ADVERTISEMENT

OSU Game could be Pandemonium in Piscataway Part II

Al, let the pandemonium in Piscataway go. Not happening against OSU. Harrison will run up and down the field like his father did when McNabb was throwing him TDs against us,
Not so fast. We will bracket him with Melton or Longerbeam, and one of the safeties. Those Rutgers teams could not compete because they lacked talent. This team does not.

Some fans get into a weird state where they think they're somehow part of the team. "We" have to focus. When the team wins they feel like part of something. When the team loses they're despondent. It's like a religion.
I do feel part of the team, and a part of something special. i give to the R Fund and NIL, so I have a stake in Rutgers Football’s success. You might want to join this fraternity so you can say the same.

Reactions: ScarletDave
The difference between 06 and if we somehow pull off a miracle against OSU- is that in 06- we were still a national Cinderella. Right now, we aren’t a Cinderella anymore, we have just been a doormat.
That is why 06 will always dwarf any game we play again unless it is for a championship

Yeah and I’m going to be here in my 80’s someday hopefully we’ll have 2-3 B1G titles by then and several Trips to the college football playoffs. How about you?
Pete : maybe you can hook up the guy with BTN… he hates Schiano …

I do feel part of the team, and a part of something special. i give to the R Fund and NIL, so I have a stake in Rutgers Football’s success. You might want to join this fraternity so you can say the same.
rutgersal… he hates Schiano. I think Greg back in the 90’’s stole his cookies. Maybe the board can help him get cable to watch the game on BTN?

rutgersal… he hates Schiano. I think Greg back in the 90’’s stole his cookies. Maybe the board can help him get cable to watch the game on BTN?
Al the guy is only around to knock the team and especially Greg Schiano. Save your breath .You are a true fan… there are many here. So what if we are sometimes delusional or over the top that’s what fans do.

You're not a player.

Nobody should be thinking Indiana is a push over by just by looking at their record. The 3 Big Ten loses are against
#2 Michigan
#3 Ohio State
And Maryland
And the other loss is against Louisville. We would very likely have the same record as them if that was our schedule

Not so fast. We will bracket him with Melton or Longerbeam, and one of the safeties. Those Rutgers teams could not compete because they lacked talent. This team does not.
I know he was hurt this week, but if you do that what about Egbuka? He's not as good as Harrison, but he may be the best received we face other than Harrison.

You're not a player.

Donors are the most important team members because they are a stakeholders. Without their support, success is unobtainable. Michigan reminds everyone of this when the team enters, and touches their banner.

Banner+with+Band+Photo.JPG

Strongly disagree. The metric that best illustrates the disparity is the paycheck we are taking home as a consequence of media rights. By my recollection, our media rights paycheck in 2006 was roughly $7 M. And we played Thursdays and Fridays to maximize revenue.

This year, we are going to take home a paycheck of at least $70M. Why? The product is much stronger and networks are willing to pay more for a stronger product. Money talks.
And it’s the synergy of Rutgers playing Ohio State, Rutgers playing Michigan, and Rutgers playing Penn State, which is generating this boatload of cash. Rutgers playing USF, Cincy, WV just doesn’t have the same value.

The Big East Football Conference was so great, it no longer exists, mostly because it could not generate enough revenue. The product wasn’t strong enough.

This is why Miami left. Because in a year, they won the National Championship Miami had to cut the diving team, due to lack of revenue. This is why Miami joined the ACC, so that it could ensure it’s financial security for the foreseeable future. Swofford had a plan to Maximize revenue for ACC Schools. Big East Commissioner Tranghese couldn’t care less. He was warned several times that the Big East wasn’t bringing in enough revenue and that something had to be done.

The Big East was a basketball conference, mostly dominated by basketball interests, which had a football conference as a sideshow. The basketball conference could compete with the best teams in America. The football conference could not, especially once Miami left. There wasn’t one Big East team that even sniffed the National Championship, though WV 2007 came closest.

Ironically, had the Big East invited Penn State in the early 80’s, it would have had a much better chance of succeeding as a Football Conference. But it didn’t, because basketball dominated the decision making.

An Ohio State Win doesn’t put us in the Top 10, but so what. It would still be the biggest win in our history, because we will have beaten a true National Championship contender.
You're missing the point, completely. You were talking about the BE in 2006 being the "minor leagues" and not having top talent, which is ludicrous, as the BE was the 2nd best conference by the unbiased computers that year, ahead of the B1G. I'm not arguing that the BE was a more prestigious or successful conference in any way - I'm strictly arguing about the qualilty of the football relative to its peers back then and now, where the B1G is similarly rated 2nd or 3rd typically (the B1G East is currently rated #2 by Sagarin) as it was back in 2006, when the BE was ahead of it.

Reactions: Local Shill
You're missing the point, completely. You were talking about the BE in 2006 being the "minor leagues" and not having top talent, which is ludicrous, as the BE was the 2nd best conference by the unbiased computers that year, ahead of the B1G. I'm not arguing that the BE was a more prestigious or successful conference in any way - I'm strictly arguing about the qualilty of the football relative to its peers back then and now, where the B1G is similarly rated 2nd or 3rd typically (the B1G East is currently rated #2 by Sagarin) as it was back in 2006, when the BE was ahead of it.
While the Big East did have top talents, the teams lacked the depth of Big Ten and SEC schools. Rutgers in particular, got very lucky that Ray Rice was injury free throughout his career. Especially because we lacked a similar caliber player to replace him.

Knowing what we know today, I think 2006 Rutgers, WV, and UL likely lose to Ohio State, Michigan, and Wisconsin, had we played them that year.

Reactions: RUBOB72
Donors are the most important team members because they are a stakeholders. Without their support, success is unobtainable. Michigan reminds everyone of this when the team enters, and touches their banner.

Banner+with+Band+Photo.JPG

But...you don't have to focus on the next game or anything because you're not a player.

We have never once played Ohio State remotely close. Michigan is a different story.
Styles make fights. Schiano's defenses historically have struggled against spread to run / zone read teams. Ohio State adds an explosive passing game to that most years. Michigan is somewhat more traditional, and that's the kind of offense Schiano's defenses are designed to stop.

While the Big East did have top talents, the teams lacked the depth of Big Ten and SEC schools. Rutgers in particular, got very lucky that Ray Rice was injury free throughout his career. Especially because we lacked a similar caliber player to replace him.

Knowing what we know today, I think 2006 Rutgers, WV, and UL likely lose to Ohio State, Michigan, and Wisconsin, had we played them that year.
Based on what? Certainly not the bowl games, where #1 (at the time) OSU got destroyed by #2 Florida, 42-14 and #3 UM got beaten soundly by #8 USC, 32-18, while #6 WI squeaked by #12 Arkansas by 17-14. In comparison, #5 Louisville soundly defeated #15 WF 24-13, while WV beat GT 38-35 and we all know RU destroyed KSU 37-10. Sure, the BE bowl opponents were weaker, but that wasn't the fault of those teams. I think all of those games would've been close if they had been played.

The difference between 06 and if we somehow pull off a miracle against OSU- is that in 06- we were still a national Cinderella. Right now, we aren’t a Cinderella anymore, we have just been a doormat.
That is why 06 will always dwarf any game we play again unless it is for a championship
BS we beat tOSU we are on our way to National conversation......

Based on what? Certainly not the bowl games, where #1 (at the time) OSU got destroyed by #2 Florida, 42-14 and #3 UM got beaten soundly by #8 USC, 32-18, while #6 WI squeaked by #12 Arkansas by 17-14. In comparison, #5 Louisville soundly defeated #15 WF 24-13, while WV beat GT 38-35 and we all know RU destroyed KSU 37-10. Sure, the BE bowl opponents were weaker, but that wasn't the fault of those teams. I think all of those games would've been close if they had been played.
Come in numbers. Let’s get real.
I firmly believe that our 2006 team, along with WVU and Louisville, would have had a 50/50 chance to beat Michigan or Ohio State if a game was played.

But, if any of our teens had to play a full B1G schedule in 2006, we all would have had multiple losses. None of the 3 Big East teams were built to withstand the grind that is the B1G.

Come in numbers. Let’s get real.
I firmly believe that our 2006 team, along with WVU and Louisville, would have had a 50/50 chance to beat Michigan or Ohio State if a game was played.

But, if any of our teens had to play a full B1G schedule in 2006, we all would have had multiple losses. None of the 3 Big East teams were built to withstand the grind that is the B1G.

2006 Big Ten wasn't one of their especially strong years.

They had OSU, Michigan, and Wisconsin.... the other 8 were all beatable. And there's no saying we'd have had to face all three of them. OSU would have been a very tough game to win. I think our defense matched up fairly well that year with Wisconsin and Michigan, though.

We finished 2006 at 10-2 before the bowl game.... I think that squad could have finished 9-3 or 10-2 against the 2006 B1G.

Reactions: RU848789
2006 Big Ten wasn't one of their especially strong years.

They had OSU, Michigan, and Wisconsin.... the other 8 were all beatable. And there's no saying we'd have had to face all three of them. OSU would have been a very tough game to win. I think our defense matched up fairly well that year with Wisconsin and Michigan, though.

We finished 2006 at 10-2 before the bowl game.... I think that squad could have finished 9-3 or 10-2 against the 2006 B1G.
Agreed.

Do we have direct evidence on what would have happened? No. But Michigan, Ohio State, and Florida had a lot more draft picks than the ACC and Big East schools. ACC and Big East teams were comparable. The Big Ten and SEC were a notch above, imo.
USC is a blue blood, which always has a ton of talent.

Our 2014 team, which would have challenged for the Big East/American Conference Championship, was beaten up by Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Nebraska.

Based on what we’ve seen the past 9 years, it’s Not enough to have good frontline talent in the Big Ten, you also need depth. We are building a team that not only has good frontline talent but adequate reserves to withstand injuries.

Do we have direct evidence on what would have happened? No. But Michigan, Ohio State, and Florida had a lot more draft picks than the ACC and Big East schools. ACC and Big East teams were comparable. The Big Ten and SEC were a notch above, imo.
USC is a blue blood, which always has a ton of talent.

Our 2014 team, which would have challenged for the Big East/American Conference Championship, was beaten up by Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Nebraska.

Based on what we’ve seen the past 9 years, it’s Not enough to have good frontline talent in the Big Ten, you also need depth. We are building a team that not only has good frontline talent but adequate reserves to withstand injuries.
The depth is really the key...great point of reference- 2006 Rutgers vs 2007 Rutgers

in 2006- we stayed almost completely injury free and even had some freshmen that were D1 capable.
in 2007- rash of injuries, mostly on defense without enough depth to back them up. We had an offense that could compete with anyone but the lack of depth on defense killed us.

Reactions: rutgersal

Draft picks by team in the B1G that year:
8 - OSU
7 - Michigan
5 - PSU
3 - MSU
3 - Purdue
3 - Iowa
1 - Wisconsin
1 - Minnesota
1 - Illinois
0 - Indiana
0 - Northwestern

Draft picks by the BE that year:
4 - Louisville
3 - Pittsburgh
3 - Rutgers
2 - Cincinnati
2 - Syracuse
1 - UConn
1 - USF
0 - WVU

Other than OSU/Michigan, there wasn't such a huge leap. And Wisconsin finished 7-1 in conference with just 1 draft pick that year.

Adding in draft picks for the following year:
13 - Michigan
11 - OSU
9 - Louisville
7 - PSU
6 - Pittsburgh, Purdue, Iowa
5 - Rutgers, Wisconsin
4 - Cincy
3 - WVU, UConn, USF
2 - Indiana, Minnesota, Illinois
0 - Northwestern

Again, Michigan/OSU had more drafted players overall, with Louisville just behind.... but no other teams really stood that much above the Big East in those couple of years.

Draft picks by team in the B1G that year:
8 - OSU
7 - Michigan
5 - PSU
3 - MSU
3 - Purdue
3 - Iowa
1 - Wisconsin
1 - Minnesota
1 - Illinois
0 - Indiana
0 - Northwestern

Draft picks by the BE that year:
4 - Louisville
3 - Pittsburgh
3 - Rutgers
2 - Cincinnati
2 - Syracuse
1 - UConn
1 - USF
0 - WVU

Other than OSU/Michigan, there wasn't such a huge leap. And Wisconsin finished 7-1 in conference with just 1 draft pick that year.

Adding in draft picks for the following year:
13 - Michigan
11 - OSU
9 - Louisville
7 - PSU
6 - Pittsburgh, Purdue, Iowa
5 - Rutgers, Wisconsin
4 - Cincy
3 - WVU, UConn, USF
2 - Indiana, Minnesota, Illinois
0 - Northwestern

Again, Michigan/OSU had more drafted players overall, with Louisville just behind.... but no other teams really stood that much above the Big East in those couple of years.
you have to go even further- as depth players as well as really good players on lessor known teams become UFA's and camp players-

you have to go even further- as depth players as well as really good players on lessor known teams become UFA's and camp players-

Oh, sure - there's a lot more to it than that, just using the example he provided. WVU and Wisconsin were clearly more than just their drafted players in those years.

But the top of the 2006 Big East would have been very competitive in the 2006 Big Ten. The conference schedule would be just 8 of the 11 teams, so there's a good chance that (at least) one of OSU/Michigan/Wisconsin would have been avoided.

Massey even had the Big East a hair above the Big Ten in the conference rankings for that year. https://masseyratings.com/cf2006/fbs/ratings?c=1

Reactions: yesrutgers01
I thought Pandemonium in Piscataway Part II was 2007 USF. Wouldn’t this be Part 3?

Oh, sure - there's a lot more to it than that, just using the example he provided. WVU and Wisconsin were clearly more than just their drafted players in those years.

But the top of the 2006 Big East would have been very competitive in the 2006 Big Ten. The conference schedule would be just 8 of the 11 teams, so there's a good chance that (at least) one of OSU/Michigan/Wisconsin would have been avoided.

Massey even had the Big East a hair above the Big Ten in the conference rankings for that year. https://masseyratings.com/cf2006/fbs/ratings?c=1
This is correct. A lot of the BE teams such as WVU were also just built to be great college teams as opposed to NFL- Pat White ran for almost as many yards as passed and ran for more TD's. Slaton had 1700 yds and you had White tat ran for 1200 yds as a QB the following year- White ran for 1300 and J Brown another 300 as QB's- it didnt translate to the NFL but it was a deadly College team

Reactions: RUChoppin
Praying for 3:30 pm or 7:30 pm. If that happens I’m Getting a pig for my tailgate.
If we win against Indiana … correction … when we win saturday against Indiana I can’t see us not playing in the evening especially if Ohio State is undefeated still.

If we win against Indiana … correction … when we win saturday against Indiana I can’t see us not playing in the evening especially if Ohio State is undefeated still.
I could be wrong, but I don’t think there are any evening TV slots still available for the B1G.

Hoping for 3:30 over another nooner.

If we win and OSU is undefeated, it’s more likely we’re noon than the evening. Again, the biggest BIG games are typically noon

3:30 is much preferable
I take it back. We could get the 7:30 NBC slot. Who knows?

Per MattSarz's website the 11/4 open windows (that are in the BTN media deal) as of today are:
In alphabetical order

Noon & 3:30 on BTN
Noon on CBS
Noon and 3:30 on Fox
Noon on FS1
7:30 on NBC
3:30 on Peacock

Getting on the national CBS noon kickoff wouldn't be better than 3:30 on FS1 or BTN coverage? 3:30 may be better for tailgating and getting the crowd in the stadium, but the national audience is special. Seems clear to me the two best slots are that CBS nooner or NBC at 730.

Getting on the national CBS noon kickoff wouldn't be better than 3:30 on FS1 or BTN coverage? 3:30 may be better for tailgating and getting the crowd in the stadium, but the national audience is special. Seems clear to me the two best slots are that CBS nooner or NBC at 730.
3:30 FOX > any noon slot

Reactions: RUBOB72
The thing that sucks that on some of these channels, you can't DVR on their steaming productions. If it is BTN or FS1 - I can DVR to watch in more detail later.

I take it back. We could get the 7:30 NBC slot. Who knows?

Per MattSarz's website the 11/4 open windows (that are in the BTN media deal) as of today are:
In alphabetical order

Noon & 3:30 on BTN
Noon on CBS
Noon and 3:30 on Fox
Noon on FS1
7:30 on NBC
3:30 on Peacock
What wouldn’t be a better time slot than 7:30 PM NBC. Should we expect that ? ….no it’s unlikely . We just want to win Saturday and get another W .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT