was bigger because it was HYPED because it was a showdown of two undefeated ranked teams in prime time. The Empire State Building is not likely to be lit up in Rutgers colors before the Ohio State game this year no matter what happens the next two weeks.

Your other point about us having the highest-ever season if we run the table is irrelevant to this question.

Can we worry about beating Indiana and making a bowl game before worrying about hypotheticals that will never happen?

Can we worry about beating Indiana and making a bowl game before worrying about hypotheticals that will never happen?
Some of you guys act like the team reads these boards. It’s really funny. You think Greg won’t have the team prepared on Saturday because of a RutgersAl post? Get a grip.

• Haha
Reactions: Local Shill
Louisville was ranked 3 that week, same as Ohio State is right now. No reason to say they are "MUCH BETTER". Plus you are ignoring my other points. The game was bigger because it was HYPED because it was a showdown of two undefeated ranked teams in prime time. The Empire State Building is not likely to be lit up in Rutgers colors before the Ohio State game this year no matter what happens the next two weeks.

Your other point about us having the highest-ever season if we run the table is irrelevant to this question.
Ohio State has a much stronger brand and is more popular than Louisville, and is deeper and much better capitalized.

This is why our game with them has a chance to break our records for attendance and TV viewership. The 2006 game was a matchup between two undefeated teams which played in the Minor Leagues, which is what the Big East was. The 2006 game drew 8.1 million viewers. True the 2006 game had more hype, but that was localized to this area.

Now, we are playing on a bigger stage.
We beat Ohio State, the impact will be bigger, because beating Ohio State is more meaningful than beating Louisville in 2006 in terms of recruiting and brand perception. But we must take care of business Saturday.

Indy is a toss up game on the road. If RU gets full of itself, over the MSU game, they will lose. As for OSU, RU just doesn't have the offensive fire power to give them a game. They can hang in with defense but will wear out.

Some of you guys act like the team reads these boards. It’s really funny. You think Greg won’t have the team prepared on Saturday because of a RutgersAl post? Get a grip.
Some fans get into a weird state where they think they're somehow part of the team. "We" have to focus. When the team wins they feel like part of something. When the team loses they're despondent. It's like a religion.

Really? Didn’t know that. I want a Night Game, so we can replicate Pandeminium in Piscataway.
Al, let the pandemonium in Piscataway go. Not happening against OSU. Harrison will run up and down the field like his father did when McNabb was throwing him TDs against us,

Let's try to focus- We win tomorrow and we are 6-2/bowl bound and maybe even get a vote....
OSU will be somewhere in the 2-4 range.
There would not be the same hype- 2 ranked teams- highly ranked, only game- new ESPN hype - ESB turned Scarlett...but, if we ever did find a way to pull off the craziest of upsets ever- it would trump 06 L'Ville.

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY

Ohio State has a much stronger brand and is more popular than Louisville. They are also a more talented and deeper football team than Louisville was in 2006. This is why Louisville was relegated to the Orange Bowl and played Wake Forest.

This is why our game with them has a chance to break our records for attendance and TV viewership. The 2006 game was a matchup between two undefeated teams which played in the Minor Leagues, which is what the Big East was. The 2006 game drew 8.1 million viewers.

We beat Ohio State, the impact should be bigger, because beating Ohio State is more meaningful than beating Louisville in 2006. But we must take care of business Saturday.

Indy is a toss up game on the road. If RU gets full of itself, over the MSU game, they will lose. As for OSU, RU just doesn't have the offensive fire power to give them a game. They can hang in with defense but will wear out.
I think Kyle goes off...think he's got momentum now.
It sure would be interesting if Gavin and Sam Brown bring their A game Saturday.

Reactions: RU from Jersey
Some fans get into a weird state where they think they're somehow part of the team. "We" have to focus. When the team wins they feel like part of something. When the team loses they're despondent. It's like a religion.
Or it’s an old joke on the board.

Reactions: RUChoppin
Ohio State has a much stronger brand and is more popular than Louisville. They are also a more talented and deeper football team than Louisville was in 2006. This is why Louisville was relegated to the Orange Bowl and played Wake Forest.

This is why our game with them has a chance to break our records for attendance and TV viewership. The 2006 game was a matchup between two undefeated teams which played in the Minor Leagues, which is what the Big East was. The 2006 game drew 8.1 million viewers.

We beat Ohio State, the impact should be bigger, because beating Ohio State is more meaningful than beating Louisville in 2006. But we must take care of business Saturday.
Al - you're simply wrong on the BE in 2006, as the conference was rated the 2nd best conference by Sagarin and TeamRankings in 2006, behind the SEC. It was not the "minor leagues" in performance, even though it was obviously overshadowed by the B1G in terms of reputation. A win against OSU to me would still be less than that win against Ville was, as that was a legit top 10 RU team, while even if we upset OSU, there's no way this RU team is top 10.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2008/8/26/597909/what-s-the-best-college-fo

Al - you're simply wrong on the BE in 2006, as the conference was rated the 2nd best conference by Sagarin and TeamRankings in 2006, behind the SEC. It was not the "minor leagues" in performance, even though it was obviously overshadowed by the B1G in terms of reputation. A win against OSU to me would still be less than that win against Ville was, as that was a legit top 10 RU team, while even if we upset OSU, there's no way this RU team is top 10.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2008/8/26/597909/what-s-the-best-college-fo
Strongly disagree. The metric that best illustrates the disparity is the paycheck we are taking home as a consequence of media rights. By my recollection, our media rights paycheck in 2006 was roughly $7 M. And we played Thursdays and Fridays to maximize revenue.

This year, we are going to take home a paycheck of at least $70M. Why? The product is much stronger and networks are willing to pay more for a stronger product. Money talks.
And it’s the synergy of Rutgers playing Ohio State, Rutgers playing Michigan, and Rutgers playing Penn State, which is generating this boatload of cash. Rutgers playing USF, Cincy, WV just doesn’t have the same value.

The Big East Football Conference was so great, it no longer exists, mostly because it could not generate enough revenue. The product wasn’t strong enough.

This is why Miami left. Because in a year, they won the National Championship Miami had to cut the diving team, due to lack of revenue. This is why Miami joined the ACC, so that it could ensure it’s financial security for the foreseeable future. Swofford had a plan to Maximize revenue for ACC Schools. Big East Commissioner Tranghese couldn’t care less. He was warned several times that the Big East wasn’t bringing in enough revenue and that something had to be done.

The Big East was a basketball conference, mostly dominated by basketball interests, which had a football conference as a sideshow. The basketball conference could compete with the best teams in America. The football conference could not, especially once Miami left. There wasn’t one Big East team that even sniffed the National Championship, though WV 2007 came closest.

Ironically, had the Big East invited Penn State in the early 80’s, it would have had a much better chance of succeeding as a Football Conference. But it didn’t, because basketball dominated the decision making.

An Ohio State Win doesn’t put us in the Top 10, but so what. It would still be the biggest win in our history, because we will have beaten a true National Championship contender.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT