ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

As poor as the starting pitching was last night the offense was equally terrible. 2 hits while striking out 14 times. The part of the game I watched before turning it off at 6-0 I saw very little solid contact. Has to be like 4 times being shut out this month alone. Truly feast or famine.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Party Ball GIF by Lindt_aus

I was gonna post that I dont think one run is gonna stand up in this game so I hope we don't come to lament that missed opportunity to get more in that 1st inning. But Lindor took care of that. What a big blow with 2 outs.

I was gonna post that I dont think one run is gonna stand up in this game so I hope we don't come to lament that missed opportunity to get more in that 1st inning. But Lindor took care of that. What a big blow with 2 outs.
I kind of like this guy…

Peterson has really matured and developed as a pitcher this year. Prior to this season he may have well imploded in an inning like that 5th where they got their one run. I think he has a rotation spot locked in for next season also.
Starting to remind me of Wheeler before we let the Phillies get him

Not the same type of pitcher as he's not a power pitcher and rarely reaches over 95 mph but he definitely has upside. I think in the past his problems were largely between the ears and needing to trust his stuff and stop nibbling.
And the hip injury that plagued him over the last year few seasons. He had hip surgery and he now has greater flexibility and mobility as a pitcher.

It’s not often you get outhit and still with by 6. 7 runs on 5 hits is also an anomaly. All Lindor and Peterson last night.

He has been the Mets best pitcher this season and that's including Seve
Stat wise it's not much of a debate, the only knock against him would be the lack of innings pitched. Manaea probably has the edge on Sev's though.

Peterson getting better as the season has gone on as well. ERA coming down, IP/start going up.(though I am almost assuredly calling the top here, as he's pitched to a 1.71 era in Aug)

His assertion into the starting rotation, to decent enough results through June, also allowed the Mets to move Butto to the pen, which obviously has been huge for the team.

It’s not often you get outhit and still with by 6. 7 runs on 5 hits is also an anomaly. All Lindor and Peterson last night.
Ya, didn't watch, just checked the box score and was underwhelmed by the contributions of our 2-9 hitters.

But love seeing the team get W's in a game like that.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
More on the bullpen.

Since moving to the pen at the start of July, Butto has made 14 relief appearances to something like a 1.4 era. The Mets have won 13 of those games.

Butto's assertion into the bullpen also closely followed the return and reemergence of Diaz whose ERA is also somewhere in the low 1's since he came back in June.

From an absolute disaster for a stretch the bullpen has really settled down, anchored by these two guys.

Last edited:
Spew nonsense, deal with the consequences
Dear Ms Lindor :

Guess once a stalker - always a stalker !

I’m sure all 10 people who read this thread are grateful that you manage the Compliance Unit for this thread !😂

Please tell your husband he’s having a great year !

• Haha
Blackburn placed on the IL. Brazoban back up as the corresponding move.
Who takes Blackburn’s spot in the rotation ?

Megill or Butto or someone else ?

My guess : Megill and it’s Alka seltzer time !

Or would it be too much to ask to promote Sproat albeit he’s struggling at AAA

I always think there’s an advantage for the pitcher when hitters have never seen him before.

You just knew the bullpen couldn’t hold this lead. I hate walks to 9 hitter more than anything. 2 solo home runs isn’t gonna get it done

Diaz is not close to what he used to be. He’s a crap shoot but Buto lost this game by being behind every hitter

Last edited:
Reactions: shields
Diaz is not close to what he used to be. He’s a crap shoot but Buto lost this game by behind behind every hitter
He's been lights out since his conversion to a role he had never pitched in before. Not gonna have it every time though. Just have to be competitive in Arizona and hope that the Braves will lose some to Minnesita before we get to the White Sox. I admit that the margin for error is shrinking. Can't fall like 5 games behind in the loss column with less than 30 games to play because that would be very hard to overcome.

Here it is. We play at Arizona for 3 before traveling to Chicago to play the White Sox. While in Chicago the Braves will be in Philadelphia for 4. We just need to stay within close strike distance until then and then sweep the White Sox and hope the Philthies can redeem themselves in our eyes and take 3 of 4 vs Atlanta. They have been very good at home. I say that realizing that we sometimes play our worst against some of the worst teams. But absolutely cannot do that now. It can't be all Lindor and Vientos. Some other guys need to produce.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeapinLou
More on the bullpen.

Since moving to the pen at the start of July, Butto has made 14 relief appearances to something like a 1.4 era. The Mets have won 13 of those games.

Butto's assertion into the bullpen also closely followed the return and reemergence of Diaz whose ERA is also somewhere in the low 1's since he came back in June.

From an absolute disaster for a stretch the bullpen has really settled down, anchored by these two guys.
Colpa mia

5 outs away from an incredible series turns into a disastrous loss.
I watched the whole game. The middle infield defense by the Mets was amazing. When they got through the 7th, I was feeling pretty good. But when Butto walked the guy in the 8th (better to give up a HR in that situation) I knew it was curtains.

Still time but yesterday was a grim reminder that even if we make the playoffs, we're not making any noise. There are five teams in the NL that are clearly better. And we're only in this situation because the Braves are ravaged.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT