ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

Walker starting game 3
Need to get him out early

Ferris Buellers Day Off GIF

Iglesias may be tired. A few days off might do him good. McNeil should play game three. 50/50 on Torrens replacing Alvarez in game 3 as well. Would like to know Severino’s era with both catchers.

I'm pretty confident McNeil will get the start, but the squad seems to be locked in with playing Alvarez. Ready for him to sit a game too - feeble popups are penned in every time now.

I'm going on Wednesday and will be bringing my 7 year old. We're both beyond pumped up! Question for the group who may have been to one of the recent playoff games regarding transportation. I'm leaving from the Red Bank area. It's a long slog to get there. What do you think is my best option based on the 8pm start and Red Bank to Citi commute:

1.) Drive from Red Bank to Citi and pay for cash parking, thinking Lot E? I realize the traffic will be awful, and the lots will be jammed. Could be a long time getting into a lot and then getting out, especially at 11pm with a 7 year old. Are all lots cash lots? Do i need a parking pass? How bad have the lots been getting into/out? Drive time right now showing about 2 hours, would expect more with traffic.

2.) Drive to Secaucus (about 1 hour), train to Penn about 20 mins, LIRR from Penn to Citi, about 20 mins. Pretty reliable from Secaucus to Penn and then Penn to Citi... will be a long drive to Secaucus but no stadium traffic or parking lots to deal with. Not sure how jammed the trains and the train station at Citi has been?

3.) Train from Red Bank to Penn, LIRR from Penn to Citi. Would take a 4:58 from RB, get to Penn by 6:25, then a 6:37 from Penn to Citi by 7. This is probably the longest option, and getting back from Penn there is either a 10:35 which i probably wouldn't catch, or an 11:45 which gets into Red Bank at 1:20 am!!

Any tips or advice? I'm leaning option 1 or 2... i figure my kid could sleep in the car home on either driving option...

I'm going on Wednesday and will be bringing my 7 year old. We're both beyond pumped up! Question for the group who may have been to one of the recent playoff games regarding transportation. I'm leaving from the Red Bank area. It's a long slog to get there. What do you think is my best option based on the 8pm start and Red Bank to Citi commute:

1.) Drive from Red Bank to Citi and pay for cash parking, thinking Lot E? I realize the traffic will be awful, and the lots will be jammed. Could be a long time getting into a lot and then getting out, especially at 11pm with a 7 year old. Are all lots cash lots? Do i need a parking pass? How bad have the lots been getting into/out? Drive time right now showing about 2 hours, would expect more with traffic.

2.) Drive to Secaucus (about 1 hour), train to Penn about 20 mins, LIRR from Penn to Citi, about 20 mins. Pretty reliable from Secaucus to Penn and then Penn to Citi... will be a long drive to Secaucus but no stadium traffic or parking lots to deal with. Not sure how jammed the trains and the train station at Citi has been?

3.) Train from Red Bank to Penn, LIRR from Penn to Citi. Would take a 4:58 from RB, get to Penn by 6:25, then a 6:37 from Penn to Citi by 7. This is probably the longest option, and getting back from Penn there is either a 10:35 which i probably wouldn't catch, or an 11:45 which gets into Red Bank at 1:20 am!!

Any tips or advice? I'm leaning option 1 or 2... i figure my kid could sleep in the car home on either driving option...
I would go with 3 or option 4:

4) Train from Metropark (Iselin) to Penn, LIRR to Citi.--Best way to go IMO. North Jersey Coast Line is torture to me. Think parking at Metropark is $5, and there is plenty of it.

05:25 PM

Depart METROPARK

06:09 PM

Arrive NEW YORK PENN STATION

Reactions: toby83

4) Train from Metropark (Iselin) to Penn, LIRR to Citi.--Best way to go IMO. North Jersey Coast Line is torture to me. Think parking at Metropark is $5, and there is plenty of it.

Depart METROPARK

#4 is good - Metropark is right off the Parkway and it's a direct train into NYP.

Depart METROPARK

Great idea i didn't think of! thanks i'll look into metropark vs. secaucus now, thanks

Yeah #4 is what I would always do (but usually leave from New Brunswick). Looks like they added a 1:22 am departure from Penn which is critical. Last game I went to was the Cespedes monstrous jack game in NLDS Game 3 vs LAD in 2015. Had to leave by like the 8th inning which was an extreme bummer (when I can only get to like a game a decade now) to catch the last train.

Reactions: Knight Shift

Bring a blanket or something for the little one. It's gonna get chilly and you don't want them clamoring to leave or for you to feel like you need to get them back in the car before the game ends.

Reactions: gmay8
Bring a blanket or something for the little one. It's gonna get chilly and you don't want them clamoring to leave or for you to feel like you need to get them back in the car before the game ends.
Agree with this. I always remember my mother insisting I wear long johns for a game in September at Shea when I was 10 or 11. I was the only one warm.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Yeah #4 is what I would always do (but usually leave from New Brunswick). Looks like they added a 1:22 am departure from Penn which is critical. Last game I went to was the Cespedes monstrous jack game in NLDS Game 3 vs LAD in 2015. Had to leave by like the 8th inning which was an extreme bummer (when I can only get to like a game a decade now) to catch the last train.
I too was at that game! I too left in the 8th inning with the score 13-4 (it ended 13-7).

We wanted to be sure we didn't HAVE to leave early. So we parked in Newark (I live in North Jersey) across from Newark Penn, and took the train from there. This put the PATH trains into play, which run 24 hours.

Reactions: FrankZ

You might consider taking NJT from Metropark instead of Red Bank. More trains with less stops to NYC. Parking is readily availabile and costs $7z

I did this — taking NJT then LIRR to Mets game earlier this season. Be sure to download LIRR app in advance.

Not expecting a home sweep, but I think Game 3 is mandatory.

This feels like the path to victory to me:
- Game 3: Must win
- Game 4/5: Split. I don't think a sweep is feasible with Yams/Flaherty.
- Game 6: Repeat of Gm 2. Get it done

My opinion Mets gave away game one on a roll of the dice, win the series and Mets and their fans won’t have to dwell all winter on what if.

Only one issue with McNeil and Alvarez 7/9 or 8-9 . Pitcher can get out of an inning on 7 pitchers. Mets MUST work pitchers and force dodgers to over use bullpen.

My opinion Mets gave away game one on a roll of the dice, win the series and Mets and their fans won’t have to dwell all winter on what if.
Rolling the dice again in G1 with Senga didn't bother me, I actually was right there with it - Flaherty pitched lights out and one can assume we would have blown a Manaea game with a very feasible loss. If they start him again in G5, I'll have an issue.

Get back to LA at 3-2, and we'll have Manaea lined up one more time against their bullpen.

Severino is the only Mets finalist for a gold glove.
Lindor's snub is a bit of a shocker. The three finalists were Dansby Swanson (Cubs), Ezequiel Tovar (Rockies), and Masyn Winn (Cardinals). Winn is a sexy choice but not deserving IMO. He makes the highlight reel plays, but is not always money on the routine ones.

On the topic of Gold Glove - in their history, the Mets have had only 10 Gold Glove winners. They range from the obvious to the obscure. How many can you name?

Not expecting a home sweep, but I think Game 3 is mandatory.

This feels like the path to victory to me:
- Game 3: Must win
- Game 4/5: Split. I don't think a sweep is feasible with Yams/Flaherty.
- Game 6: Repeat of Gm 2. Get it done
Let's see if those LA pitchers can do as well on those cold NYC nights. It won't be anything like LA or San Diego

Only one issue with McNeil and Alvarez 7/9 or 8-9 . Pitcher can get out of an inning on 7 pitchers. Mets MUST work pitchers and force dodgers to over use bullpen.

Mets were shut out in game one. Whether the dice came up sevens or snake eyes would not have mattered.

I know this is a contrarian opinion, but I think working pitch counts is overrated. I'd rather knock the starting pitcher out of the game. Get into the bullpen that way.

A few takeaways from Mendoza's presser today:

* Good chance that Martinez will DH tomorrow.
* Quintana confirmed as Wednesday Game 4 starter.
* Noncommittal about Senga as Game 5 starter. "We'll see."

My opinion is partly based on Flaherty saying the pressure of playoffs got to him in first start in playoffs

0-0 in the 5th Winker doesn’t make that base running error. Who knows after that .

Win tomorrow and put all the pressure on the da hers

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
Long time Mets fan rooting for the skanks to be eliminated

This site is a ****ing joke refreshing every 3 minutes. I don’t usually post in this bubble of 30~ people

Last edited:
Good discussion. Getting two of the next 3 and closing it out in game 6 works for me.

Replacing Iglesias and Alvarez with McNeil and Torrenz for one game would have been OK with me. Looks like it's not happening today.

Reactions: FrankZ
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT