ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

I watched the whole game. The middle infield defense by the Mets was amazing. When they got through the 7th, I was feeling pretty good. But when Butto walked the guy in the 8th (better to give up a HR in that situation) I knew it was curtains.

Still time but yesterday was a grim reminder that even if we make the playoffs, we're not making any noise. There are five teams in the NL that are clearly better. And we're only in this situation because the Braves are ravaged.
Lots of work to do in the offseason regardless of whether we squeeze in. Lindor, Vientos and Alvarez should be the only starting position players guaranteed to be in the same places next year. And Alvarez needs to really step up and hit like someone who was considered the top prospect in baseball as he was coming thru the system.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
Lots of work to do in the offseason regardless of whether we squeeze in. Lindor, Vientos and Alvarez should be the only starting position players guaranteed to be in the same places next year. And Alvarez needs to really step up and hit like someone who was considered the top prospect in baseball as he was coming thru the system.
Alvarez has natural power and he needs to cut down on his aggressive swing and make contact more. The ball flies off his bat anyway. Definitely something that will be a key in the off season.

Gilbert 3 HR's in 5 games. Boston Baro promoted to Brooklyn today. Jonah Tong had another big start over the weekend. He's probably our best pitching prospect after Sproat at this point.

August 25 Mets Farm Report (Top 30 Prospects per MLB Pipeline)

AVG/OPS or E.R.A (W-L) (S)

1. Brandon Sproat RHP (AAA Syracuse) - DNP
  2. Jett Williams SS/CF (AA Binghamton) - STL Rehab - 1/3, BB, K, .333/.733
  3. Drew Gilbert OF (AAA Syracuse) - 1/5, HR(4), R, 3 RBI, K, .212/.660
  4. Ryan Clifford OF/1B (AA Binghamton) - 0/2, 2 BB, K, .223/.803
  5. Carson Benge OF (Low A St. Lucie) - 1/2, R, 2 BB, K, .211/.675
  6. Ronny Mauricio 2B/SS/OF (NY Mets) - Injured; Out for Season
  7. Jeremy Rodriguez SS (Rookie FCL Mets) - Season Complete
  8. Blade Tidwell RHP (AAA Syracuse) - DNP
  9. Nolan McLean RHP (AA Binghamton) - 4.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 7 K, 0 HR, 4.30
  10. Jonah Tong RHP (High A Brooklyn) - DNP
  11. Jonathan Santucci LHP (Rookie FCL Mets) - Season Complete
  12. Luisangel Acuna SS/2B (AAA Syracuse) - 2/5, R, .257/.658
  13. Marco Vargas INF (Low A St. Lucie) - 0/3, R, 2 BB, .206/.575
  14. Jesus Baez SS/3B (High A Brooklyn) - Injured
  15. Dominic Hamel RHP (AAA Syracuse) - 4.1 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 4 K, 1 HR, 6.50, L(3-7)
  16. Boston Baro SS/3B (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  17. Trey Snyder SS/3B (Rookie FCL Mets) - Season Complete
  18. Mike Vasil RHP (AAA Syracuse) - DNP
  19. Nick Morabito OF (High A Brooklyn) - 1/3, R, BB, .291/.724
  20. Jacob Reimer 3B/1B (High A Brooklyn) - DNP
  21. Colin Houck SS (Low A St. Lucie) - 1/4, 2B(15), R, BB, K, .210/.619
  22. Nate Dohm RHP (Rookie FCL Mets) - Season Complete
  23. Daiverson Gutierrez C (Rookie FCL Mets) - Season Complete
  24. Ronald Hernandez C/1B (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  25. Kevin Parada C (AA Binghamton) - 0/4, 3 K, .213/.654
  26. Alex Ramirez OF (AA Binghamton) - 0/4, R, 2 K, .213/.606
  27. Edward Lantigua OF (DSL Mets Orange) - Season Complete
  28. Yovanny Rodriguez C (DSL Mets Orange) - Season Complete
  29. A.J. Ewing OF/2B (Low A St. Lucie) - 3/5, HR(5), 2B(10), 2 R, 4 RBI, .234/.711
  30. Jack Wenninger RHP (High A Brooklyn) - 2.0 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 0 K, 3.55, L(1-2)

Alvarez has natural power and he needs to cut down on his aggressive swing and make contact more. The ball flies off his bat anyway. Definitely something that will be a key in the off season.

I don't see the guy changing his swing. That ain't going to work. He needs to work on his selectiveness and how he works an at-bat. Look for the video or article on Vientos's off-season and the efforts that he made to improve his ability to lay off the out-pitches that pitchers were throwing him. That was a smart approach to fixing a problem. Alvarez is a hard worker. I bet he figures it out.

I watched the whole game. The middle infield defense by the Mets was amazing. When they got through the 7th, I was feeling pretty good. But when Butto walked the guy in the 8th (better to give up a HR in that situation) I knew it was curtains.

Still time but yesterday was a grim reminder that even if we make the playoffs, we're not making any noise. There are five teams in the NL that are clearly better. And we're only in this situation because the Braves are ravaged.
Was wondering about Senga, and based on what Stearns said 6 days ago, no hope of getting Senga back before October.

Gilbert 3 HR's in 5 games. Boston Baro promoted to Brooklyn today. Jonah Tong had another big start over the weekend. He's probably our best pitching prospect after Sproat at this point.

August 25 Mets Farm Report (Top 30 Prospects per MLB Pipeline)

1. Brandon Sproat RHP (AAA Syracuse) - DNP
  2. Jett Williams SS/CF (AA Binghamton) - STL Rehab - 1/3, BB, K, .333/.733
  3. Drew Gilbert OF (AAA Syracuse) - 1/5, HR(4), R, 3 RBI, K, .212/.660
  4. Ryan Clifford OF/1B (AA Binghamton) - 0/2, 2 BB, K, .223/.803
  5. Carson Benge OF (Low A St. Lucie) - 1/2, R, 2 BB, K, .211/.675
  9. Nolan McLean RHP (AA Binghamton) - 4.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 7 K, 0 HR, 4.30
  12. Luisangel Acuna SS/2B (AAA Syracuse) - 2/5, R, .257/.658
  13. Marco Vargas INF (Low A St. Lucie) - 0/3, R, 2 BB, .206/.575
  15. Dominic Hamel RHP (AAA Syracuse) - 4.1 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 4 K, 1 HR, 6.50, L(3-7)
  16. Boston Baro SS/3B (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  19. Nick Morabito OF (High A Brooklyn) - 1/3, R, BB, .291/.724
  20. Jacob Reimer 3B/1B (High A Brooklyn) - DNP
  21. Colin Houck SS (Low A St. Lucie) - 1/4, 2B(15), R, BB, K, .210/.619
  23. Daiverson Gutierrez C (Rookie FCL Mets) - Season Complete
  24. Ronald Hernandez C/1B (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  25. Kevin Parada C (AA Binghamton) - 0/4, 3 K, .213/.654
  26. Alex Ramirez OF (AA Binghamton) - 0/4, R, 2 K, .213/.606
  29. A.J. Ewing OF/2B (Low A St. Lucie) - 3/5, HR(5), 2B(10), 2 R, 4 RBI, .234/.711
  30. Jack Wenninger RHP (High A Brooklyn) - 2.0 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 0 K, 3.55, L(1-2)
Thanks for the update on Gilbert. Good to see some power ! Let’s hope he can get his average up ! I’m hoping he can be a contributor next year for the Mets.

Good to See Jett Williams back !

It’s a shame but too many injuries hurt the farm kids’ development this year : Mauricio / Gilbert / Jett etc.

One question facing the Mets is what position player gets called up on 9/1. (I assume the pitcher will be Megill.)

Saw an article today that with Baty's injury, the only logical choice is Acuna. He brings them something they don't have - speed. The article said that according to some speed metric (don't ask me what) the Mets are in the bottom five in MLB. Their fastest player is Tyrone Taylor, but he's not even in the Top 50.

Problem is, do you want to keep Acuna around just as a pinch runner? Would be benefit more from playing every day at Syracuse for an additional three weeks? The AAA season ends on 9/22.

Going into tonight the Mets have 31 games left and are 3 out of the playoffs.
Running out of time, realistically what does their record need to be these last 31 games to get in? 21-10? 22-9?

Makes every loss pretty harmful

18-13 might do it. It's not like the Braves have played well and are a juggernaut. I can easily see them play under .500 the rest of the way, but so could the Mets,lol.

Reactions: RU-05
18-13 might do it. It's not like the Braves have played well and are a juggernaut. I can easily see them play under .500 the rest of the way, but so could the Mets,lol.
Actually after tonight the Braves have won 11 of their last 15. I keep waiting for them to start losing. But they're picking guys off the scrap heap and having them produce. Ramon Laureano who was released by the A's hit a 2 run double in the 10th tonight to give them a 4 run lead in a game they wound up winning by 2.

• Angry
Reactions: Rutgers NJ
Mets may have caught a break in Chicago yesterday. The Rangers - White Sox game was rained out (after four pitches!) and rescheduled for a DH today. Garrett Crotchet was pitching. If they move him back to today, then we miss him this weekend.

Actually after tonight the Braves have won 11 of their last 15. I keep waiting for them to start losing. But they're picking guys off the scrap heap and having them produce. Ramon Laureano who was released by the A's hit a 2 run double in the 10th tonight to give them a 4 run lead in a game they wound up winning by 2.
this is why i said earlier i think the mets need to go around 21-10 in their last 31... one down, good win last night. i think they need to go 20-10 and hope the braves slow down slightly, but we're still 3 games back, the braves don't lose in september (and august apparently)

Reactions: RUfromNJ
Very nice W last night! Hope to take one more this series.

Boston Baro and Ronald Hernandez were promoted to Brooklyn and made their debuts last night. Daiverson Gutierrez was promoted to St. Lucie and he also made his debut there yesterday. Carson Bendge with his first professional HR. Jacob Reimer hurt again. Injuries sapped a lot of our hitting prospects this year.

August 27 Mets Farm Report (Top 30 Prospects per MLB Pipeline)

1. Brandon Sproat RHP (AAA Syracuse) - 4.2 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 5 K, 1 HR, 8.83
  2. Jett Williams SS/CF (AA Binghamton) - STL Rehab - 0/1, 2 BB, .300/.800
  3. Drew Gilbert OF (AAA Syracuse) - 0/3, 2 BB, K, 2 SB(3), .207/.655
  4. Ryan Clifford OF/1B (AA Binghamton) - 1/4, HR(15), R, 2 RBI, K, .223/.810
  5. Carson Benge OF (Low A St. Lucie) - 2/4, HR(1), 2 R, 2 RBI, .261/.860
  9. Nolan McLean RHP (AA Binghamton) - DNP
  12. Luisangel Acuna SS/2B (AAA Syracuse) - 4/5, HR(7), R, 3 RBI, K, 2 SB(34), .263/.673
  13. Marco Vargas INF (Low A St. Lucie) - 0/2, R, 2 BB, 2 K, SB(9), .202/.575
  15. Dominic Hamel RHP (AAA Syracuse) - DNP
  16. Boston Baro SS/3B (High A Brooklyn) - 0/3, R, BB, K, .000/.250
  19. Nick Morabito OF (High A Brooklyn) - 0/4, 2 K, .287/.717
  20. Jacob Reimer 3B/1B (High A Brooklyn) - Injured
  21. Colin Houck SS (Low A St. Lucie) - 0/3, RBI, 2 K, .208/.617
  23. Daiverson Gutierrez C (Low A St. Lucie) - 1/3, 2B(1), 2 K, .333/1.000
  24. Ronald Hernandez C/1B (High A Brooklyn) - 0/4, 2 K, .000/.000
  25. Kevin Parada C (AA Binghamton) - DNP
  26. Alex Ramirez OF (AA Binghamton) - 1/4, R, 2 SB (35), .213/.604
  29. A.J. Ewing OF/2B (Low A St. Lucie) - 1/4, 2 K, .234/.707
  30. Jack Wenninger RHP (High A Brooklyn) - DNP

Reactions: Knight Shift
Interesting that the same umpiring crew that kicked Edwin Diaz out of their game vs the Cubs for sticky hands, costing him a 10 game suspension, recently allowed a Cubs pitcher to wash his sticky hands so that he could continue to pitch.

We in this situation because we were on fire through June and July......and the expanded playoff format.

I'll reserve judgement regarding our playoff chances till after Sept. Actually if the Met's are in the mix, it probably means they won a lot of games in Sept, in which case I'd be pretty confident in their chances.

You need a stud SP1 (and preferably SP2), before I start thinking big dreams for October, but Manaea certainly is opening my eyes. Unfortunately the darn Braves are my lone focus at this point.

You need a stud SP1 (and preferably SP2), before I start thinking big dreams for October, but Manaea certainly is opening my eyes. Unfortunately the darn Braves are my lone focus at this point.
Mets have 3 starters who have pitched quite well this season. If those 3 guys can continue to pitch well through Sept and hopefully in the playoffs, I think that eases the need for a stud SP1.

Interesting that the same umpiring crew that kicked Edwin Diaz out of their game vs the Cubs for sticky hands, costing him a 10 game suspension, recently allowed a Cubs pitcher to wash his sticky hands so that he could continue to pitch.

IIRC, the league addressed this issue at the time of the Diaz suspension. If the umps feel the offense is marginal, they are empowered to let the pitcher off with a warning and a washing. In Diaz's case, they thought the offense was egregious enough to warrant suspension.

IIRC, the league addressed this issue at the time of the Diaz suspension. If the umps feel the offense is marginal, they are empowered to let the pitcher off with a warning and a washing. In Diaz's case, they thought the offense was egregious enough to warrant suspension.
That's a really crappy process/rule and leaves way too much to subjectivity and the particular umpiring crew, IMO.
How about first offense, washing. Second and later offenses, suspension. None of this "apple judging" nonsense as to the gravity of the offense.

Last edited:
this is why i said earlier i think the mets need to go around 21-10 in their last 31... one down, good win last night. i think they need to go 20-10 and hope the braves slow down slightly, but we're still 3 games back, the braves don't lose in september (and august apparently)
Back in June, I thought 85-86 wins would be enough to grab a WC spot. I think that number is closer to 90 now.

To reach 90, the Mets would need to go 21-9 AND hope for worse than 15-15 from ARZ, 14-14 from SD or worse than 18-12 from ATL.

They've played well enough to go 5-3 so far in this tough stretch vs. BAL, SD and ARZ and have lost ground in the WC race. I'd like to see them split the next 2 vs. ARZ and sweep the miserable CHW. Get back home at 73-64. If the Braves go 2-3 in MIN and PHI over the next 5 days, the Mets find themselves just 1 game back heading into the final month.

Back in June, I thought 85-86 wins would be enough to grab a WC spot. I think that number is closer to 90 now.

To reach 90, the Mets would need to go 21-9 AND hope for worse than 15-15 from ARZ, 14-14 from SD or worse than 18-12 from ATL.

They've played well enough to go 5-3 so far in this tough stretch vs. BAL, SD and ARZ and have lost ground in the WC race. I'd like to see them split the next 2 vs. ARZ and sweep the miserable CHW. Get back home at 73-64. If the Braves go 2-3 in MIN and PHI over the next 5 days, the Mets find themselves just 1 game back heading into the final month.
And Mets fans were crowing about how easy their post All Star Break schedule was set up. . . . Mets found out that even the "bad" teams get better, go on winning streaks.

That's a really crappy process/rule and leaves way too much to subjectivity and the particular umpiring crew, IMO.
How about first offense, washing. Second and later offenses, suspension. None of this "apple judging" nonsense as to the gravity of the offense.
It is open to subjectivity but i think we can all imagine a scenario where someone has clearly gone overboard.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I don't know what Steele's hand looked like, but Diaz's hand looked like it was just removed from a honey jar. I'm surprised he was able to let go of the ball.

More help from the Twins. Gonna fall to 4 back unless they have a?rally in them.
Fairies grant wishes. Now they have to hold.

yK7l2Mb.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT