ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

Padres lead 3-0 in top of ninth, bases loaded, two out, and Tigers #9 hitter hits a grand slam!

4-3 Tigers lead, still batting. Can they hold on?
Parker Meadows hit the grand slam Younger Brother of Austin Meadows.

Kid is going to be a real nice player. Consistent 20-20 to be player in my humble opinion.

I have him on my fantasy baseball team.

Love his potential !

Most importantly , great day for the Mets !

It’s Mano Mano - Us vs Braves !

Last edited:
A trivia question as we await the evening's contests:

A total of 19 former Mets pitchers have won Cy Young awards. Of these:

* 4 won while pitching for the Mets. Anyone reading this post should know all four, although one is a bit tricky.

* 13 won prior to coming to the Mets. Of these, some are obvious, some are more difficult, one or two are pretty much impossible.

* 2 won after leaving the Mets. Both are gettable.

I invite you to have at it. How many can you name?

Bravo! Here are some hints on the other five:

1) Years after winning the Cy Young elsewhere, he became a Met cult hero.

2) One of the few relief pitchers to win it.

3) Was a Met nemesis the year he won it. Then over a decade later, pitched for the Mets in the postseason.

4) A soft tosser who lost 22 one year, then figured it out and won 22 two years later, with a team that went 73-89.

5) This is the toughest. He won in 1964 at age 23. Only appeared in three games for the Mets. Was done at age 30.

Randy jones . . .
That was one of the years that I thought Seaver should have gotten yet another Cy Young but didn't. He had a better ERA and led the league in strike outs, but had a win total that nobody back then would have given the Cy Young to. Today, no problem.

Seaver should have beaten Fergie Jenkins in '71 too.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeapinLou
Mike Hampton and Scott Kazmir popped into my head but I don't think either ever won a Cy Young

wow, never knew that! i would have assumed since he's like a top 10 pitcher ever
Ryan had incredible stuff, struck out of lot of people, and was often unhittable. Jerry Grote swears that Ryan threw 108 mph. But Ryan led the league in walks almost as many times as he led the league in strikeouts, and he almost lost 300 games in his career. He certainly was a great pitcher and a worthy hall of famer. But he was never the best pitcher in the game. Seaver sure was.

Reactions: AntiG and RAHWAYBOB
Fun quiz. The Mets are so friggin fun to watch right now. Other thoughts:
1. You gotta hope Severino, Meanea and Peterson can continue to be an effective trio down the stretch - I don't have as much confidence in Blackburn or Quintana.
2. The Megill experiment (going on four years now?) needs to end immediately, and I would not even bother offering him a contract for next year (too many walks to be an effective reliever).
3. If Senga CAN come back, you put him in the bullpen or use him as a two or three inning opener. The latter might be effective in the playoffs in particular.
4. Winker and Martinez should be in a straight up platoon the rest of the year at DH. I know the latter has had some big hits, but overall he's definitely on the downward slope of a nice career.
5. The bullpen has done okay lately! Slightly worried about Butto, and would not expose him more than one inning at a time now. Brazoaban should not pitch before Ottavino. Diaz has looked fantastic the last three or four outings, but you can't trust him like you once did. Garrett has come back closer to his earlier form and Maton is a friggin godsend with a rubber arm.
6. Lindor is a stud....he might be over .280 by the end of the year with 30 HR, 100 RBI's, 30 SB and 100 runs. Incredible. He should never leave the lead off spot.
7. Slumping hitters - you hope that Nimmo and Alvarez can come back to their for from earlier in the year. On the latter - the time he was hurt was the worst thing that could happen.
8. I am 50/50 on Alonso coming back at this point. I don't think we can afford both alonso and soto, as well as fill our other needs. On the other hand, I think Soto is a Yankee for life.

I was just looking at Lindor's numbers and had not realized how much he closed back into the possibility of a 120 run and 100 RBI season. If he can keep this going through the end of year- final 22 games, we are most likely in the playoffs and he is 120 runs
Dude could end up with some crazy numbers for a SS and elite fielder

Same pace that he has had for 30 days over the final 22 and his final stats are 190 hits, 115 runs 47 doubles 37 HR 100 RBI .286 BA 30 SB

Ryan had incredible stuff, struck out of lot of people, and was often unhittable. Jerry Grote swears that Ryan threw 108 mph. But Ryan led the league in walks almost as many times as he led the league in strikeouts, and he almost lost 300 games in his career. He certainly was a great pitcher and a worthy hall of famer. But he was never the best pitcher in the game. Seaver sure was.
Ryan may be the pitcher a hitter least wanted to face on any given day in the history of baseball...But he just wasn't as good as those like Seaver Gibson etc

Reactions: willisneverrana43
The closest Ryan came to the Cy was in 1973 when he finished second, behind Jim Palmer.

Ryan's career K/9 ratio was 9.5. Today that would be considered good but nothing special.

The closest Ryan came to the Cy was in 1973 when he finished second, behind Jim Palmer.

Ryan's career K/9 ratio was 9.5. Today that would be considered good but nothing special.
16 of 20 of the top k/9 are either still in their careers or just recently retired.
The 4 old timers in the top 20- are Randy Johnson 10.6 Kerry Wood 10.3 Pedro Martinez 10 Nolan Ryan 9.5

I would guess that is because the younger generation rarely pitches over 6 innings. So, they are going all out on every pitch. Plus, hitters no longer care about contact and hit them where they aint.
Makes me think of an interview Smoltz gave where he taked about how Tony Gwynn faced him, Glavin, Maddox and Pedro a 300 times (these 4 pitchers have 12k K's in their career- and Tony struck out 3 times total.

16 of 20 of the top k/9 are either still in their careers or just recently retired.
The 4 old timers in the top 20- are Randy Johnson 10.6 Kerry Wood 10.3 Pedro Martinez 10 Nolan Ryan 9.5

I would guess that is because the younger generation rarely pitches over 6 innings. So, they are going all out on every pitch. Plus, hitters no longer care about contact and hit them where they aint.
Makes me think of an interview Smoltz gave where he taked about how Tony Gwynn faced him, Glavin, Maddox and Pedro a 300 times (these 4 pitchers have 12k K's in their career- and Tony struck out 3 times total.
think about this and they are all good but here are the top 10 pitchers historical who have have majority of their career after 2010, in order
(1)Snell (2)Sale (3)Ray (4)deGrom (5)Scherzer (6)Darvish (8)Strasburg (9)Cole (12)Rodon (13)Pivetta

Top 10of the old timers are
(7) Johnson (10)Wood (11) Pedro (20)Ryan (21)Ollie Perez (23) Hoffman (24) Lincecum (26) Kofax (38) Sam McDowell (39) Santana

Guys like Gooden, Gibson, Seaver, Guidry etc are well below 140 on the list.

Home Run Mets GIF by The 7 Line

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT