ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

Happy Number 1 GIF by MotoGP™

Reactions: Knight Shift
As I said yesterday, I'd like to see the Mets bounce back this afternooon, sweep the White Sox and have the Phillies take 3 of 4 from the Braves. IF that happens, they'll enter the homestand just 1 game back. That said, they're going nowhere if Butto and Diaz can't be counted upon. I wouldn't be shocked if we don't see Nunez for a while (again) this year.
And here we are. 1 game out as we enter the home stretch.

Weekend went just like I would have hoped. Good thing too because while we play the competitive Red Sox next the Braves head back home to host the Colorado Rockies.

The Phillies Braves game was torture !

Thank goodness Phillies won !

It’s going to be a real fun September playoff race and hopefully with a happy ending !

Mets are now just one game behind the Braves. Yet they are getting no respect from the computers. ESPN projects the Braves to have a 76.5% chance to make the playoffs, and the Mets just 28.6%.

Why is this? In a word, schedule.

The Mets have the third hardest remaining schedule in the NL. 25 games left, 13 home, 12 away. Opponent average win percentage .529.

# GamesTeamWin %
3​
Boston.511
3​
Cincinnati.471
3​
@Toronto.482
3​
@Philadelphia.591
3​
Washington.445
4​
Philadelphia.591
3​
@Atlanta.540
3​
@Milwaukee.584
TOTAL.529

The Braves have the second easiest schedule. 25 games left, 17 home, 8 away. Opponent average win percentage .483.

# GamesTeamWin %
3​
Colorado.370
3​
Toronto.482
1​
Cincinnati.471
2​
@Washington.445
4​
LA Dodgers.599
3​
@Cincinnati.471
3​
@Miami.372
3​
NY Mets.533
3​
Kansas City.543
TOTAL.483

Last edited:
Mets are now just one game behind the Braves. Yet they are getting no respect from the computers. ESPN projects the Braves to have a 76.5% chance to make the playoffs, and the Mets just 28.6%.

The Mets have the third hardest remaining schedule in the NL. 25 games left, 13 home, 12 away. Opponent average win percentage .529.

# GamesTeamWin %
3​
Boston.511
3​
Cincinnati.471
3​
@Toronto.482
3​
@Philadelphia.591
3​
Washington.445
4​
Philadelphia.591
3​
@Atlanta.540
3​
@Milwaukee.584
TOTAL.529

The Braves have the second easiest schedule. 25 games left, 17 home, 8 away. Opponent average win percentage .483.

# GamesTeamWin %
3​
Colorado.370
3​
Toronto.482
1​
Cincinnati.471
2​
@Washington.445
4​
LA Dodgers.599
3​
@Cincinnati.471
3​
@Miami.372
3​
NY Mets.533
3​
Kansas City.543
TOTAL.483
Thanks. Sucks about the schedule and statistical probabilities etc but hopefully September baseball Magic will happen !

Ya Gotta Believe!

As a famous Country Singer s Dad once made popular!

Gotta somehow tread water between now and the Braves series. Meaning, we must enter that series no worse than one game down, same as now. Then take two of three, which would get us even going into the final weekend, and we would have the tiebreaker.

# GamesTeamWin %
3​
Boston.511
3​
Cincinnati.471
3​
@Toronto.482
3​
@Philadelphia.591
3​
Washington.445
4​
Philadelphia.591
3​
@Atlanta.540
3​
@Milwaukee.584
TOTAL.529

# GamesTeamWin %
3​
Colorado.370
3​
Toronto.482
1​
Cincinnati.471
2​
@Washington.445
4​
LA Dodgers.599
3​
@Cincinnati.471
3​
@Miami.372
3​
NY Mets.533
3​
Kansas City.543
TOTAL.483

Thanks. Sucks about the schedule and statistical probabilities etc but hopefully September baseball Magic will happen !

Ya Gotta Believe!

As a famous Country Singer s Dad once made popular!
Screw the schedule. Mets underperformed with an easy schedule. Maybe they play to the level of their competition. Have no idea. Just win.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
Mets now only 3 behind the Diamondbacks, who lost to the Dodgers.

Mets also create a little more space between themselves and the Cubs, who lost 5-3 to the Pirates. Jorge Lopez, everyone's favorite glove tosser, got lit up for 4 in the 8th.

Those 7 games we have remaining against the Philthies are gonna be big. Yes I'll call them the Philthies again now that we no longer need them. But they're all pretty huge now.

Aug. 1, 1964 - “Casey at the Mets” is a promotional film covering manager Casey Stengel’s New York Mets, as the losing club continues to draw huge crowds at their new ballpark, Shea Stadium.

This wild card / pennant race is so exciting !

Hoping to make it to Sunday s game - weather permitting

I’m nervous tomorrow about the pitching match up ( Houck vs Megill)

Sounds like Blackburn will be back shortly!

This team has so much “it factor “ right now ! Hoping so badly we have enough to get us to October playoff baseball !

Let’s Go Mets !

As a Phils fan, I put the Mets in my rear view mirror a long time ago. What's happened? How did they get back in contention & do the Phils have to worry about facing them instead of the Braves in the playoffs?

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
My how things have changed since then!
It does highlight how important it is for a guy with that contract to not be batting .150 for a significant stretch. Conversely when he plays to a level that that contract suggests he should, the team does well.

He wasn't the only guy struggling early, but he is our best guy and he was struggling as bad as anyone.

53-31 since Jorge Lopez threw his glove in the stands
Amazing how long and how many ups and downs there are in a baseball season. The Varsity is playing 500 ball since June 1st. Looking at their record, you'd never think that. Bottom line is how your playing come October if you manage to get into the postseason.

As a Phils fan, I put the Mets in my rear view mirror a long time ago. What's happened? How did they get back in contention & do the Phils have to worry about facing them instead of the Braves in the playoffs?
Mets had an all around turn around. Lindor started out awful, he's been great. Young guys like Viento(stuck behind Baty who is now in the minors) and Alvarez(was injured) started hitting. Alonso was very bad early, but better(still not great) since. Even McNeil who was terrible for months has now been good for months. Bullpen started out awful, has been pretty good for a couple months.

Starting pitching was pretty to start the season, but it too has improved, especially with the return and emergence of Peterson.

So there is nothing specific to point to. It's everyone.

Mets had an all around turn around. Lindor started out awful, he's been great. Young guys like Viento(stuck behind Baty who is now in the minors) and Alvarez(was injured) started hitting. Alonso was very bad early, but better(still not great) since. Even McNeil who was terrible for months has now been good for months. Bullpen started out awful, has been pretty good for a couple months.

Starting pitching was pretty to start the season, but it too has improved, especially with the return and emergence of Peterson.

So there is nothing specific to point to. It's everyone.
If Mets get Senga back, he is in mid to top form and make the playoffs, it could be a good run. A lot of ifs in that. . . . . but ya gotta believe!!!!!

Reactions: dollarbill
Lindor had a bad 2 weeks to open the season and since has obviously been excellent. The bad start is kind of over stated.
He batted .210 with an OPS below .700 in April. 105 ab's. Even in May, he was merely OK. Below .800 OPS.

He's been well above .900 since June.

The difference between his start, and the player he's been since, is stark.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT