ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

Come rain or come shine the games must go on. On a day like today where it was basically just intermittent showers they would have been fine. Have to see if the weekend brings something more intense. They may have to play after midnight. They may have to play a doubleheader. But they have to play.
The Braves and Dodgers do have a common off day on Monday September 23. However, I am sure the Dodgers will not be thrilled with playing in LA on Sunday, flying cross country to Atlanta (and losing three hours), playing the Braves on Monday, and then flying back to LA for a game on Tuesday. I suspect that the Dodgers would be mailing that one in.

It required starry-eyed optimism though to expect the Mets who looked so terrible in May to go on to have the best record in the league(I think that's the case) from that point on into Sept.

Was it possible? Sure, we as sports fans have seen teams look bad and then go on runs, but to go from lousy to best in the league is not common.

Now did fans go overboard in their negativity ? Sure, but emotion is a big part of the fan experience. We literally couldn't love sports if it wasn't.
Sure, but you’ve now completely changed the discussion from giving up on the team in June to expecting in June that the team would go on to have the best record in baseball from that point forward. Very different discussions.

What’s more interesting is how red hot other teams have also gotten since then, like the Pods and D-Backs.

Last edited:
Sure, but you’ve now completely changed the discussion from giving up on the team in June to expecting in June that the team would go on to have the best record in baseball from that point forward. Very different discussions.

What’s more interesting is how red hot other teams have also gotten since then, like the Pods and D-Backs.
Its the same discussion given it required that run to get back in the playoff mix.

How excited about this season would people be if the Mets were 10 games over .500 since June 1, and were battling not to end the season under .500 overall?

End if the day, if a team is playing lousy its not odd for fans to express negativity about it.

I know they will do what they can to play the Braves-Dodgers games. I'm just saying that rain could lead to long delays, meaning more reliance on bullpens, or a doubleheader - which also can mess with pitching.

Its the same discussion given it required that run to get back in the playoff mix.

How excited about this season would people be if the Mets were 10 games over .500 since June 1, and were battling not to end the season under .500 overall?

End if the day, if a team is playing lousy its not odd for fans to express negativity about it.
With all due respect, that’s nonsense. That other teams thereafter had surprising runs that made the road more difficult than expected doesn’t affect the early bail-out by the way-too-many reactionary fans on here.

The discussions back then were between the reactionaries who thought that the Mets sucked and those who thought that it was a team that could perform at .500 or a bit higher or lower.

The reactionaries were way off, bailed early, but are welcom back. The non-reactionaries were generally correct and are mildly surprised that the Mets, for now, are performing a bit better than that and that other teams have made the wild card race tougher than expected.

I’m not sure which group you’re in, but maybe those in the reactionary group can learn a lesson (they won’t).

I know they will do what they can to play the Braves-Dodgers games. I'm just saying that rain could lead to long delays, meaning more reliance on bullpens, or a doubleheader - which also can mess with pitching.
Which wouldn't be bad for us as Mets fans. For example if the game starts tonight with Sale pitching 3-4 innings. Then a lengthy delay were to come and result in them needing to go bullpen once the game continues. While also losing him for the remainder of the series. With that said next to nothing in the way of rain so far today where I'm located at work. South near the airport.

Which wouldn't be bad for us as Mets fans. For example if the game starts tonight with Sale pitching 3-4 innings. Then a lengthy delay were to come and result in them needing to go bullpen once the game continues. While also losing him for the remainder of the series. With that said next to nothing in the way of rain so far today where I'm located at work. South near the airport.
I live and work closer to the stadium and it looks too be dry all evening.

In his pregame interview, Mendoza confirmed that Dedniel Nunez is out for the season.

Pablo Reyes has cleared waivers and has reported to Syracuse. Since he never left the organization, he is still postseason eligible. Whereas Eddy Alvarez is not.

Wow, a Phillies fan caught Nimmo's HR and despite pleas from the crowd to throw the ball back he instead handed it to a young Mets fan. I tip my hat to a good dude!

Last edited:
Reactions: AntiG and Wagram97
Lindor left the game, it looked like he might have tweaked something on that play at second base.

P

o

Yes worrisome - but he’ll be out there tomorrow. Give him a cortisone shot
🤞Let’s hope !

Not near a tv but Lindor never wants to be out of a game.

Did Mendoza force him out of game for precautionary purposes or did it seem like he needed to be taken out of game?

I hear lower back and I get nervous about a pulled muscle or even the oblique.

🤞Let’s hope !

Not near a tv but Lindor never wants to be out of a game.

Did Mendoza force him out of game for precautionary purposes or did it seem like he needed to be taken out of game?

I hear lower back and I get nervous about a pulled muscle or even the oblique.
It was 7-0. Probably tweaked it and precautionary. There isn’t any way in hell Lindor is missing a game.

Reactions: BigEastPhil
Mike Mayer of Metsmerized Online is reporting that the Mets are calling up Luisangel Acuna. He did not play for Syracuse tonight.

If true, best case is that the Mets have seen enough of Eddy Alvarez, who is ineligible for the postseason anyway.

I decline to contemplate worst case.

One thing I’ve learned over the years with injury reports with the Mets is to not put much emphasis upon what they say

As recently as last week, we were told that McNeil was day to day and he’s now gone for the year with a broken wrist.

That being said, I sincerely hope the Acuna move is due to providing infield depth in the event Lindor misses some games or has to DH given only Iglesias and Alvarez are active as middle infielders

Acuna was out of Syracuse lineup tonight but the move still makes me quite nervous.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT