ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

I agree that, absent some quick downward spiral, the Mets won't be trading starters for meaningful prospects (or any prospects).

They may, however, give up prospects for relievers. I'm not sure what else they have. I'd prefer, though, that they instead try pitchers in their system, particularly the good ones--e.g., try Sproat in the bullpen. Years ago, that wouldn't even have been a controversial idea.
Terrible idea. You don't take arguably your best starting pitching prospect and try to force him into a new role mid-season at the major league level. Particularly when he's still developing.

Every time Vientos goes a few games without getting a x hit I start thinking this is where he goes into a funk and goes like 4 for his next 35. But then he comes roaring back. Wish he had been up all year.
Vientos should have been up 2 years ago to get consistent AB's. I was calling for it for what feels like years already. Glad he finally got his real opportunity and is doing the most with it.

Vientos should have been up 2 years ago to get consistent AB's. I was calling for it for what feels like years already. Glad he finally got his real opportunity and is doing the most with it.
He had 218 AB's last year and batter .218. 36 AB's the year before that and batted .167.

Not much there to suggest he should have gotten more AB's.

As mentioned already Clifford with a monster game. Don't forget how young he is relative to the league as well. What he's doing is really impressive even without the BA being where you want it at this point.

Jonah Tong also continues to impress. Squarely in our first tier of pitching prospects at this point with the highest or close to upside if it fully develops. His FB has late shape and his extension helps in that regard aren't picking it up until late even though it's not 98+.

July 10 Mets Farm Report (Top 30 Prospects per MLB Pipeline)

AVG/OPS or E.R.A (W-L) (S)

1. Jett Williams SS/CF (AA Binghamton) - Injured
  2. Christian Scott RHP (NY Mets) - DNP
  3. Drew Gilbert OF (AAA Syracuse) - Injured
  4. Ryan Clifford OF/1B (AA Binghamton) - 3/5, 2 HR(12), 2B(12), 2 R, 6 RBI, .230/.923
  5. Luisangel Acuna SS/2B (AAA Syracuse) - PPD
  6. Brandon Sproat RHP (AA Binghamton) - DNP
  7. Ronny Mauricio 2B/SS/OF (NY Mets) - Injured; Out for Season
  8. Colin Houck SS (Low A St. Lucie) - 1/4, 2 K, .211/.626
  9. Marco Vargas INF (Low A St. Lucie) - Injured
  10. Kevin Parada C (AA Binghamton) - 2/5, 2 K, .211/.651
  11. Blade Tidwell RHP (AAA Syracuse) - PPD
  12. Mike Vasil RHP (AAA Syracuse) - PPD
  13. Jeremy Rodriguez SS (Rookie FCL Mets) - Off
  14. Dominic Hamel RHP (AAA Syracuse) - PPD
  15. Jacob Reimer 3B/1B (High A Brooklyn) - Off
  16. Alex Ramirez OF (AA Binghamton) - 3/5, HR(4), 3 R, RBI, K, SB(28), .239/.678
  17. Yovanny Rodriguez C (DSL Mets Orange) - Off
  18. Tyler Stuart RHP (AA Binghamton) - DNP
  19. Nolan McLean RHP/DH (AA Binghamton) - DNP
  20. Jonah Tong RHP (High A Brooklyn) - 6.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 7 K, 0 HR, 2.85, L(3-2)
  21. Ronald Hernandez C/1B (Low A St. Lucie) - 2/4, R, K, .281/.747
  22. Jesus Baez SS/2B (High A Brooklyn) - Injured
  23. Calvin Ziegler RHP (High A Brooklyn) - Injured; TJS Out for Season
  24. Wilfredo Lara OF/3B (High A Brooklyn) - 1/5, 2B(7), 2 K, .233/.686
  25. Boston Baro SS/3B (Low A St. Lucie) - 1/5, K, .256/.725
  26. Nick Morabito OF (High A Brooklyn) - 1/5, K, .280/.718
  27. Raimon Gomez RHP (High A Brooklyn) - Injured
  28. Joander Suarez RHP (AA Binghamton) - 5.0 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 7 K, 0 HR, 4.71
  29. Saul Garcia RHP (Low A St. Lucie) - 4.0 IP, 5 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 1 BB, 6 K, 1 HR, 6.58
  30. Rhylan Thomas OF (AAA Syracuse) - PPD
Honorable Mention

• Wilkin Ramos RHP (AAA Syracuse) - PPD
  • Douglas Orellana (High A Brooklyn) - Injured
  • Kade Morris RHP (High A Brooklyn) - DNP
  • Jack Wenninger RHP (High A Brooklyn) - DNP
  • Joel Diaz RHP (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  • Willy Fanas OF (Low A St. Lucie) - DNP
  • A.J. Ewing 2B/CF (Low A St. Lucie) - 1/3, BB, K, .212/.650
  • Jake Zitella 1B/3B (Rookie FCL Mets) - Off
  • Branny De Oleo SS/2B (Rookie FCL Mets) - Off
  • Simon Juan OF (Rookie FCL Mets) - Off
  • Daiverson Gutierrez C (Rookie FCL Mets) - Off
  • Jeffry Rosa OF (Rookie FCL Mets) - Off

He had 218 AB's last year and batter .218. 36 AB's the year before that and batted .167.

Not much there to suggest he should have gotten more AB's.
Considering his numbers in AAA and his Statcast numbers in the majors he should have had more time. 218 ABs is nothing and the team stunk last year. He was consistently hitting the ball hard which leads to good things. Now he has also made some adjustments this season but the pieces were always there. As I said earlier glad he's doing well this time around.

Considering his numbers in AAA and his Statcast numbers in the majors he should have had more time. 218 ABs is nothing and the team stunk last year. He was consistently hitting the ball hard which leads to good things. Now he has also made some adjustments this season but the pieces were always there. As I said earlier glad he's doing well this time around.
Ya his Syracuse numbers were excellent, and I'll take your word for it on Statcast.

I can see the argument though for not having a young player struggle at the MLB level.

End of the day, given the uptick in numbers yoy I'd say the Mets have handled him pretty well.

Reactions: Zak57
The Mets could really help the Phillies totally blow out this race by taking 3 of 4 from the Braves at Citi a few weeks hence.Currently,the Braves are 3.5 games closer to the Mets than they are to the Phillies.
LET'S GO METS-JULY 25-28.

I think the ASB should help the pen a lot. With the Diaz stuff and starters not going long Mendoza had to throw these guys into the deep end way too much, especially Garrett. Once we get out of the break the pen should have some rest and Mendoza can go back to having some more clearly defined roles which hopefully helps. Diaz 9th, Nunez 8th, Maton Garrett Butto middle relief and can see if Otto and Diekman bounce back. Houser and Orze in long relief/clean-up.

Asked earlier in the thread. What/who is "the ASB?"

At what position does Clifford see most of his playing time? I see he's listed as a OF/1B. Guess the DH is also a possibility at the major league level down the line.
He's played 4 positions this year but the most at 1B. Between both levels 35 games at 1B, 24 games at RF, 19 at LF, and 2 at DH.

Plus an article with some quotes from last night.

Reactions: RUforJERSEY
But if you listen to him, it was his off season training to lay off pitches out of the strike zone and a change to his approach on two strikes that made the difference. The kid had 250 ABs in the majors the last two year and hit around .200. He got a lot of ABs, he just didn't hit.

The Mets approach was correct here and consistent with the way young players have been handled for years.

One thing I will say is that Vientos's power always looked easier and greater than Baty's to me, yet the Mets were giving Baty more ABs. That I didn't get.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
I think the ASB should help the pen a lot. With the Diaz stuff and starters not going long Mendoza had to throw these guys into the deep end way too much, especially Garrett. Once we get out of the break the pen should have some rest and Mendoza can go back to having some more clearly defined roles which hopefully helps. Diaz 9th, Nunez 8th, Maton Garrett Butto middle relief and can see if Otto and Diekman bounce back. Houser and Orze in long relief/clean-up.

Oh OK, that makes sense, but does anyone know what MLB stands for?
I don't know if you were with me on being WTF (that means What the Fruitloop?) ASB was referring to me, or you are mocking me with MLB, which I thought referred to Martin Luther Bling.

But in the context of what @Zak57 (who is an awesome poster--and sorry I missed your answer- there were a lot of posts yesterday, and I did not see your reply) posted, I had no freaking clue. ASB was always associated with the Administrative Services Building on Busch. It seemed ASB was referring to a player. But in my defense, I have a mental block with acronyms and their overuse.

TL;DR- I need to up my acronym game.

Reactions: RU-05 and Zak57
But there's no all-star break after the all-star break. Any help will only be temporary. Two or three weeks afterward, the all-star break and the rest will be a distant memory.

And the Mets are signaling that they will go to a six man rotation. If so, and if the bigger rotation does not result in starters on average going deeper into games, that could create more stress on the bullpen arms (unless, of course, they expand the pitching staff).

In short, I don't think rest is the problem with the bullpen. For the most part, it's just been injuries and Diaz not pitching as well as he has in the past.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Since the pen was so limited and our starters failed to give much length I think we absolutely were over throwing the good arms too much. I don't think the break is a panacea but it wouldn't surprise me to see them come out and do a lot better out of the gate than they were during the Diaz suspension. Yes that could be temporary but if some more arms develop and we get maybe one more at the trade deadline then it will be helpful. I also posted that before the Garrett injury which is a negative. Let's see if Maton, Butto, and some others get in and then pen settles a bit.

That's not to say our pen is going to be great. Need to be a bit more average. They walk too many guys but we knew that coming into the year especially with someone like Diekman.

Reactions: willisneverrana43
Do you really think the break will help the BP? No matter how much lipstick you put on them, a bum is a bum. Mendoza doesn't help the situation when he continues to put starters out of the game in the 4th or 5th inning regardless of pitching success or lack of. Mendoza is too stuck on analytics/organizational (geeks) making decisions for him. Sometimes, you have to read the room and not always rely on some computer printout.

Reactions: Foads and RAHWAYBOB
Yes I think the pen will be better the second half of the year between some of the call ups like Butto getting a chance there, new additions like Maton and a possible trade, and guys settling into their roles more. Diaz had to find himself as well after not pitching for a full year when he had all those blow ups early.

Yes I think the pen will be better the second half of the year between some of the call ups like Butto getting a chance there, new additions like Maton and a possible trade, and guys settling into their roles more. Diaz had to find himself as well after not pitching for a full year when he had all those blow ups early.
In theory you are right, but you have to factor in Mendoza. He can take a wet dream and F it up. Peterson pitched 6 strong innings. You would think and easy game for the pen, but somehow the Mets have used 4 pitchers to cover 3 innings. That is stressful on any BP.

In theory you are right, but you have to factor in Mendoza. He can take a wet dream and F it up. Peterson pitched 6 strong innings. You would think and easy game for the pen, but somehow the Mets have used 4 pitchers to cover 3 innings. That is stressful on any BP.
You can't put it on the manager if the guys they bring in with a comfortable lead come in and start walking and hitting batters. Do your job. Nunez had to come in and bail Young out today rather than being able to chill. And then Ottavino came in and got himself into a bit of a pickle before ultimately getting it done. If he had given up a hit or two once the bases were loaded they would have had to rush Diaz into the game. Outside of occasionally questioning when to pull or not to pull some pitchers I have no problem with the job Mendoza is doing right now.

Well done team. Now lets do the job on the Rocks that we did on Washington and head into the break 5 games over .500 Continue to bolster that home record where they are still a game under for the season.

Reactions: FrankZ
Robin Williams Dancing GIF by STARZ

Reactions: Knight Shift
I agree with your overall gripe, but not with sticking it on Mendoza. This is a league wide philosophy.

Edit: Met's starters have thrown the 13th most innings this season. Their bull pen has thrown the 16th most. So yeah, not a Mets specific issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: BLewis1968
All very hopeful. Most of the league doesn’t hit like the Nats.

By the way, when did Diaz find himself?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT