ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

Mendoza overmanaged this one. Nothing wrong with the way Maton was going. And now he needs to consider a move at closer assuming Nunez is healthy. May be too late now though. 2 losses like this in the last 3 games are very hard to overcome at this point in the season

Has no one been watching the dropoff in Diaz’s stuff all year? If you have been, you’re not surprised. His velocity’s down on both his fastball and slider, and some of his sliders just hang there waiting to be crushed. All year. And leaving some journeyman named Maton in for more batters is no “of course” answer. The Mets bullpen is what it is, and it’s not something that in retrospect should have been managed around. There aren’t enough good bullpen arms. And when you run into a hitting machine like the D-Backs are right now, this can easily happen.

More Maton. Jeez.

Has no one been watching the dropoff in Diaz’s stuff all year? If you have been, you’re not surprised. His velocity’s down on both his fastball and slider, and some of his sliders just hang there waiting to be crushed. All year. And leaving some journeyman named Maton in for more batters is no “of course” answer. The Mets bullpen is what it is, and it’s not something that in retrospect should have been managed around. There aren’t enough good bullpen arms. And when you run into a hitting machine like the D-Backs are right now, this can easily happen.

More Maton. Jeez.
So, pass the Maton?

Reactions: willisneverrana43
Mendoza overmanaged this one. Nothing wrong with the way Maton was going. And now he needs to consider a move at closer assuming Nunez is healthy. May be too late now though. 2 losses like this in the last 3 games are very hard to overcome at this point in the season
Nunez was unavailable last night due to forearm tightness. He is day to day. Aren't we all?

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
Crushing blow, again! Diaz isn't the same, may never be again, who knows.I had high hopes until these last 3 games. Pencil in the need for sweeping the Braves late in September which won't happen I'm afraid. Totally disgusted with Diaz.

Anyone else concerned that our pitchers issue way too many walks (Mets lead the NL in this category)! Is it philosophy or just bad pitchers? Seems to be trending this way for a few years.

Season is done, can't bounce back from two brutal blown wins against teams your chasing in the playoff race, and not to mention the Braves just don't lose when it counts.
The Mets gave us some excitement, should still hopefully finish with a winning record, and they got us to football season.
Steve Cohen better go all the way in for next year.

As I said yesterday, I'd like to see the Mets bounce back this afternooon, sweep the White Sox and have the Phillies take 3 of 4 from the Braves. IF that happens, they'll enter the homestand just 1 game back. That said, they're going nowhere if Butto and Diaz can't be counted upon. I wouldn't be shocked if we don't see Nunez for a while (again) this year.

The Mets just need to start winning more. Sweep this, split that, win today. Sure, whatever. They just need to win more and hope that some very hot teams get un-hot.

More Maton. Jeez.
That journeyman named Maton has pitched to an 2.08 era with the Mets even counting the run charged to him on the grand slam before which his ERA was under 2.00 in orange and blue. Doesn't give up a lot of hard contact and has pennant and post season experience and is usually around the plate. And had already gotten 2 of the 3 outs. I swear so many apparently don't even watch the games. Anybody who does knows that Diaz often struggles finding the plate on the 1st batter he faces. And sure enough walked the 1st two to paint himself into a corner. Coming into a game in the with runners on is not his strong suit.

Reactions: Zak57
Too late for me but a quick box score review indicates they brought in Diaz for a 4 out save and the result was walk, walk, HR. Thank the Lord I slept through that.

He's had such a strange career as a Met. He sucked. Then he was great. Then he was injured. Now you don't know what he's going to do. I feel like both sides need a fresh start and they need a new closer for next year.

Too late for me but a quick box score review indicates they brought in Diaz for a 4 out save and the result was walk, walk, HR. Thank the Lord I slept through that.

He's had such a strange career as a Met. He sucked. Then he was great. Then he was injured. Now you don't know what he's going to do. I feel like both sides need a fresh start and they need a new closer for next year.
It was as ugly as ugly gets. He was missing all over the place before giving up that bomb.

Diaz's problem before 2022 seemed more in his head and approach. This year, he just seems to have lost some of his stuff (mostly velocity) and tends to hang the slider that a couple of years ago was unhittable. Now, hittable.

Lou, I sure don't think there will be any party in the stands with dancing mock trumpeteers when he is next entering a game at Citi.

Reactions: LeapinLou
I asked if season would be over before Howard kickoff

Close if they lose today , only way to drag you back in is Phillies sweep Braves ,Mets sweep white Sox and it’s back to 1-2 games . But Megill will pitch 3 perfect lights out inning and then give up 4 in 4th 💩💩💩

White Sox are 4-35

images

Reactions: Knight Shift
I think we all would have signed for 4-3 in those last seven games. But those last two losses pretty much define why you have to keep expectations moderate. Big opportunity to make up some ground over the next 3 days.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I think we all would have signed for 4-3 in those last seven games. But those last two losses pretty much define why you have to keep expectations moderate. Big opportunity to make up some ground over the next 3 days.
Normally, I'm an optimist, but with the way this season has gone, sheeting the bed against the White Sox will not surprise or upset me.

Reactions: LeapinLou
Mendoza has the guts of a burglar running Diaz right back out there today. He was sharp and it worked out. Now let's see what the Phillies are gonna do.
Diaz threw 18 pitches yesterday. 17 of them were fastballs. It worked, but not sure that is sustainable.

Mets completed their toughest 10 game stretch of the season at 6-4. Coulda been 8-2, coulda been 3-7. We'll take it.

For those viewing this series as "must sweep", I fear you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Sweeping anybody, even the White Sox, is statistically unlikely.

Mets completed their toughest 10 game stretch of the season at 6-4. Coulda been 8-2, coulda been 3-7. We'll take it.

For those viewing this series as "must sweep", I fear you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Sweeping anybody, even the White Sox, is statistically unlikely.
I'm not gonna say it's a must sweep but what I will say is that anything less would indeed be a dissappointment to me. Didn't the Chisox have like almost a 20 game losing streak earlier? And right now they're 1-9 in their last 10. So yes to not sweep them would be disappointing to me.

It’s a travesty that McGill is pitching a meaningful (almost) September baseball game. The Senga reinjury is really the death knell for the season.

Happy Mets won but why did Diaz pitch 9th inning ? Isn’t this his 3rd day in a row pitching?
Yes. When he warmed up in the ninth, the Mets were up three. They tacked on one more in the ninth. Jerry Blevins opinion is that once they warmed him up, that probably takes him off the table for tomorrow anyway. So you may as well bring him in.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT