ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

Perfect game blown the second I turned on 🤦‍♂️
Are you usually a jinx, or shall we blame me? I had the game on for a bit, but got bored and tuned into one of the 12 channels running the MTV Video Music awards. I was totally unaware of the perfect game. Oh no, now it's 5-2.

Are you usually a jinx, or shall we blame me? I had the game on for a bit, but got bored and tuned into one of the 12 channels running the MTV Video Music awards. I was totally unaware of the perfect game. Oh no, now it's 5-2.
With no hitters, etc. yes. Borderline like clockwork. Sad

Reactions: Knight Shift
Obsessed Stalker - you are so f’d up in your head that after a potentially season saving amazing win - I’m the first thing you think of and have to post for all 10 people to read? Lol

Oh lord !

Whatever problems you have - get a life / see a shrink / buy yourself a blowup doll !
Yea I'm definitely the not normal one here

And my original point stands. Guy said he couldn't stand Stearns like 2 weeks into the season because he didn't pay Alonso a super big deal. Season was over a month into the season according to him. I could go on and on and on and on about how wrong and obnoxious he is bro.

The team has been getting off the mat all year.
Who here didn't think this season was over in June?

But whatever, I'm a fan, you're not, I don't need to get into it beyond that.

Current status: With 16 to play, Mets lead Braves by 1, trail D-Backs by 2, and trail Padres by 1.5. All four teams are off today.

Both the Mets and Braves have 10 games before they face each other in the penultimate series of the season. Mets have 3 @ Phils, 3 vs. Nats, 4 vs. Phils. Braves have 4 vs. Dodgers, 3 @ Reds, 3 @ Marlins.

In those ten games, IMO the Mets have a two game cushion, thanks to the tiebreaker. If they enter the Braves series one game down (they are currently one game up), they would still be in OK shape. They'd need to win that series to be tied with the Braves, and would have the tiebreaker. Whoever wins the series wins the tiebreaker.

Both teams close with difficult opponents: Mets @ Brewers, Braves vs. Royals.

It's likely that the Mets-Braves series will be decisive - winner in, loser out.

Reactions: gmay8 and RU-05
Current status: With 16 to play, Mets lead Braves by 1, trail D-Backs by 2, and trail Padres by 1.5. All four teams are off today.

Both the Mets and Braves have 10 games before they face each other in the penultimate series of the season. Mets have 3 @ Phils, 3 vs. Nats, 4 vs. Phils. Braves have 4 vs. Dodgers, 3 @ Reds, 3 @ Marlins.

In those ten games, IMO the Mets have a two game cushion, thanks to the tiebreaker. If they enter the Braves series one game down (they are currently one game up), they would still be in OK shape. They'd need to win that series to be tied with the Braves, and would have the tiebreaker. Whoever wins the series wins the tiebreaker.

Both teams close with difficult opponents: Mets @ Brewers, Braves vs. Royals.

It's likely that the Mets-Braves series will be decisive - winner in, loser out.

The D-Backs also play the Padres for 3 games towards the end of the season. A sweep by one team or the other would be very helpful, as one of the teams will definitely get in, so the other losing 3 would be great.

Mets need to take 2 of 3 every series and split 4 game with Philly. That would give them a 10-6 finish.
I think 8-8 might do it, as long as we win the Braves series.

Under that scenario, the Braves would need to go 10-6. Assuming they lose the Mets series, they'd need to go 9-4 in the other 13 games. I don't think they will.

Under that scenario, the Braves would need to go 10-6. Assuming they lose the Mets series, they'd need to go 9-4 in the other 13 games. I don't think they will.
I was looking at as what would put them safely in. Less than that while definitely possible puts your fate in the hand of the other teams.

Good discussion the last few posts. Still plenty of ball left, but the team that takes 2 of 3 in Atlanta is likely going to get in. I guess there is still a chance the DBacks or Padres could collapse. Would be nice to see one of those teams on the outside looking in.

Edit: Misunderstood.

Ya sure, I definitely remember a lot of optimistic Met fans back in early June.
There's a big difference between starry-eyed optimism and an understanding that half or more of the season remained and that there's a meaningful chance that the team can perform better. Throw in all the wild card teams that get in now, and there were reasons to think that the Mets would be in the race. I wouldn't even call it optimism. I'd call it not being reactionary. And there are a good number of reactionary posters in this thread, which is why ignore makes the thread more enjoyable. Things looked bad in May, a bit less so as June moved forward, and throwing in your fan towel in June was reactionary.

There's a big difference between starry-eyed optimism and an understanding that half or more of the season remained and that there's a meaningful chance that the team can perform better. Throw in all the wild card teams that get in now, and there were reasons to think that the Mets would be in the race. I wouldn't even call it optimism. I'd call it not being reactionary. And there are a good number of reactionary posters in this thread, which is why ignore makes the thread more enjoyable. Things looked bad in May, a bit less so as June moved forward, and throwing in your fan towel in June was reactionary.
Cases in point:

Until July 19, the Padres were floating a game or two above or below 0.500. Then they went on a 16-2 tear.
On May 31, the Diamondbacks were 25-32, 7 games under 0.500.

Now the teams that some fans may have concluded were "out of the race" are all in the hunt for a wild card spot.

Reactions: willisneverrana43
I wonder how close some Mets haters were to posting the usual crap if Lindor didn't get that MVP HR and lead the team to victory. I can picture a certain someone with his hand hovering over the enter button, lmfao!!!

Would love to find a way to 11-12 wins and have a real shot at the top WC spot. 13-3 may even put a scare into the Phils- as that most likely means we took 5 or 6 from them lol

Can only dream.

Bottomline- just get into the playoffs

This post is OT but I am sure some will appreciate it. Has to do with last night's Oakland - Houston game. Goes into extra innings tied 1-1. Neither team scores in the 10th and 11th, despite having the free runner.

So in the top of the 12th, Oakland resorts to a play than no one has seen in awhile, but is still legally on the books. It is called a bunt. THREE STRAIGHT BUNTS! Produced two runs as Houston botched a couple of them. Oakland wins 3-2.

That is what old school baseball is all about. Putting pressure on the defense. Sometimes it works out.

Would love to find a way to 11-12 wins and have a real shot at the top WC spot. 13-3 may even put a scare into the Phils- as that most likely means we took 5 or 6 from them lol

Can only dream.

Bottomline- just get into the playoffs
Remember last year, the Diamondbacks in the 3d WC spot made it all the way to the World Series

This post is OT but I am sure some will appreciate it. Has to do with last night's Oakland - Houston game. Goes into extra innings tied 1-1. Neither team scores in the 10th and 11th, despite having the free runner.

So in the top of the 12th, Oakland resorts to a play than no one has seen in awhile, but is still legally on the books. It is called a bunt. THREE STRAIGHT BUNTS! Produced two runs as Houston botched a couple of them. Oakland wins 3-2.

That is what old school baseball is all about. Putting pressure on the defense. Sometimes it works out.
I coached a lot of tournament level up to the national level for softball. This was a standard tournament rule. If we were visitors, depending where we were in lineup we immediately bunted runner to third. If our best hitter was up we didn’t but most others yes. If we were in the bottom of the inning still tied we would walk first batter. That run means nothing to offense and put force back in play. If 8 or 9 hitter up we may have pitched to them.

It required starry-eyed optimism though to expect the Mets who looked so terrible in May to go on to have the best record in the league(I think that's the case) from that point on into Sept.

Was it possible? Sure, we as sports fans have seen teams look bad and then go on runs, but to go from lousy to best in the league is not common.

Now did fans go overboard in their negativity ? Sure, but emotion is a big part of the fan experience. We literally couldn't love sports if it wasn't.

Last edited:
Lots of potential for rain in the Atlanta area the next four days, which could affect their series with the Dodgers.

Mets catch a break with missing Zach Wheeler's turn in the rotation this weekend. If the Phils start him every 5th time out, he'd be the starter in the Sunday game on the 22nd.

The Brewers likely have nothing to play for in their last three games, so they could be resting guys and setting the rotation for the postseason rather than going all-out to beat the Mets those games. That could be a small edge, too.

I coached a lot of tournament level up to the national level for softball. This was a standard tournament rule. If we were visitors, depending where we were in lineup we immediately bunted runner to third. If our best hitter was up we didn’t but most others yes. If we were in the bottom of the inning still tied we would walk first batter. That run means nothing to offense and put force back in play. If 8 or 9 hitter up we may have pitched to them.
Interesting. As we know, in MLB it is extremely rare for the visiting team to sacrifice in extra innings. The prevailing wisdom (with which I agree) is that the visiting team has to play for two runs.

Only part worth watching as a Mets fan was the 9th and I watched that on the SNY replay which started around 8:30. They got to the 9th around 11 so I tuned back in then.
I track the score on MLB app. If bad news, I stay clear. Turned on for first time at 1-1 in 9th - next X minutes were quite enjoyable. 😎

Reactions: RUforJERSEY
Lots of potential for rain in the Atlanta area the next four days, which could affect their series with the Dodgers.

Mets catch a break with missing Zach Wheeler's turn in the rotation this weekend. If the Phils start him every 5th time out, he'd be the starter in the Sunday game on the 22nd.

The Brewers likely have nothing to play for in their last three games, so they could be resting guys and setting the rotation for the postseason rather than going all-out to beat the Mets those games. That could be a small edge, too.
Come rain or come shine the games must go on. On a day like today where it was basically just intermittent showers they would have been fine. Have to see if the weekend brings something more intense. They may have to play after midnight. They may have to play a doubleheader. But they have to play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT