ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

"Yeah we're excited. We did what we needed to do in LA and now we get to go back home in front of our fans and Citi is gonna be rocking." Flop. Fans waited 9 years for this? Have given them nothing to cheer about.

That disappointing inning out of the way... You went six for six! Hernandez of course makes seven.

The other three Gold Glovers are:

* The most recent GG winner.
* A very famous Met, fairly recent
* An obscure Met from the dark ages, best known for a trade he was involved in.
Immediately upon reading bullet three, I thought Doug Flynn. Which of course made me think of Pat Zachry, Steve Henderson, Dan Norman, and what the hell was M Donald Grant doing.

Did Cespedes get one? Did we already say Lagares?

Reactions: Doctor Worm
Shake It Off GIF by FOUR PAWS

Darling won some. So did Wright. Probably Ordonez. Harrelson may have gotten one or two. Agee? Ventura? Not sure of other guesses.
When I looked it up I def saw Darling and Harrelson and Agee. Agee was the one I forgot and Harrelson was the one I first thought of but dismissed for who-knows-why. Pretty sure I saw Ordonez too... but I began to slip away from the Mets, and baseball, after the Mets decimated their roster after 1986... presumably having paid for the title, they wanted to cash in.. I assumed. How you could not try to keep that team together.. criminal.

Mendoza is a big reason we made it to this point, but may be one of the reasons we won’t go on. Schiano level stubbornness re Alvarez.
But in addition - our magic may have run out. The Dodgers are clearly more talented and have a better bullpen and lineup. Severino at this point in his career is not who you’d ideally throw out in a game three.
But…if we can pull off the next two games who knows what will happen.

Mendoza is a big reason we made it to this point, but may be one of the reasons we won’t go on. Schiano level stubbornness re Alvarez.
But in addition - our magic may have run out. The Dodgers are clearly more talented and have a better bullpen and lineup. Severino at this point in his career is not who you’d ideally throw out in a game three.
But…if we can pull off the next two games who knows what will happen.
Mets lose 8-0 playing with a hobbled Nimmo, 4 hits, 4 walks and 8 LOB, while LA has 10 LOB and the lack of offense is in Alvarez and Mendoza?
Severino gave up 2 runs and the bullpen gave up 6 runs, and Severino was the problem?

You could have just said the Dodgers are clearly the more talented team. Mets bullpen is an Achilles heel and a streaky, inconsistent offense will not beat Los Angeles in a seven game series unless something magical happens.

Mets lose 8-0 playing with a hobbled Nimmo, 4 hits, 4 walks and 8 LOB, while LA has 10 LOB and the lack of offense is in Alvarez and Mendoza?
Severino gave up 2 runs and the bullpen gave up 6 runs, and Severino was the problem?

You could have just said the Dodgers are clearly the more talented team. Mets bullpen is an Achilles heel and a streaky, inconsistent offense will not beat Los Angeles in a seven game series unless something magical happens.
Severino walked too many guys and his pitch count was way too high - the reason we had to go to the bullpen. He couldn’t even get us out of the fifth.
Alvarez is a huge problem. Stupid mistake on the throw to second and striking out all the times he was io, including with the bases loaded and less than two outs. There is no logical empirical reason why he should not get a day off.

Reactions: FrankZ
Severino walked too many guys and his pitch count was way too high - the reason we had to go to the bullpen. He couldn’t even get us out of the fifth.
Alvarez is a huge problem. Stupid mistake on the throw to second and striking out all the times he was io, including with the bases loaded and less than two outs. There is no logical empirical reason why he should not get a day off.
These are not the reasons Mets lost 8-0. The bullpen gave up 6 runs, and not a single on base from Lindor, Alonso and 13 Ks. Anything else about last night is just typical Mets fan idle whining and why this thread is 10X longer than the Yankees and Phillies threads.

Buehler only pitched 4 innings. Their bullpen held up because it is solid and Mets have a streaky offense that fell asleep.

These are not the reasons Mets lost 8-0. The bullpen gave up 6 runs, and not a single on base from Lindor, Alonso and 13 Ks. Anything else about last night is just typical Mets fan idle whining and why this thread is 10X longer than the Yankees and Phillies threads.

Buehler only pitched 4 innings. Their bullpen held up because it is solid and Mets have a streaky offense that fell asleep.
I’m not discounting any of what you’re saying. As I said in my initial post - the dodgers are more talented. But Severino had a chance to get out of the second with far less or no damage, and we ha d a chance to get back in it. Lindor was the man in game 2. Alvarez has done jack shit in the playoffs, and last night he hurt us offensively and defensively.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Immediately upon reading bullet three, I thought Doug Flynn. Which of course made me think of Pat Zachry, Steve Henderson, Dan Norman, and what the hell was M Donald Grant doing.

Did Cespedes get one? Did we already say Lagares?
Yes on Flynn and Lagares. No on Cespedes.

So far we have identified 9 of the 10 Met Gold Glovers:

Darling
Hernandez
Flynn
Harrelson
Ordonez
Ventura
Wright
Agee
Lagares

The other is a well renowned OF who has his detractors, for a couple of different reasons.

I dont think McNeil will be around next season. Not that I think Iglesias is the full season answer at 2B either. And at least JD is in his waning days as a Met.
McNeil has two years left at $15.75M per. It will likely cost the Mets $20M to dispense with him. I think he stays at least next year. Maybe in the Kelly Johnson role, getting 400 plate appearances. Would he be happy in that role? No. Would Stearns and Mendoza care? Doubt it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT