ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

Yes on Flynn and Lagares. No on Cespedes.

So far we have identified 9 of the 10 Met Gold Glovers:

Darling
Hernandez
Flynn
Harrelson
Ordonez
Ventura
Wright
Agee
Lagares

The other is a well renowned OF who has his detractors, for a couple of different reasons.
So hard to believe Grote never won it.

Stating the obvious:
Really need to get the bats going. Letting too many fastballs pass and swinging at too much off speed junk.
Really need to cut down, or better yet eliminate the walks from the pitching staff. I know Ohtani and Betts are tough, but can't be walking the bottom of the order guys

Reactions: Knight Shift
Stating the obvious:
Really need to get the bats going. Letting too many fastballs pass and swinging at too much off speed junk.
Really need to cut down, or better yet eliminate the walks from the pitching staff. I know Ohtani and Betts are tough, but can't be walking the bottom of the order guys
Agree totally on the bats. From today's story in The Athletic (paywalled).

"The Mets have scored seven runs in three games; the majority of which came home on one Mark Vientos swing."

"For the series, the Mets are hitting .179 with a .292 on-base percentage and .555 OPS. Those numbers would be a slump for Rey Ordoñez."

Ding, ding, ding.

The constant focus on Alvarez and Severino is completely misplaced, just like the player who the object of many fans' hatred last year--a very small part of the the problem with the team, but glossing over the bigger problem. Face it, the entire offense has sucked.

Yes on Flynn and Lagares. No on Cespedes.

So far we have identified 9 of the 10 Met Gold Glovers:

Darling
Hernandez
Flynn
Harrelson
Ordonez
Ventura
Wright
Agee
Lagares

The other is a well renowned OF who has his detractors, for a couple of different reasons.
Dave Kingman, of course.

Kidding, I'd guess Beltran (a great Met).

Did anyone hear why Mendoza played Martinez instead of Winker last night against a righty? Clearly, he couldn't have been any worse.

I would have also put lefty McNeil in over Iglesias. But Iglesias hit the ball hard so I can't second guess that one.

A lot of us also felt Alvarez was in a funk and needed an extra day to watch from the bench. Clearly, Torrenz could not have possibly done worse.

That said, in important games, I prefer being blown out to losing a heartbreaker. If they win today, the margins don't matter. All that will matter is two games a piece. If we get 6 quality innings from Quintana and some offense, you have Maton, the hippie, and Sugar all fresh to hold a lead.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
Did anyone hear why Mendoza played Martinez instead of Winker last night against a righty? Clearly, he couldn't have been any worse.

I would have also put lefty McNeil in over Iglesias. But Iglesias hit the ball hard so I can't second guess that one.

A lot of us also felt Alvarez was in a funk and needed an extra day to watch from the bench. Clearly, Torrenz could not have possibly done worse.

That said, in important games, I prefer being blown out to losing a heartbreaker. If they win today, the margins don't matter. All that will matter is two games a piece. If we get 6 quality innings from Quintana and some offense, you have Maton, the hippie, and Sugar all fresh to hold a lead.
Yeah I had a problem with 1/3 of the lineup yesterday and made that clear multiple times and before the game started.

From tweets, "Martinez helped get us here" yadda yadda. Aint buying it. He was abysmal down the stretch and took one of the worst 0fers in Mets history. He had no business being in that lineup yesterday, and neither did Alvarez. Iffy McNeil instead of Iglesias was debatable.

Reactions: nutfromSEC117

Well, don’t expect much to change for Game 4. Yoshinobu Yamamoto, the Dodgers’ other splashy signing from the offseason, is set to start Thursday, and the right-hander has actually fared better against left-handed batters, holding them to a .526 OPS (.744 OPS against right-handed batters). So, Mendoza said, “I would anticipate our righties to be in the lineup tomorrow.”

Translation: That probably means more of J.D. Martinez at designated hitter (not Jesse Winker), more of Iglesias at second base (not McNeil) and more of Starling Marte in right field (not Winker or McNeil).

And don’t look for a change at catcher, either; Mendoza announced after the loss that Alvarez would start Thursday, despite continuing his slump and adding a defensive miscue with a throwing error during a two-run second inning.

And from Mendoza’s perspective, there wasn’t much of a decision to be made.

“Iglesias has been one of our best hitters with runners in scoring position all year,” Mendoza said. “He had an infield single, nice line drive right at Mookie (Betts). So I don’t think that was a conversation. For the guys behind him, maybe. The lefties were ready. But not for Iglesias, knowing they had the lefty ready there
.”

Paywalled:

Reactions: LeapinLou
Yeah I had a problem with 1/3 of the lineup yesterday and made that clear multiple times and before the game started.

From tweets, "Martinez helped get us here" yadda yadda. Aint buying it. He was abysmal down the stretch and took one of the worst 0fers in Mets history. He had no business being in that lineup yesterday, and neither did Alvarez. Iffy McNeil instead of Iglesias was debatable.
Winker May be hurt (back) and couldn’t go? Only reason I could see him not starting DH yesterday. He didn’t even pinch hit so maybe not available.

Well, don’t expect much to change for Game 4. Yoshinobu Yamamoto, the Dodgers’ other splashy signing from the offseason, is set to start Thursday, and the right-hander has actually fared better against left-handed batters, holding them to a .526 OPS (.744 OPS against right-handed batters). So, Mendoza said, “I would anticipate our righties to be in the lineup tomorrow.”

Translation: That probably means more of J.D. Martinez at designated hitter (not Jesse Winker), more of Iglesias at second base (not McNeil) and more of Starling Marte in right field (not Winker or McNeil).

And don’t look for a change at catcher, either; Mendoza announced after the loss that Alvarez would start Thursday, despite continuing his slump and adding a defensive miscue with a throwing error during a two-run second inning.

And from Mendoza’s perspective, there wasn’t much of a decision to be made.

“Iglesias has been one of our best hitters with runners in scoring position all year,” Mendoza said. “He had an infield single, nice line drive right at Mookie (Betts). So I don’t think that was a conversation. For the guys behind him, maybe. The lefties were ready. But not for Iglesias, knowing they had the lefty ready there
.”

Paywalled:

isnt this sort of only half the analytics? What are JD/OMG vs Winker/Jeff numbers against righties?

Agree totally on the bats. From today's story in The Athletic (paywalled).

"The Mets have scored seven runs in three games; the majority of which came home on one Mark Vientos swing."

"For the series, the Mets are hitting .179 with a .292 on-base percentage and .555 OPS. Those numbers would be a slump for Rey Ordoñez."

Ding, ding, ding.

The constant focus on Alvarez and Severino is completely misplaced, just like the player who the object of many fans' hatred last year--a very small part of the the problem with the team, but glossing over the bigger problem. Face it, the entire offense has sucked.

Being outscored big in 2 loses means dick. First one to 4 victories is all that matters. Ask the 1960 Yankees how that mattered against the Pirates. They outscored the Pirates 56-27 and lost in 7 games on Bill Maz walk off HR

Last edited:
Reactions: LeapinLou
we are down 2-1 games...the scores mean almost nothing.

One team had to be up 2-1 even if it is an equal matchup. Tonight is the big game. And like I said after game 1- doesn't matter in baseball if the score is 9-0 or 6-4 in a loss, it has nothing to do with the next game.

Season 5 No GIF by The Office

• Haha
I don't know. It's like Bader and Alvarez are guaranteed outs. Then throw in Martinez chasing balls that break a foot outside and I'm not seeing a lineup capable of having a rally. I'm stating the obvious but we need a big game from Pete tonight.

I don't know. It's like Bader and Alvarez are guaranteed outs. Then throw in Martinez chasing balls that break a foot outside and I'm not seeing a lineup capable of having a rally. I'm stating the obvious but we need a big game from Pete tonight.
By far the biggest problem is that the Dodgers are more talented.

Reactions: Ronnie_B
The Gold Glove has always tended toward those who could hit too. If you're close and the other guy can't hit nearly as well, you'll get it.
agree with this...There are some exceptions but usually when it isn't close- a Buddy Harrelson, Mark Belanger, Paul Blair and even Ozzie Smith come to mind. And speaking of Smith -if he is in the HOF- K Hernandez should be too. just saying lol

Huge answer from Vientos after the real MVP hit his second home run in his last 2 at bats.

Our MVP is 1-12 in the series

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT