ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

He batted .210 with an OPS below .700 in April. 105 ab's. Even in May, he was merely OK. Below .800 OPS.

He's been well above .900 since June.

The difference between his start, and the player he's been since, is stark.
Yes he's playing on another level now but he wasn't really that bad after the first week and a half is all I'm saying. People that were getting on him early were idiots.

Is a Senga return legitimately back on the table?
Very iffy. Paywalled link, but this is the essence from a Sept. 2 story:

"Ace Kodai Senga, who’s started one game all season, is open to returning as a reliever by the end of the regular season. Senga has been out since late July with a high-grade calf strain, and he is not eligible to come off the 60-day inured list until Sept. 25, when there would be five games left in the season. He had missed the first several months of the season with a shoulder injury. The Athletic had previously reported that the Mets were cautiously optimistic about a Senga return in the regular season."

"Senga was clear on Monday that he would need to feel at full strength to proceed with a return. He estimated he feels about 50 percent at the moment.

“I need to be 100 percent to contribute to the team and pitch at the highest level,” he said."

Reactions: RU-05
Yes he's playing on another level now but he wasn't really that bad after the first week and a half is all I'm saying. People that were getting on him early were idiots.
He was batting .198 on May 21st, with an OPS of .620. Nearly 2 months into the season. The early season struggles were much longer then a week and a half.

People getting on him early were justified.

As a Phils fan, I put the Mets in my rear view mirror a long time ago. What's happened? How did they get back in contention & do the Phils have to worry about facing them instead of the Braves in the playoffs?
The main thing that has happened was that the starting pitching, a liability earlier in the year, has been very very good.

He was batting .198 on May 21st, with an OPS of .620. Nearly 2 months into the season. The early season struggles were much longer then a week and a half.

Taking out his first week which was awful he had a .796 OPS the rest of April. If you remove the first 8 games and use April 7 to May 31 he had a .777 OPS. Again he was fine except for the first 8 games. .260/.317/.460 in that run so not great and not what he's doing now but also fine enough. His bad first 2 months very overstated.

The main thing that has happened was that the starting pitching, a liability earlier in the year, has been very very good.
Seve's best month of the season was April. ERA under 2

Manaea had an ERA of 3 in April.

Butto below 3 in April.

Starting pitching was not the issue early. Certainly not compared to the struggles of Lindor, Nimmo, Alonso, McNeil, Baty.

I think it was justified at that time but not justified to continue to bring up the contract. I have said it since day one that he came here- Lindor is going to up near the top of every hitting category for the Met's when he is done. And he is an elite fielder as well at a premium position.
He is now about to go back to back 30/30 and he is almost always near 100/100 in runs/rbi.

Reactions: Knight Shift

It's what fans do when they see a multimillionaire doing a crappy job at their high paid job. Comes with the territory.

Now for the cry me a river part. Athletes are human too, and they hit rough patches in life and at work. The only difference is the spotlight is on their rough patches, and it should be.

Taking out his first week which was awful he had a .796 OPS the rest of April. If you remove the first 8 games and use April 7 to May 31 he had a .777 OPS. Again he was fine except for the first 8 games. .260/.317/.460 in that run so not great and not what he's doing now but also fine enough. His bad first 2 months very overstated.
April 28th his BA was .202, his OPS .666. On May 21st it was .198 and .620.

He had a blip of good play in the mix, but nearly 2 months into the season he was batting below .200.

I think it was justified at that time but not justified to continue to bring up the contract. I have said it since day one that he came here- Lindor is going to up near the top of every hitting category for the Met's when he is done. And he is an elite fielder as well at a premium position.
He is now about to go back to back 30/30 and he is almost always near 100/100 in runs/rbi.
The contract is tied into it.

And I was skeptical at the time. The start, 2 months in, was so bad, I didn't think he'd get back to last year's numbers. But he's been absolutely on fire of late, and has indeed proved your defense of him early in the season to be correct.

That said, as we've seen how important he is to the team, it would be nice if he didn't start these seasons off so poorly.

April 28th his BA was .202, his OPS .666. On May 21st it was .198 and .620.

He had a blip of good play in the mix, but nearly 2 months into the season he was batting below .200.
Yes because those numbers were buoyed by his atrocious 1 for 31 start those first 8 games. You throw in his other bad week in May and you get the low BA. As I originally said he had a extra bad 2 weeks within the first 2 months that made everything look worse than it really was. His OPS went from .217 to .699 from the 8 game stretch to end of May. We can both play with the numbers as much as we would like. You take the good with the bad of course as every game counts but he certainly has stepped up in a monster way.

Yes because those numbers were buoyed by his atrocious 1 for 31 start those first 8 games. You throw in his other bad week in May and you get the low BA. As I originally said he had a extra bad 2 weeks within the first 2 months that made everything look worse than it really was. His OPS went from .217 to .699 from the 8 game stretch to end of May. We can both play with the numbers as much as we would like. You take the good with the bad of course as every game counts but he certainly has stepped up in a monster way.
We can definitely agree he's been great the last 2+ months.

Was going to joke about a recent 0-fer stretch, but there hasn't been one. Just 2 games since start of Aug without a hit.

Reactions: Zak57
We can definitely agree he's been great the last 2+ months.

Was going to joke about a recent 0-fer stretch, but there hasn't been one. Just 2 games since start of Aug without a hit.
I don't watch as closely and study weekly/monthly stats, but just from casual watching, he is on fire lately. Need it to continue, and for Pete to ratchet it up a bit more. And hopefully JD Martinez recovers from the childbirth, stretch marks and postpartum depression and comes back on fire.

• Haha
Reactions: Zak57
October is what I’m looking for with Lindor. Hopefully we make it, and hopefully he’s great.

Throwing off mound begins process of building pitch count
Start approx 25 on side session
35 vs guys just standing in the box
45 vs live hitters
45 minor league game

55-60 minor league ….but possible depending on injury type ,pitcher might be brought back to start for team

Then team decides 60-65 in AAA or return to team

45 vs live hitters
45 minor league game

55-60 minor league ….but possible depending on injury type ,pitcher might be brought back to start for team

If the plan is to use him as a bullpen guy, that must change the process.

1964 Mets' third baseman,Wayne Graham,died last night at 88.
He was the baseball coach at Rice when they won the NCAA title in 2003,coaching several future MLB stars.

45 vs live hitters
45 minor league game

Senga is on the 60 day IL. The earliest he can come off is September 25 I think.

I used to pitch and I never thought so but you always hear pitchers coming back from injuries first throwing off flat ground and then throwing from the mound. If he's throwing from the mound then he closer to returning than if he was only on flat ground.
Thanks. My pitching "career" ended at age 12 or 13. In the LL "minors", I once pitched an immaculate inning. It was my Al Bundy sports moment. 2-3 years later, the opposing team had an "immaculate" inning against me, batting around and 4-5 home runs. I switched to infield after that debacle!

Reactions: rubaseball78
Thanks. My pitching "career" ended at age 12 or 13. In the LL "minors", I once pitched an immaculate inning. It was my Al Bundy sports moment. 2-3 years later, the opposing team had an "immaculate" inning against me, batting around and 4-5 home runs. I switched to infield after that debacle!
You're a bad ass!

My shining moment on the mound never quite happened, as the coach removed me after 5 perfect innings in a travel squad Babe Ruth game because we led by a ton and he wanted to save arms (mine) for later in the tournament. Ugh.

• Haha
You're a bad ass!

My shining moment on the mound never quite happened, as the coach removed me after 5 perfect innings in a travel squad Babe Ruth game because we led by a ton and he wanted to save arms (mine) for later in the tournament. Ugh.
Not gonna have a gravestone, but the running joke in my household that my poor wife is sick of is all of my insignificant achievements in life that would be on my would be tombstone. Got a lot of eye rolls at the dinner table. Always thought a lot of little nothings could add up to something. Not so in my house. Tough crowd. I stayed humble (in defeat). 😂

Reactions: willisneverrana43
Not gonna have a gravestone, but the running joke in my household that my poor wife is sick of is all of my insignificant achievements in life that would be on my would be tombstone. Got a lot of eye rolls at the dinner table. Always thought a lot of little nothings could add up to something. Not so in my house. Tough crowd. I stayed humble (in defeat). 😂
think about how my little league and very limited HS baseball career stories hold up at our family get togethers...on top of NFL, the younger one was a state top 3 champion triple jump and long jump...

Oh yeah- I even came in 2nd in the 1974 NYS bowling championship(team) as a 12 y/o...I used to actually have that trophy up in my den for a number of years hahahaha

• Haha
James Franco Flirt GIF

Reactions: Doctor Worm
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT