ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

From today's paywalled story in The Athletic on Nimmo (had something like this happen to me once when in my 30's, and it never happened again):

"Nimmo said that doctors told him that what most likely happened was that the cramp spiked his blood pressure and got his heart rate up quickly. He also had a tingling in his hands and felt hot just before fainting.

“I asked them if there was anything I could do to prevent this from happening again, and they said, no — sometimes a perfect storm happens,” Nimmo said. “From what I understood, your brain, when you go back and your blood pressure drops, your brain just loses the blood for one second, and you’re out.” "

anne hathaway dat ass GIF

Interesting factoid from Gary. The Mets have now played 13 extra inning games. In the first 11, they have scored nine extra inning runs. In the last two, they have scored eleven.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
Just give him 30 mil for 7 and get it over with
Why would Cohen do that? No one else will.

Freddie Freeman got $162M for 6, AAV $27M.

Matt Olson got $168M for 8. AAV $21M.

Paul Goldschmidt got $130M for 5. AAV $26M.

Those are your comparables. First base is not a premium position. Slugging 1B's don't get SS money. They just don't.

That said, if anybody can get Alonso what you suggest, it's Boras. He will wait the market out if necessary. Sometimes that works. Sometimes it doesn't.

I see JD Martinez as a future big league manager. It's obvious that players gravitate to him and he has a way to pass on knowledge. The key is, has he made enough money to just ride off into the sunset or will his love of the game keep him in the game.

Last edited:
July 2 Mets Farm Report (Top 30 Prospects per MLB Pipeline)

AVG/OPS or E.R.A (W-L) (S)

1. Jett Williams SS/CF (AA Binghamton) - Injured
  2. Christian Scott RHP (NY Mets) - DNP
  3. Drew Gilbert OF (AAA Syracuse) - Injured
  4. Ryan Clifford OF/1B (AA Binghamton) - 1/4, RBI, BB, K, .183/.812
  5. Luisangel Acuna SS/2B (AAA Syracuse) - 2/4, R, SB(27), .270/.700
  6. Brandon Sproat RHP (AA Binghamton) - DNP
  7. Ronny Mauricio 2B/SS/OF (NY Mets) - Injured; Out for Season
  8. Colin Houck SS (Low A St. Lucie) - 2/3, R, RBI, BB, .211/.640
  9. Marco Vargas INF (Low A St. Lucie) - 0/5, 2 K, .213/.611
  10. Kevin Parada C (AA Binghamton) - 1/5, 2B(12), 3 K, .208/.645
  11. Blade Tidwell RHP (AAA Syracuse) - DNP
  12. Mike Vasil RHP (AAA Syracuse) - DNP
  13. Jeremy Rodriguez SS (Rookie FCL Mets) - 2/4, R, K, .275/.733
  14. Dominic Hamel RHP (AAA Syracuse) - 4.2 IP, 7 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 4 BB, 5 K, 3 HR, 7.11, L(2-5)
  15. Jacob Reimer 3B/1B (High A Brooklyn) - Injured
  16. Alex Ramirez OF (AA Binghamton) - 3/4, 2B(15), 3 RBI, BB, .248/.689
  17. Yovanny Rodriguez C (DSL Mets Orange) -
  18. Tyler Stuart RHP (AA Binghamton) - DNP
  19. Nolan McLean RHP/DH (AA Binghamton) - DNP
  20. Jonah Tong RHP (High A Brooklyn) - 5.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 7 K, 0 HR, 3.02, W(3-1)
  21. Ronald Hernandez C/1B (Low A St. Lucie) - 1/4, 2 K, .286/.762
  22. Jesus Baez SS/2B (High A Brooklyn) - 1/4, 2 RBI, .250/.705
  23. Calvin Ziegler RHP (High A Brooklyn) - Injured; TJS Out for Season
  24. Wilfredo Lara OF/3B (High A Brooklyn) - 1/3, BB, K, .220/.649
  25. Boston Baro SS/3B (Low A St. Lucie) - 1/3, RBI, BB, K, .259/.730
  26. Nick Morabito OF (High A Brooklyn) - 1/4, RBI, BB, K, .289/.743
  27. Raimon Gomez RHP (High A Brooklyn) - Injured
  28. Joander Suarez RHP (AA Binghamton) - 3.2 IP, 9 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 2 BB, 4 K, 0 HR, 4.78
  29. Saul Garcia RHP (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  30. Rhylan Thomas OF (AAA Syracuse) - 2/4, 2B(9), .242/.725
Honorable Mention

• Wilkin Ramos RHP (AAA Syracuse) - DNP
  • Douglas Orellana (High A Brooklyn) - Injured
  • Kade Morris RHP (High A Brooklyn) - DNP
  • Christopher Suero C/IF/OF (High A Brooklyn) - DNP
  • Jack Wenninger RHP (Low A St. Lucie) - 7.0 IP, 7 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 5 K, 0 HR, 5.02, W(3-4)
  • Joel Diaz RHP (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  • Willy Fanas OF (Low A St. Lucie) - 0/3, BB, 3 K, .200/.580
  • A.J. Ewing 2B/CF (Low A St. Lucie) - 1/2, R, 2 BB, K, .226/.684
  • Jake Zitella 1B/3B (Rookie FCL Mets) - 0/4, K, .252/.722
  • Branny De Oleo SS/2B (Rookie FCL Mets) - 2/3, 3B(1), BB, SB(4), .203/.576
  • Simon Juan OF (Rookie FCL Mets) - 1/4, RBI, .266/.809
  • Daiverson Gutierrez C (Rookie FCL Mets) - 1/4, 2B(2), .273/.884
  • Jeffry Rosa OF (Rookie FCL Mets) - 0/4, K, .154/.698

Fujinami throws hard but stinks.

BMDO I think has thrown 5 innings coming off TJ. I don't think ERA matters much for him at this point.
To give further context (which I presume you already knew), his lifetime ERA in the minor leagues is over 4, and he’s 28 years old.

To give further context (which I presume you already knew), his lifetime ERA in the minor leagues is over 4, and he’s 28 years old.
He throws hard and has less than a 4.00 ERA in AA/AAA. It's over 4 because of his first season in the minors in high A. I have no idea if he'll help or not but I know he's got a live arm and that is better than the Tyler Jay's of the world.

This has been a crazy see-saw season. At this point, it's amazing to me that McNeil gets any playing time at all. Replacing Baty, McNeil, and Vogelfat with Vientos, Iglesias, and Martinez is working out quite well. Let's hope the guys in the lineup can stay healthy. Keep Bader away from fences and Nimmo from hotel rooms.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
He throws hard and has less than a 4.00 ERA in AA/AAA. It's over 4 because of his first season in the minors in high A. I have no idea if he'll help or not but I know he's got a live arm and that is better than the Tyler Jay's of the world.
Yes, so of his two seasons, you eliminated one and declared him better than Tyler Jay.

But, of course, if you cherry pick Jay's first two seasons and also this year in AAA (where Montes de Oca has never been), he performed each year and in each place better than de Oca ever has.

Or you could just look at Jay's career minor league ERA, which is over a half run lower then Montes de Oca's.

Or you could look at their career WHIPs, which is lower for Jay. Montes de Oca walks the ballpark (boy that would be a fun add to this staff).

But Montes de Oca throws hard and some guy named Mike Mayer focused on Montes de Oca's two most recent outings of 1 inning, called them "perfect," and conveniently left out the immediately preceding outing (from just a few days earlier) in which Montes de Oca gave up 3 hits, 2 runs, a home run and a walk in just 1/3 of an inning.

These guys on the internet who have just enough expertise to tweet . . . .

Reactions: LeapinLou
I have no clue what Mayer said recently about him.

I was looking at the largest full year sample before his TJS. Tyler Jay also went 3 years not pitching professionally but yes he was doing well in AAA this year sure. I am comfortable saying BMDO will do better professionally from this point forward than Tyler Jay. No one said you have to agree. BMDO has big time stuff and Tyler Jay does not which factors into it. Whether either really helps the major league bullpen I've already said I have no clue.

Odd, since you copied my post that copied Mayer's tweet, posted earlier on this page.

I'll one up you, though. I have no idea who he is. Let's just say he's had an inauspicious debut in my world.
I didn't read the tweet in as far as he has always been a name that was supposed to help the major league bullpen at some point before the TJS. Now that he's back he's once again someone to watch, that's all.

Mayer is a credentialed Mets writer who does work for a Mets website. I don't read the website but do follow him on Twitter/X.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT