ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

ben giroux close call GIF

1 game up on Braves
1 in back of Dbacks

Reactions: BigEastPhil
He didn’t get the win but all the credit to Megill tonjght who was awesome.

He recovered from a shaky 1st inning and pitched great!

Mets bats need to get going. Everyone now looks lost at the plate !

Offense in last 2 games has been lacking against mediocre pitching.

Reactions: Knight Shift
So I guess this guy is a middle infield backup? What’s the lowdown on him?
Eddy Alvarez' primary claim to fame is that he has a silver medal in speed skating in the 2014 Olympics. To my knowledge, the only other MLB player with an Olympic medal in a sport other than baseball, is Jim Thorpe. Pretty good company.

That aside, he is a 34 year old journeyman who has had cups of coffee, of various sizes, in 2020 and 2021 with the Marlins, and 2022 with the Dodgers. In 2022 he hit .316. Problem is, that wasn't his BA, it was his OPS. That translates to an OPS+ of -12, which I guess is equivalent to an OPS- of +12?

Why Alvarez over Reyes? Two reasons, I think:

1) He is more versatile, can play IF and OF.
2) He bats lefty, replaces McNeil in that sense.

He didn’t get the win but all the credit to Megill tonjght who was awesome.

He recovered from a shaky 1st inning and pitched great!

Mets bats need to get going. Everyone now looks lost at the plate !

Offense in last 2 games has been lacking against mediocre pitching.
Somebody has to hit. Too much pressure on the pitchers (who have been rock solid) because we can't score even when teams are throwing bullpens games or fill-ins multiple times of late. Would love to have like a 2 game lead over Atlanta going into the weekend when we play the Philths while they host the Dodgers for 3. And maybe be even with the other WC contenders

They had him listed at 21 and yes- he needs to be more selective. A lot of players don’t get into the league until 24 so I see him as someone that has tools and can improve.
He is not immediate help.
It's more than selectiveness. He doesn't have much that stands out. His OPS in AAA is weak so far, and for his minor league career its near the MLB average. He has speed, but he gets thrown out stealing more than you'd want. I'm not sure of his defense. But he doesn't look like the top prospect that we'd hoped for. Of course, he can improve, but he's been in the minors since 2019. I hope we didn't get Ozzie Canseco.

The problem with signing 16 year old Latinos, as opposed to 22 year old college players, is that the clock starts so early. By age 21 you have to decide whether you want to protect them on your 40 man, as the Braves did with Acuna, a status which the Mets inherited. Then you get three option years. Acuna is on his second.

If we win tonight...I am going to make a crazy prediction- we end up with same record as the Yankees and end up only 3 out of the Phils.

A couple of pre-game factoids:

* Blackburn will remain on the IL through the weekend. Megill will get another start, probably Sunday in Philly.

* Sproat's season is done. He has been placed in the AAA development list, meaning he will continue to work out with the team, but he is off the active roster. I guess they think he's thrown enough innings for the year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT