ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

ron burgundy GIF

Reactions: Doctor Worm
They've given us fans a really fun season. Let's keep it up but I was saying it all year since Stearns was hired that this organization hasn't been in better hands in a long time. We have the right owner, POBO, manager. Success is showing and should follow and hopefully it'll get us a WS eventually. I've yet to see one that I could possibly remember.

They've given us fans a really fun season. Let's keep it up but I was saying it all year since Stearns was hired that this organization hasn't been in better hands in a long time. We have the right owner, POBO, manager. Success is showing and should follow and hopefully it'll get us a WS eventually. I've yet to see one that I could possibly remember.
I agree. There’s finally stability and competence from the top down to the manager which this organization has lacked maybe since the Cashen / Davey Johnson days.

Last edited:
This shit at this point is crazy good and what we are usually on the other side of.

I have no idea how it ends but this may be one of my favorite Met teams
The bullpen and pitching in general has been fantastic. Throw in the fact the DH spot has been a huge upgrade over the shitshow we witnessed last season. The organization has set it self up with young talent,haven't rushed them and Stearns picked a very good manager to lead the way. The fact the Yankees had this guy for 10 years and didn't give him the job over Boone was a gift to us. Them letting Severino and Bader take a subway ride cross town was another gift.

Reactions: tico brown
Mets recall DJ Stewart. This leaves them with Pablo Reyes as their only backup infielder.

Mets recall DJ Stewart. This leaves them with Pablo Reyes as their only backup infielder.
McNeil injury is troubling for middle infield depth / defensive flexibility as you highlighted

Mauricio’s injury also a significant downer as well as the lack of development with Acuna.

McNeil injury is troubling for middle infield depth / defensive flexibility as you highlighted

Mauricio’s injury also a significant downer as well as the lack of development with Acuna.
Seems like Mets valued replacing McNeil's lefty bat, more than they valued replacing his defensive flexibility.

If the Mets do need another infielder, Luke Ritter would be a possibility as well as Acuna.

Seems like Mets valued replacing McNeil's lefty bat, more than they valued replacing his defensive flexibility.

If the Mets do need another infielder, Luke Ritter would be a possibility as well as Acuna.
Or Baty?

Gonna need to get some bats going again on this road trip. If Lindor and Vientos get shut down others need to step up. Braves now play host to the Reds who we just finished with for a makeup game today before heading to play the Nats two games in DC. . Padres headed to Seattle and Dbacks hosting Texas.

Last edited:
Would have signed up for 5-1 homestand any day but really wanted / needed this win today.

Would have preferred that Diaz not pitch yesterday with 4 run lead and saved him for today if needed

Tough road trip coming up !

Giants hang on to beat Padres 7-6. They had led 7-1 after 6.

So Mets are tied with Braves, trail Padres by 2, trail D-Backs by 1 pending their ESPN game tonight.

Reactions: Knight Shift
As we know, the rule of thumb is that you go to your closer with a three run lead (save situation), but not a four run lead (non-save situation). Mendoza clearly does not feel that the save statistic must determine his decisions. Can't blame him for that.

Meanwhile in Houston, Justin Verlander, whom the Mets are still paying, has given up 8 runs in 2.1 innings.

He has 260 wins. He wants 300. Will he even get to 261? Will anyone offer him a contract next year?

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
Meanwhile in Houston, Justin Verlander, whom the Mets are still paying, has given up 8 runs in 2.1 innings.

He has 260 wins. He wants 300. Will he even get to 261? Will anyone offer him a contract next year?
At least the Mets will be off the hook since he won’t reach the innings needed for them to continue passing him next year.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
The bullpen and pitching in general has been fantastic. Throw in the fact the DH spot has been a huge upgrade over the shitshow we witnessed last season. The organization has set it self up with young talent,haven't rushed them and Stearns picked a very good manager to lead the way. The fact the Yankees had this guy for 10 years and didn't give him the job over Boone was a gift to us. Them letting Severino and Bader take a subway ride cross town was another gift.
As to the young talent, there’s still a lot of work to do to build up the talent in the minors. But it’s been fun to watch Vientos develop, and Alvarez will eventually put it together.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
As we know, the rule of thumb is that you go to your closer with a three run lead (save situation), but not a four run lead (non-save situation). Mendoza clearly does not feel that the save statistic must determine his decisions. Can't blame him for that.
I’m okay with ensure the win today, worry about tomorrow tomorrow.

Even on the speed part, he gets thrown out a lot. Other than rookie league, his performance in the minors has been meh.
To your point, Acuna is 39 for 52 at stealing bases this year, 75%. That is considered borderline. Above that, you're helping the team. Below that, you're hurting the team.

In a change of plans, Mets have announced that Megill will start tonight. Blackburn remains on the IL. I guess he had a setback?

Also, in a depth move, Mets have acquired journeyman IF Eddy Alvarez from the Red Sox in a minor league cash deal.

In a change of plans, Mets have announced that Megill will start tonight. Blackburn remains on the IL. I guess he had a setback?

Hate this. Megill starting very meaningful "playoff" type games with 20 to go is not ideal.

Is this really as bad as many are making it seem for a 21 y/o first year in AAA?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT