ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

Season 8 Wtf GIF by The Office

Would not be surprised if we do just that - but also sell a starter, most likely Severino. Stearns' job is to balance today and tomorrow.
Even at the worst of times this season, I never thought this was going to a throw away season and stated it multiple times. Cohen won't let that happen and Stearns is used to working with less cash than Cohen has available. We will be in the postseason. LGM!

Reactions: RUforJERSEY
I have to admit that while I thought they did everything possible to give the appearance that it wasn’t a throwaway- they were not all in.
And then, the horrific start and I sort of gave away the season in my head and figured this wouldn’t be a summer of worrying about the Mets too much.
That said- it have been very fun to watch the stars performing at a very high level- Lindor, Alonso, Nimmo. The gunslinger we brought in, JD, doing what he was brought here to do and the kids- Alvarez and Vientos- coming into their own.
What concerns me- there is never a game I go into that I feel we have a lockdown starter.
But, I see the playoffs and a possibility of a good run when we do.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
I have to admit that while I thought they did everything possible to give the appearance that it wasn’t a throwaway- they were not all in.
And then, the horrific start and I sort of gave away the season in my head and figured this wouldn’t be a summer of worrying about the Mets too much.
That said- it have been very fun to watch the stars performing at a very high level- Lindor, Alonso, Nimmo. The gunslinger we brought in, JD, doing what he was brought here to do and the kids- Alvarez and Vientos- coming into their own.
What concerns me- there is never a game I go into that I feel we have a lockdown starter.
But, I see the playoffs and a possibility of a good run when we do.
I'm joking a little, but Verlander or Scherzer part deux? There really aren't many appealing options out there.

If the team is still winning, there’s no way they trade Severino. That’d be malpractice.
Depends on how you define winning. If they level off (as I believe is inevitable), and hang around the periphery of the playoffs at .500, then Stearns has to listen to offers in what would likely be a seller's market. If he doesn't, well that would be malpractice.

Reactions: knightinaz
I hope- but coming off a long term injury.
Fair point. But you also have Scott waiting in the wings.

There aren't all that many frontline stoppers available. The few that are will be expensive.

You are correct that the Mets had not gone all in earlier this year. They still haven't. Nor will they. Nor should they. Because they just aren't that good. Just like they just weren't that bad.

Depends on how you define winning. If they level off (as I believe is inevitable), and hang around the periphery of the playoffs at .500, then Stearns has to listen to offers in what would likely be a seller's market. If he doesn't, well that would be malpractice.
We'll just have to disagree here, vehemently. There's no way that the Mets are trading their best starter while they are in the playoff race.

Reactions: rurichdog and RuSnp
Would not be surprised if we do just that - but also sell a starter, most likely Severino. Stearns' job is to balance today and tomorrow.
If we are buying for a playoff push to get RP, why are we selling Seve? Or do you mean- Stearns will sell to get RP? Confused.

If we are buying for a playoff push to get RP, why are we selling Seve? Or do you mean- Stearns will sell to get RP? Confused.
Stearns' obligation is to balance the present and the future. That could mean buying at positions of need, and selling at positions of surplus.

Granted, you don't do that if you are all in on the current year. But we are not all in on 2024, nor should we be.

I am not looking to unload Severino. But he is our most valuable tradable asset, even more so that Alonso IMO.

One of the best ways to protect your bullpen is have starters that can get into the later innings. Perhaps you don't need to trade for a bullpen arm if you keep Sevy and he can get you into the 6th or 7th regularly.

Trading a starter who get into the later innings to get a bullpen arm might not be necessary.

(i still want another bullpen arm, just don't want to trad Sevy)

We'll just have to disagree here, vehemently. There's no way that the Mets are trading their best starter while they are in the playoff race.
This is a better than .500 team. Will every month be as good as June? No. But I feel they can go toe to toe with about any team with their lineup. And if McNeil can truly rebound? Pitching is the ????

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
Stearns' obligation is to balance the present and the future. That could mean buying at positions of need, and selling at positions of surplus.

Granted, you don't do that if you are all in on the current year. But we are not all in on 2024, nor should we be.

I am not looking to unload Severino. But he is our most valuable tradable asset, even more so that Alonso IMO.
Still doesn't make sense- if we are buying- why are we buying if we are also selling our best pitcher? Seve or Alonso is 100% a giveup on the current team.

It makes sense (to me at least) to buy at a position of need, and sell at a position of surplus.
What you call surplus is not well above average. So selling off parts from that position plays into being competitive, but not too serious about making the playoffs. You're either pregnant or not. No such thing as a college try.

No front office that wants to remain the front office will trade its best starter in the middle of a playoff race. I can just see the press conference: you see, it's matter of balance . . .

No front office that wants to remain the front office will trade its best starter in the middle of a playoff race. I can just see the press conference: you see, it's matter of balance . . .
Do you seriously think David Stearns believes his job is in jeopardy?

I have no clue what he is or is not going to do. But I stand on my statement that he is concerned about this year AND future years.

Life is about striking the proper balance among competing objectives.

Plans were Senga and Scott replace Sevey and manea/qunitana. If all 3 go then Butto would be given last 8-10 starts of the season to see if he is part of the future.
The past few weeks most likely changed plans

Hold tight unless someone gives an over top offer for sevey at the deadline ????

Enough moves like that and it would start to be.

Baseball is competition. You are competing for the playoffs and then the championship, and you are charging fans to come and see it. And, while any good organization is always looking to improve its system, which is the lifeblood of the organization, selling off your best players in a playoff race is simply nuts and would be not caring about the fans or the season.

This board has an obsessions with midseason trades as the way to either create a championship contender or the way to build a system. It is neither. It is a tool that can be smartly used when the team needs something to get over the hump or to add chips to the system (not build it) when the season is lost.

Losing track of that would lead to boneheaded moves. Fortunately, Stearns isn't that guy. If we're in the playoff race, he's not trading Severino.

It makes sense (to me at least) to buy at a position of need, and sell at a position of surplus.
I am needing serous help on defining starting pitching as a surplus. It is one of our biggest weaknesses. We throw number 3&4 starters out there every day at best. If we are in a playoff run, we need an Ace, 2 guys tgat will be good 3/4 of the time and 2 guys that are solid.
You need to show me these guys plus a couple of extra to say surplus

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT