ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

Someone explain to me why you put in a AAA pitcher to pitch to Soto and Judge. Don’t care if score was 7-0

Do it against the bottom of the lineup but not against those 2 guys !

8v4vuz.jpg

Reactions: Doctor Worm
Anyone see KBee ?
Worst two-game series I can ever recall suffering through.
First Cole stumbles badly in his second effort back from injury. Then Gil goes from most dominant pitcher in MLB to the guy they sent down in the Spring. And suddenly only three guys in the lineup can hit.
Perhaps the trip to Toronto can help get things back to normal.
BTW, I can't recall ever bitching so much about a team that is in first place, with one of the best records in baseball halfway through the season.

First Cole stumbles badly in his second effort back from injury. Then Gil goes from most dominant pitcher in MLB to the guy they sent down in the Spring. And suddenly only three guys in the lineup can hit.
BTW, I can't recall ever bitching so much about a team that is in first place, with one of the best records in baseball halfway through the season.
I think the announcers nailed it with Gil- the league figured him out. You have to make him throw strikes.
BTW- there were so many pitches from both sides that the ump really missed the strike calls on.

Someone explain to me why you put in a AAA pitcher to pitch to Soto and Judge. Don’t care if score was 7-0

Do it against the bottom of the lineup but not against those 2 guys !
Therein lies the problem. The Mets are currently operating with a short bullpen (seven rather than eight). Of the seven, four are AAA pitchers: Garrett, Nunez, Young, and Adcock. None were considered prospects. All, other than the unknown Adcock, have overperformed relative to expectations. How sustainable that is, we shall see.

The only three established major leagues in the pen as currently constituted are:

Ottavino (persona non grata on this board)
Diekman (now a late inning guy)
Hauser (who got the three inning save).

Bullpen by committee. Mets have, or had, seven relievers with at least one save:

Diaz (suspended) - 7
Garrett - 3
Diekman - 3
Lopez (gone) - 2
Smith (IL) - 2
Ottavino - 1
Hauser - 1

Wasn't he going to be the 2nd Yankee pitcher in a row to start The All Star Game? LMFAO!!! Hey at least you showed your face on here which is more than the others that take such joy in the Mets misery. Has the moderators turned off the posting feature in the Yankees thread? Such front runners. 🤡

The three amigo D-bags are awfully quiet. Hope the Stankees sheet the bed and don't win the division. Miserable, haughty and ugly fans they have. Not every one of them--but they are like the really obnoxious Penn State fans. Nice to see them suffer.
Nice to see you're using "my" original tag line The 3 Amigos. Calling out The 3 Amigos in this thread was always an issue you had with me doing it,saying I was inviting those douche bags in here, but look who's buying in,nice to see and LFGM! PS. I also tagged The Dead Zone for lack of activity whenever Yankees shit the bed. It's a ghost town at the moment.😃

Last edited:
How quickly the worm can turn. from the legendary kbee. 😁
I almost feel sorry for Mets fans...almost.
I called a friend who is as big a Mets fan as there is the other day and I asked him what he thought of his team this year. He gave me the old "We're only a few games out of a playoff spot. Once you're in anything can happen".
I called him back this morning and all he said was "Baseball season is over. I'm focusing on the upcoming football season and my Jets".

I was away so sorry for not having the minors updates last week.

Brett Baty is destroying AAA as per usual. He hit 2 more HR's and is currently throwing up an OPS of 1.188. I added Wilkin Ramos to the minors list as he dominated AA and got promoted to AAA. He's probably our best RP prospect so someone to keep an eye on who can maybe help later this year or next. Some older guys doing well in AAA but older like Luke Ritter(.859) and Carlos Cortes(.878) might come up as bench. I'd have Ritter up over Gamel or Stewart but they didn't go in that direction obviously.

Some other promotions were Jesus Baez to Brooklyn and our highest Latin American bonus baby last IFA period Daiverson Gutierrez moving from DSL to the states and FCL. If I missed anything else I will update in the thread.

June 26 Mets Farm Report (Top 30 Prospects per MLB Pipeline)

AVG/OPS or E.R.A (W-L) (S)

1. Jett Williams SS/CF (AA Binghamton) - Injured
  2. Drew Gilbert OF (AAA Syracuse) - Injured
  3. Christian Scott RHP (AAA Syracuse) - DNP
  4. Ryan Clifford OF/1B (AA Binghamton) - PPD
  5. Luisangel Acuna SS/2B (AAA Syracuse) - 2/5, RBI, .275/.704
  6. Ronny Mauricio 2B/SS/OF (NY Mets) - Injured; Out for Season
  7. Colin Houck SS (Low A St. Lucie) - 1/4, RBI, .200/.609
  8. Marco Vargas INF (Low A St. Lucie) - Injured
  9. Kevin Parada C (AA Binghamton) - PPD
  10. Blade Tidwell RHP (AAA Syracuse) - DNP
  11. Mike Vasil RHP (AAA Syracuse) - 6.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 5 K, 0 HR, 6.52, W(3-4)
  12. Jeremy Rodriguez SS (Rookie FCL Mets) - 2/5, R, RBI, 2 K, .279/.741
  13. Brandon Sproat RHP (AA Binghamton) - PPD
  14. Dominic Hamel RHP (AAA Syracuse) - DNP
  15. Jacob Reimer 3B/1B (High A Brooklyn) - Injured
  16. Alex Ramirez OF (AA Binghamton) - PPD
  17. Yovanny Rodriguez C (DSL Mets Orange) - Off
  18. Tyler Stuart RHP (AA Binghamton) - PPD
  19. Nolan McLean RHP/DH (AA Binghamton) - PPD
  20. Jonah Tong RHP (High A Brooklyn) - 6.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 11 K, 0 HR, 3.38
  21. Ronald Hernandez C/1B (Low A St. Lucie) - 2/5, 3 K, .288/.769
  22. Jesus Baez SS/2B (High A Brooklyn) - 1/4, 2B(2), K, SB(1), .250/.750
  23. Calvin Ziegler RHP (High A Brooklyn) - Injured; TJS Out for Season
  24. Wilfredo Lara OF/3B (High A Brooklyn) - DNP
  25. Boston Baro SS/3B (Low A St. Lucie) - 2/5, K, .264/.764
  26. Nick Morabito OF (High A Brooklyn) - 1/4, K, .294/.754
  27. Raimon Gomez RHP (High A Brooklyn) - Injured
  28. Joander Suarez RHP (AA Binghamton) - PPD
  29. Saul Garcia RHP (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  30. Rhylan Thomas OF (AAA Syracuse) - 2/4, 2B(8), 3 R, .255/.769
Honorable Mention

• Wilkin Ramos RHP (AAA Syracuse) - DNP
  • Douglas Orellana (High A Brooklyn) - Injured
  • Kade Morris RHP (High A Brooklyn) - DNP
  • Christopher Suero C/IF/OF (High A Brooklyn) - DNP
  • Jeffry Rosa OF (Low A St. Lucie) - 0/4, 2 K, .153/.507
  • Jack Wenninger RHP (Low A St. Lucie) - 4.2 IP, 10 H, 6 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 7 K, 1 HR, 5.43, L(2-4)
  • Joel Diaz RHP (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  • Willy Fanas OF (Low A St. Lucie) - 2/4, 2B(4), R, 2 RBI, K, .200/.585
  • A.J. Ewing 2B/CF (Low A St. Lucie) - 0/3, R, BB, 3 K, .231/.714
  • Jake Zitella 1B/3B (Rookie FCL Mets) - 1/3, 3B(1), R, BB, .277/.768
  • Branny De Oleo SS/2B (Rookie FCL Mets) - 1/4, R, K, SB(3), .198/.553
  • Simon Juan OF (Rookie FCL Mets) - 0/3, BB, .281/.870
  • Daiverson Gutierrez C (Rookie FCL Mets) - DNP

Brett Baty is destroying AAA as per usual. He hit 2 more HR's and is currently throwing up an OPS of 1.188. I added Wilkin Ramos to the minors list as he dominated AA and got promoted to AAA. He's probably our best RP prospect so someone to keep an eye on who can maybe help later this year or next. Some older guys doing well in AAA but older like Luke Ritter(.859) and Carlos Cortes(.878) might come up as bench. I'd have Ritter up over Gamel or Stewart but they didn't go in that direction obviously.

Some other promotions were Jesus Baez to Brooklyn and our highest Latin American bonus baby last IFA period Daiverson Gutierrez moving from DSL to the states and FCL. If I missed anything else I will update in the thread.

11. Mike Vasil RHP (AAA Syracuse) - 6.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 5 K, 0 HR, 6.52, W(3-4)
  20. Jonah Tong RHP (High A Brooklyn) - 6.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 11 K, 0 HR, 3.38
Honorable Mention

• Jack Wenninger RHP (Low A St. Lucie) - 4.2 IP, 10 H, 6 R, 4 ER, 2 BB, 7 K, 1 HR, 5.43, L(2-4)
I'm afraid that Brett Baty will turn out to be our future Justin Turner. He's way too interesting a prospect to give up on.

I'm afraid that Brett Baty will turn out to be our future Justin Turner. He's way too interesting a prospect to give up on.
Turner was not really highly rated as a prospect as Baty. Mets should not give up on Baty as he might just need more time.

Last year I was banging the Vientos drum hard if you go back and look. His AAA numbers were too good not to think he couldn't do something similar at MLB level and his Statcast numbers backed it up with EV and such. He got his chance and now he's killing it. Now Baty hasn't shown the same Statcast stuff at MLB level yet and I don't know where he could fit in the lineup but he does need more run to see what he is. Maybe OF or 2B or back to 3B if Alonso walks and Vientos goes to 1B. These things will work themselves out though and could always be a trade piece for another pitcher.

Last edited:
Interesting topic of the prospects. Next year who do you promote, trade, move to another position, or keep in the minors?

Vientos
Baty
Mauricio
Jett Williams
Acuna

If you’re looking at 2nd base and 3rd base plus DH. (Potentially 1st base)

Honorable Mention

Clifford is solidly back on the interstate. He'd better work on his bat to ball skills.

Baty is still a prospect and, just like Vientos, may eventually produce in the majors (though we still need to see how Vientos does over a full season). Second base? I can't see it, but then again I am sure getting tired of watching McNeil. His weirdo act wears on you quickly when he's not hitting.

Interesting topic of the prospects. Next year who do you promote, trade, move to another position, or keep in the minors?

Vientos
Baty
Mauricio
Jett Williams
Acuna

Vientos at this point will be on MLB roster unless he tanks. Jett is no where near MLB ready and is basically having a lost year. He's more apt to be up in late 2025 or 2026. Acuna will be up at 2B maybe CF or a UTIL INF backup. Baty and Mauricio might fight a IF spot next year as well. Lot of time left though and one or two might even get dealt elsewhere and a backlog is good problem to have.

Clifford is solidly back on the interstate. He'd better work on his bat to ball skills.

Baty is still a prospect and, just like Vientos, may eventually produce in the majors (though we still need to see how Vientos does over a full season). Second base? I can't see it, but then again I am sure getting tired of watching McNeil. His weirdo act wears on you quickly when he's not hitting.

Clifford is so intriguing to me with that power. Agree on the contact skill but as I've been saying even if he hits .240/.250 that power and BB skill will play.

Baty technically not a prospect anymore based on MLB rules but still young enough to not give up on him totally. 2B is a bit of a shoe horn but they are giving him time there in AAA once a week or so I believe.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
Wanted this in a separate thread but Francisco Alvarez is already a boss. What a player we have here and still crazy to think he's only 22. If he didn't miss time with the hand injury he'd be up there with Will Smith and William Contreras as NL All Star C.

Alvarez is by far the best prospect the Mets have had in a while. There's nothing not to like about him (though he could start throwing out more runners). That said, he's hot. I'd like to see him do it in the long run before deciding that he's arrived. But I hope so.

Clifford's power is very good, but not earth shattering. Three outcome guys are less appealing these days. He needs to develop more rounded offensive skills. He's down to .179 in AAA. Ugh.

Vientos
Baty
Mauricio
Jett Williams
Acuna

It's a great problem to have. I think there's another fanbase that's green with envy, lol.

Wanted this in a separate thread but Francisco Alvarez is already a boss. What a player we have here and still crazy to think he's only 22. If he didn't miss time with the hand injury he'd be up there with Will Smith and William Contreras as NL All Star C.
I love the fact Alvarez interacts with the umps as you see both of them laughing and enjoying conversation. I even see it with opposing players. He's quickly being taken notice around the league. His strut, jog around the bases has an old school look about it to me, I can't explain it beyond that. He's a player that makes you sit up and watch his AB's. Not many others than of course, Judge, Soto and a hand full of others.

Reactions: Zak57
Disappointed with the SAL schedule this year.

Brooklyn is already done playing the BlueClaws down here.

So @Zak57 keep up the good work letting us know what’s in the pipeline.
I was hoping for one more as I didn't get to go to any of the previous ones. Sucks too because Binghamton only plays at Somerset once in August. You'd think they there would be at least 2 series home and away between these teams.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
I think the Mets infield next year is Vientos 1B, Lindor SS, with Acuna, Mauricio, and Baty battling for the other two positions. I don't think Stearns is committed to Alonso. I think Stearns is looking elsewhere for his 2025 starman - not looking far, just across the Harlem River.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT