ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Giants Season Thread

Yeah and all of 15 TDs. His INTs were limited because he was captain checkdown since Daboll limited the offense to use his strength of short passes and running the ball. Once good Ds adjusted to that in the 22 season we saw how bad he would play like the eagles playoff game.

So D's didn't adjust all season, including our first playoff game, until Philly? Then it was a matter of adjustment? Doesn't add up. Philly was an excellent team playing an OK team.

Daboll knew he couldn't win that way so he opened the offense up last year and Jones was terrible. Yes some of that is the OL but he also makes the OL look worse than it is because of his slow decision making as he doesn't read the field fast enough. Teams knew he would be a 1 read QB and take away the run and poof he was back to being below average from the at best average he was in 22. Go look at quotes from some of the DBs last year and the best play that encapsulates that was his pass in Seattle that went for a pick 6 as we were going for a TD.
How did Daboll know he couldn't win that way when he won that way the previous season? Again doesn't add up.

Yes he did want to open things up offensively, there is higher upside to doing so, and he wouldn't have done so if he didn't think Jones was capable of doing more, but in doing so it also exposed an O-line that went from bad to terrible when Thomas hurt himself on the first drive of the season.

Was Jones at all good last year? Aside from the comeback vs the Cards, No. Wanted to get that in before the rebuttal.
Yes the OL played well yesterday and will be better and we have Nabers now. I think we're still going to see the same exact Jones we've seen for 6 years. The most mediocre to below average QB to ever have this long of a leash. Hope I'm wrong but at point it's on the $40 million QB to show he's worth even 50% of that contract.
You say this as if his career has been a monolith, which it hasn't.

Bottom line for me is, he is our QB this season. I'm going to root for him and the team. Hope he can build off 2022. Being bad to start the first preseason game of his comeback from injury is not a big deal. If he's not good this year, or if he get's hurt, then we move on, I acknowledge that is a real possibility, but it's definitely not the only possibility.

That's cute. How did last season and 2021 go? :)
Injuries have been a concern. Even if he is good this season, if he misses a bunch of games due to injury, we likely move on.

But, as you well know Mel, past results do not guarantee future performance.

Injuries have been a concern. Even if he is good this season, if he misses a bunch of games due to injury, we likely move on.

But, as you well know Mel, past results do not guarantee future performance.
I'm not going to S on management for the DJ contract. 2022 was a good year and the contract was modest for QBs today. But 2024 needs to be at minimum 2022 to keep him any longer (health and performance).

I'm not going to S on management for the DJ contract. 2022 was a good year and the contract was modest for QBs today. But 2024 needs to be at minimum 2022 to keep him any longer (health and performance).
I'd say it probably needs to be better, but if he and the team have a similar season it will be difficult to add an upgrade.

I don't really know the in's and out's of NFL contracts but I do wonder if a restructuring would be on the table if he has a 2022ish season.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
So D's didn't adjust all season, including our first playoff game, until Philly? Then it was a matter of adjustment? Doesn't add up. Philly was an excellent team playing an OK team.

How did Daboll know he couldn't win that way when he won that way the previous season? Again doesn't add up.

Yes he did want to open things up offensively, there is higher upside to doing so, and he wouldn't have done so if he didn't think Jones was capable of doing more, but in doing so it also exposed an O-line that went from bad to terrible when Thomas hurt himself on the first drive of the season.

Was Jones at all good last year? Aside from the comeback vs the Cards, No. Wanted to get that in before the rebuttal.

You say this as if his career has been a monolith, which it hasn't.

Bottom line for me is, he is our QB this season. I'm going to root for him and the team. Hope he can build off 2022. Being bad to start the first preseason game of his comeback from injury is not a big deal. If he's not good this year, or if he get's hurt, then we move on, I acknowledge that is a real possibility, but it's definitely not the only possibility.
Yes if you look at Jones 22 season second half his numbers fall apart. He played well against the Vikings D twice but they were one of the worst in the NFL. Mac Jones has his best game of the year against them and he's awful. Against other good teams he wasnt good. I'm not pulling it up but I believe it was the first game against the Eagles that year where we got shellacked that showed other teams how to play against the Jones/Barkley offense. After that game the offense wasn't very good unless they played against a bad D. You're still making it sound like Jones was great that year when he threw only 15 TDs total! That's nothing in the modern NFL passing game.

Daboll knew he couldn't go into 23 playing the same offense because he saw the same things I'm talking about.

And bottom line for me is I'm still going to root for the Giants but I can already see how this goes. At best we get a WC spot and I highly doubt that will happen. The organization is stuck in the mud with Jones as QB. The problem is if he's mediocre again it's very possible they bring him back for a 7th year and we'll be having the same exact conversations.

Anyways fun convo on a Sunday morning! Think we both made our points and ultimately we both want the Giants to win but you're just being more optimistic than I am for this upcoming season. I'll still watch every game regardless.

I'd say it probably needs to be better, but if he and the team have a similar season it will be difficult to add an upgrade.

I don't really know the in's and out's of NFL contracts but I do wonder if a restructuring would be on the table if he has a 2022ish season.
I wanted to end the convo but that would be an awesome idea. He needs to get off the team. Another 22 season is QB hell. Now I'm done haha.

Yes if you look at Jones 22 season second half his numbers fall apart. He played well against the Vikings D twice but they were one of the worst in the NFL. Mac Jones has his best game of the year against them and he's awful. Against other good teams he wasnt good. I'm not pulling it up but I believe it was the first game against the Eagles that year where we got shellacked that showed other teams how to play against the Jones/Barkley offense. After that game the offense wasn't very good unless they played against a bad D. You're still making it sound like Jones was great that year when he threw only 15 TDs total! That's nothing in the modern NFL passing game.

Daboll knew he couldn't go into 23 playing the same offense because he saw the same things I'm talking about.

And bottom line for me is I'm still going to root for the Giants but I can already see how this goes. At best we get a WC spot and I highly doubt that will happen. The organization is stuck in the mud with Jones as QB. The problem is if he's mediocre again it's very possible they bring him back for a 7th year and we'll be having the same exact conversations.

Anyways fun convo on a Sunday morning! Think we both made our points and ultimately we both want the Giants to win but you're just being more optimistic than I am for this upcoming season. I'll still watch every game regardless.
9-3 td-in in the 2nd half of 2022.

6-1 the final 6 games of 2022.

3-1 after the Philly game(+2 rushing TD's) in which the team went 2-1.

False narrative.

Last edited:
Top 2 receivers at the end of 2022?

Richie James and Isiah Hodgins.

I like Hodgins, but he might be our 5th receiver this year. If he even makes the team.

James went on to have a 10 catch season last year in KC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT