ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

I think in that situation it is fine. He could probably tell as soon as he made contact that the game was over and it was a walk-off. Many guys would have reacted the same way. We loved it when RHJ did virtually the same thing out at IU.
Considering the slump he had been in, he was probably relieved and overcome with the emotion of the moment. He's young, and he's human. It's also a game. Have some fun!

I kept watching the replay and to me, it looked like he did step on the edge of the plate. But it doesn't hurt to make sure.

Alvarez had a crazy personality during the at bat. Did you see him shaking his head after the third pitch missed? He was really jacked up. Then when he hit the 4th pitch, he started celebrating rather than run the bases. It all worked out, but man, it would have been brutal if the wind knocked it down and hit the wall for a long single. But I guess these guys are all millionaires and showboaters. There are no Don Drysdales to keep them in check.
Good thing none of the players coming out of the dugout to celebrate touched him. He would have been called out as a result.

• Haha
Reactions: Rutgers NJ
I got a chuckle out of I believe Gary asking whether to give Alvarez the green light on 3-0 and either Ron, Keith or both emphatically said no.
Given how cold Alvarez had been, I agree that the take sign was in order. Had he popped up, and if the Mets had eventually lost, Mendoza would have been second guessed on this board and elsewhere.

Reactions: RUfinally2008

Better angle - looks like left foot clips it to me
If hypothetically he had missed the plate, and if the ump had managed to see it between the mass of bodies, it would have been an appeal play. I doubt anyone on the Orioles was paying attention. The players were all leaving the field. Once they do, the umps will leave the field and that is that. If they try to appeal at that point (perhaps because they saw a TV replay), it's too late.

Reactions: FrankZ
has been awful last 3 starts
And not off to the best start tonight

James F-in McCann

Last edited:
Just a bad game all the way around with the exception of the bottom of the 8th. Now 3 back in the loss column with only 36 to play and headed on a difficult road trip

Missed most of the game. The Athletic hammered the Mets for their horrific fielding last night. Pissing all over Quintana, but what about the fielding?

combined%20Mets%20errors.gif

"Both were costly errors, but the boof from Brandon Nimmo on a routine flyball unleashed a display of errors seen more at the Little League level than here. Two runs scored and the game was put away.

The Mets are 2 1/2 games out of the playoff picture. Losing games like that won’t help."

Yakkity Sax would fit:

Who's on home?

• Haha
Reactions: LeapinLou
August 20 Mets Farm Report (Top 30 Prospects per MLB Pipeline)

AVG/OPS or E.R.A (W-L) (S)

1. Brandon Sproat RHP (AAA Syracuse) - DNP
  2. Jett Williams SS/CF (AA Binghamton) - Injured - Rehab Shortly
  3. Drew Gilbert OF (AAA Syracuse) - 0/3, K, .204/.577
  4. Ryan Clifford OF/1B (AA Binghamton) - 1/3, R, RBI, BB, .224/.808
  5. Carson Benge OF (Low A St. Lucie) - 1/3, R, BB, K, .375/1.018
  6. Ronny Mauricio 2B/SS/OF (NY Mets) - Injured; Out for Season
  7. Jeremy Rodriguez SS (Rookie FCL Mets) - Season Complete
  8. Blade Tidwell RHP (AAA Syracuse) - DNP
  9. Nolan McLean RHP (AA Binghamton) - 6.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 5 K, 0 HR, 4.48, W(1-8)
  10. Jonah Tong RHP (High A Brooklyn) - DNP
  11. Jonathan Santucci LHP (Rookie FCL Mets) - Season Complete
  12. Luisangel Acuna SS/2B (AAA Syracuse) - 0/3, BB, K, .263/.676
  13. Marco Vargas INF (Low A St. Lucie) - 0/4, .216/.586
  14. Jesus Baez SS/3B (High A Brooklyn) - Injured
  15. Dominic Hamel RHP (AAA Syracuse) - 5.0 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 5 K, 0 HR, 6.51
  16. Boston Baro SS/3B (Low A St. Lucie) - 3/4, R, K, .286/.760
  17. Trey Snyder SS/3B (Rookie FCL Mets) - Season Complete
  18. Mike Vasil RHP (AAA Syracuse) - DNP
  19. Nick Morabito OF (High A Brooklyn) - 2/4, R, 2 BB, K, 2 SB(41), .284/.712
  20. Jacob Reimer 3B/1B (High A Brooklyn) - DNP
  21. Colin Houck SS (Low A St. Lucie) - 0/3, RBI, .206/.614
  22. Nate Dohm RHP (Rookie FCL Mets) - Season Complete
  23. Daiverson Gutierrez C (Rookie FCL Mets) - Season Complete
  24. Ronald Hernandez C/1B (Low A St. Lucie) - 1/4, RBI, K, .271/.720
  25. Kevin Parada C (AA Binghamton) - 0/3, BB, .211/.662
  26. Alex Ramirez OF (AA Binghamton) - 1/4, 3B(3), 2 RBI, K, .217/.614
  27. Edward Lantigua OF (DSL Mets Orange) - 0/1, BB, K, SB(9), .263/.792
  28. Yovanny Rodriguez C (DSL Mets Orange) - 3/5, 3B(3), 2 R, 3 RBI, .219/.715
  29. A.J. Ewing OF/2B (Low A St. Lucie) - 2/4, 2B(8), R, K, .205/.626
  30. Jack Wenninger RHP (High A Brooklyn) - 5.2 IP, 6 H, 6 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 6 K, 0 HR, 2.90
Honorable Mention

• Luke Ritter IF/OF (AAA Syracuse) - 0/3, BB, 2 K, .264/.882
  • Joander Suarez RHP (AA Binghamton) - DNP
  • Wilkin Ramos RHP (AA Binghamton) - DNP

Reactions: Knight Shift
Missed most of the game. The Athletic hammered the Mets for their horrific fielding last night. Pissing all over Quintana, but what about the fielding?

combined%20Mets%20errors.gif

"Both were costly errors, but the boof from Brandon Nimmo on a routine flyball unleashed a display of errors seen more at the Little League level than here. Two runs scored and the game was put away.

The Mets are 2 1/2 games out of the playoff picture. Losing games like that won’t help."

Yakkity Sax would fit:

Who's on home?

After seeing these lowlights, I'm really glad I had plans last night and missed the entire thing.
They split these first two against the Os. They need to go 4-3 in these next 7 tough games if they want to be taken seriously as a playoff team. Winning a home game today would be fairly important.

After seeing these lowlights, I'm really glad I had plans last night and missed the entire thing.
They split these first two against the Os. They need to go 4-3 in these next 7 tough games if they want to be taken seriously as a playoff team. Winning a home game today would be fairly important.
I'm starting to prepare for the worst for them- to wind up 1 or 2 games short of the last wild card spot. Somewhere above @Doctor Worm said it well, they are at best an 87ish (or was it 85) win team. They have flaws, and they win in spurts. It's been season that has been fun at times and frustrating at others.

I'm starting to prepare for the worst for them- to wind up 1 or 2 games short of the last wild card spot. Somewhere above @Doctor Worm said it well, they are at best an 87ish (or was it 85) win team. They have flaws, and they win in spurts. It's been season that has been fun at times and frustrating at others.
The fact that the Braves are so badly ravaged by injuries, combined with nobody else being good enough to get a stranglehold on that last wild card, gives me hope. But unless they had Senga to go with Peterson, they would get hammered in the playoffs.

The fact that the Braves are so badly ravaged by injuries, combined with nobody else being good enough to get a stranglehold on that last wild card, gives me hope. But unless they had Senga to go with Peterson, they would get hammered in the playoffs.
To me its more of a worry that the Braves have been relegated to picking guys up off the street to put a lineup together. Yet even while playing the schedule we have this month before the O's we still haven't been able to overtake them and have actually now lost ground.

Even though Pete and McNeil have had a down year- I still hope we can lock Pete up- I kind of like the idea of Alvarez, Pete, McNeil, Lindor, Vientos for a few years

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT