ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

Lindor continues his pace to become baseball's No.2 all time shortstop,trailing only Honus Wagner.

Here's more good news for the Mets:They have 2 guaranteed wins in the upcoming home and home series' with the Phillies as Severino will be pitching against Walker in both of them.Hopefully,the Phillies should have both the East and the No.2 spot locked down by the time of those disasters.

I think it's unfortunate that we will likely never see Shintaro Fujinami in a Mets uniform. He looks to have finally found himself. His line over his last six appearances: nine innings, no runs, one hit, two walks, thirteen strikeouts.

31 year old Matt Chapman just signed an extension with the Giants. Six years, $151 M, $25M AAV. They ripped up his current contract, which had two years left at $18M AAV.

A possible comp for Alonso? Both are corner infielders, non-premium positions. Alonso has more power, but Chapman is a Gold Glover.

Love him but zero reason to extend Alonso. These sluggers fall off a cliff fast at 30, only the pure hitters like Goldy and Freeman age well.

Love him but zero reason to extend Alonso. These sluggers fall off a cliff fast at 30, only the pure hitters like Goldy and Freeman age well.
Well- we already knew we weren't extending him. But, if we can't bring him back- who do we actually replace him with? He will cost us about $25 mil a year.
Is that really a horrible investment even if he only keeps up with his current year in the future. Pretty much his worst year and he will be over 35 HR and near 90 RBI

Reactions: RU-05
Well- we already knew we weren't extending him. But, if we can't bring him back- who do we actually replace him with? He will cost us about $25 mil a year.
Is that really a horrible investment even if he only keeps up with his current year in the future. Pretty much his worst year and he will be over 35 HR and near 90 RBI
I think Stearns, with Cohen's backing, looks at free agency holistically.

In Stearns' mind, the question is NOT "If I don't re-sign Alonso, how do I replace him?" The question is "There are X number of free agents out there, Alonso included. There are Y number of other players who may be available in trades. Thanks to Uncle Steve, any of them is fair game. So, how do I want to build my team?"

Reactions: knightinaz
31 year old Matt Chapman just signed an extension with the Giants. Six years, $151 M, $25M AAV. They ripped up his current contract, which had two years left at $18M AAV.

A possible comp for Alonso? Both are corner infielders, non-premium positions. Alonso has more power, but Chapman is a Gold Glover.
I'm wondering if the Mets should do an Atlanta Braves and try to lock up Vientos for a while.

Reactions: rubaseball78
I'm wondering if the Mets should do an Atlanta Braves and try to lock up Vientos for a while.
100% - they should try to do the same with Alvarez off a bad year.
If a 6 year, $151mm deal is on the table for Alonso, the Mets will take it.
Agree- We do not have any youngsters to replace his production at 1B. How do we trade for his presence and who will be a free agent for much less money that can even be close to his production?

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
100% - they should try to do the same with Alvarez off a bad year.

Agree- We do not have any youngsters to replace his production at 1B. How do we trade for his presence and who will be a free agent for much less money that can even be close to his production?
That said, I don't see that deal being available to the Mets. It'll definitely be more, or something very different.

Reportedly in 2023, the Mets offered Alonso $168M over seven years ($24M AAV), which he declined. Then Stearns came on board and there have been no serious negotiations since.

It is clear that the Mets do not view Alonso as a "must sign". If they did, they would overpay to make sure he never sniffs free agency, as Cohen did with Lindor and Diaz.

Reactions: Knight Shift

BTW, in case you were wondering (as I was) why the Giants would extend a player who still had two years left on his contract, it is because he had an opt out after this season.

Reactions: rubaseball78
Reportedly in 2023, the Mets offered Alonso $168M over seven years ($24M AAV), which he declined. Then Stearns came on board and there have been no serious negotiations since.

It is clear that the Mets do not view Alonso as a "must sign". If they did, they would overpay to make sure he never sniffs free agency, as Cohen did with Lindor and Diaz.
A lot has changed- including Boris’s other clients getting F—ked.
Pete has also had a bad year- where else does he get $25 mil for over 6 years and the off the field money he makes here.
Put a C on his shirt

Reactions: RU-05
According to FanGraphs, they already do have Vientos locked up for five years until 2030. He has to work for peanuts (relatively speaking) until 2027, when he reaches arbitration eligibility for three years.

The Mets could of course offer him a eight year deal which would buy out three years of free agency. There are pros and cons to that. I would never offer that to a pitcher, but to a position player it may make sense.

It seems to me Lindor is a lot more the captain to the team than Pete at this point and that is no knock on Pete. It's how Lindor stepped up more than just on the field.
I also think Lindor is but Pete may see himself as a Captain

I also think Lindor is but Pete may see himself as a Captain
I definitely see Lindor more as the captain and leader of this team. I look at things like when Lindor has a bad at bat in the 1st inning what he usually does it go over to the next batter up and talks over what he sees from the pitcher. Also very good at pumping up and encouraging the pitcher when needed. I contrast that with Alonso who so often when he strikes out just walks away from the plate hanging his head or shaking it or in a case like last night breaking his bat over his knee. To me that's not leadership or good body language.

I definitely see Lindor more as the captain and leader of this team. I look at things like when Lindor has a bad at bat in the 1st inning what he usually does it go over to the next batter up and talks over what he sees from the pitcher. Also very good at pumping up and encouraging the pitcher when needed. I contrast that with Alonso who so often when he strikes out just walks away from the plate hanging his head or shaking it or in a case like last night breaking his bat over his knee. To me that's not leadership or good body language.
not arguing- just saying if a C is a difference maker- it was for Judge, then give it to him- no problem to have 2 captains either but make it a part of the package. having a career Met with 500 hr and 1500 rbi is more than just money

Happy Daniel Bryan GIF by WWE

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
Padres lead 3-0 in top of ninth, bases loaded, two out, and Tigers #9 hitter hits a grand slam!

4-3 Tigers lead, still batting. Can they hold on?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT