ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

Brandon Sproat will be our Futures Game representative. He also was placed in the Pipeline top 100 at 98. We now have 6 top 100 prospects in that ranking.

31 Jett Williams
39 Christian Scott
40 Drew Gilbert
72 Ryan Clifford
93 Luisangel Acuna
98 Brandon Sproat
Baseball America also redid their Top 100 list. They also list six Mets, but not the same six.

22 Christian Scott
36 Jett Williams
64 Drew Gilbert
65 Ronny Mauricio
85 Blade Tidwell
86 Brandon Sproat

Scott is due to graduate after the All Star break.

mark wahlberg 90s GIF

💣💣💣💣

This team really needs to see if Senga can be Senga-,and what happens if Diaz can’t resign up- offense is insane at the moment some pitchers are doing their job well.
No idea what our real team is- but good to see 2 kids proving it at this time

I have a weird feeling Pete is about to go on one of those runs where you expect him to hit it out of the park every time.

Mendoza getting too cute for his own good.

Kept Scott in for 1 batter too long and yanked ottavino too quickly.

Diekman ain’t exactly Josh Hader or Chapman in his prime.

What's it gonna take before they realize that Diekman can't be relied upon in any tight, late game situations? He's straight trash. I know I know. He's on the team so he has to be used.
You answered your own question.

The impact of losing Brooks Raley cannot be overstated.

Weird game. Mets had six base runners and scored five of them. Only one LOB. You can win that way sometimes, but I don't recommend it.

Couple of quick notes. 3rd time blowing a lead of 5 or more runs. Tied for the most in MLB. I think the Mets hitters haven't drawn a walk in over 20 innings. Not gonna win every game against the Nats. Just need to get the W tomorrow. I stand corrected. Robert Garcia walked Nimmo in the 8th. But still other than the home runs they had only 2 other hits and a single walk. So not a lot of traffic on the basepaths.

Last edited:
Fujinami throws hard but stinks.

BMDO I think has thrown 5 innings coming off TJ. I don't think ERA matters much for him at this point.
Fujinami's pre-injury stats at Syracuse this year are insane - and not in a good way.

9 appearances, 7.2 innings, 7 hits (of which 1 was a HR), 9 K's. So far, not bad.

But did I mention 17 walks! Plus 2 HBP, that's 19 free passes in 7.2 innings! And just for shits and giggles, we'll throw in 4 wild pitches and a balk.

Fujinami's pre-injury stats at Syracuse this year are insane - and not in a good way.

9 appearances, 7.2 innings, 7 hits (of which 1 was a HR), 9 K's. So far, not bad.

But did I mention 17 walks! Plus 2 HBP, that's 19 free passes in 7.2 innings! And just for shits and giggles, we'll throw in 4 wild pitches and a balk.
Have they tried glasses?

• Love
Reactions: RUfinally2008
Houston will have played 96 games at the all-star break. 66 to go. That's 13 starts for Verlander, max. He has pitched 57 innings so far. He needs 83 more to invoke his 2024 option, for which the Mets are on the hook for $17.5M.

So... assuming he takes all 13 starts, he needs to average about 6 1/3 innings per start. Which nowadays is a lot.

If he misses even one start, leaving him with 12, he needs to average almost 7 innings per start. Which nobody does nowadays.

If he misses two starts it's pretty much done.

FWIW - He has 10 starts so far, averaging 5 2/3 innings per start.

Reactions: FrankZ
Mets release Trayce Thompson which I found a bit surprising, as I thought he was a valuable depth guy. Perhaps it was at his request?

Interesting factoid. Thompson had an OPS of .800, which sounds good, but it only translates to an OPS+ of 95, below the league average. I guess the International League is a hitter's paradise, and offensive stats must be taken with a grain of salt. Why that is, I do not know.

Need to start turning this month of July into another winner. 4 games against the good pitching Pirates starting with this rookie Skenes tonight after doing nothing against the Nats pitcher yesterday. Then its Nats again, Rockies and at the Marlins right after the break. Would be nice to get some games over .500 during this stretch rather than 1 game over, then back to even, one game under, back to even.

Good games from Clifford and Sproat yesterday for Bing.

July 4 Mets Farm Report (Top 30 Prospects per MLB Pipeline)

AVG/OPS or E.R.A (W-L) (S)

1. Jett Williams SS/CF (AA Binghamton) - Injured
  2. Christian Scott RHP (NY Mets) - DNP
  3. Drew Gilbert OF (AAA Syracuse) - Injured
  4. Ryan Clifford OF/1B (AA Binghamton) - 4/5, HR(10), 2B(10), R, 3 RBI, K, .213/.873
  5. Luisangel Acuna SS/2B (AAA Syracuse) - DNP
  6. Brandon Sproat RHP (AA Binghamton) - 6.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 9 K, 2 HR, 2.05, W(4-0)
  7. Ronny Mauricio 2B/SS/OF (NY Mets) - Injured; Out for Season
  8. Colin Houck SS (Low A St. Lucie) - 0/4, 4 K, .206/.626
  9. Marco Vargas INF (Low A St. Lucie) - 1/4, R, BB, K, .215/.613
  10. Kevin Parada C (AA Binghamton) - 1/4, RBI, BB, 2 K, .210/.660
  11. Blade Tidwell RHP (AAA Syracuse) - DNP
  12. Mike Vasil RHP (AAA Syracuse) - DNP
  13. Jeremy Rodriguez SS (Rookie FCL Mets) - 2/5, .278/.735
  14. Dominic Hamel RHP (AAA Syracuse) - DNP
  15. Jacob Reimer 3B/1B (High A Brooklyn) - Injured
  16. Alex Ramirez OF (AA Binghamton) - 1/5, 2B(16), R, RBI, SB, .243/.676
  17. Yovanny Rodriguez C (DSL Mets Orange) -
  18. Tyler Stuart RHP (AA Binghamton) - DNP
  19. Nolan McLean RHP/DH (AA Binghamton) - DNP
  20. Jonah Tong RHP (High A Brooklyn) - DNP
  21. Ronald Hernandez C/1B (Low A St. Lucie) - 0/0, BB, .281/.753
  22. Jesus Baez SS/2B (High A Brooklyn) - DNP
  23. Calvin Ziegler RHP (High A Brooklyn) - Injured; TJS Out for Season
  24. Wilfredo Lara OF/3B (High A Brooklyn) - 2/3, K, .231/.683
  25. Boston Baro SS/3B (Low A St. Lucie) - 1/3, 2B(10), 2 R, 2 BB, .260/.741
  26. Nick Morabito OF (High A Brooklyn) - 0/4, .282/.722
  27. Raimon Gomez RHP (High A Brooklyn) - Injured
  28. Joander Suarez RHP (AA Binghamton) - DNP
  29. Saul Garcia RHP (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  30. Rhylan Thomas OF (AAA Syracuse) - 0/5, K, .234/.700
Honorable Mention

• Wilkin Ramos RHP (AAA Syracuse) - DNP
  • Douglas Orellana (High A Brooklyn) - Injured
  • Kade Morris RHP (High A Brooklyn) - DNP
  • Christopher Suero C/IF/OF (High A Brooklyn) - 0/3, BB, .199/.645
  • Jack Wenninger RHP (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  • Joel Diaz RHP (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  • Willy Fanas OF (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  • A.J. Ewing 2B/CF (Low A St. Lucie) - 0/2, 2 BB, .211/.651
  • Jake Zitella 1B/3B (Rookie FCL Mets) - 0/3, R, K, .246/.711
  • Branny De Oleo SS/2B (Rookie FCL Mets) - DNP
  • Simon Juan OF (Rookie FCL Mets) - 1/3, R, .267/.810
  • Daiverson Gutierrez C (Rookie FCL Mets) - 0/3, RBI, BB, .214/.746
  • Jeffry Rosa OF (Rookie FCL Mets) - 1/3, BB, K, .188/.725

Nice to see Clifford have a strong game. I hope it leads to more consistency.

And another strong outing by Sproat. I've liked him since his appearance in the spring breakout game. He appears to have nasty stuff and good command.

If the Mets bullpen ills continue, they might want to consider using in the bullpen some of the young, productive arms that are not quite ready for season-long starter roles. Use them for longer stints out of the bullpen, much like what they have been doing with Nunez and may do with Butto. Scott and Sproat could be candidates. The Mets could keep their innings down while using their talents out of the pen, where they may be needed. For years, teams would put young starters in the bullpen. The Mets, for example, gave a young Nolan Ryan starts and bullpen work in his first few years. And he was nasty out of the pen in the '69 Series.

Last edited:
I think it's about time they try Hamel and Vasil in the pen to see if they look better there. Stuff might play up better in shorter stints. Their AAA numbers as starters leave a lot to be desired and they are supposed to both have some nice secondary pitches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT