ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2024 NY Mets Season Thread

A a statistical oddity: Mets are at .500 (45-45) with a run differential of exactly zero. They have scored 433 and allowed 433.

This suggests that the Mets are neither underachieving nor overachieving. They are what their record says they are - a middling team. Not bad enough to justify a full selloff. Not good enough to justify an all-in buying spree.

My guess is that they might do a bit of both. Sell a veteran starter, buy a high end reliever. And hopefully make an incremental improvement to their farm system with the arbitrage.
If they are within a game or two of the wildcard at the deadline, I don't know how you face your players if you start selling off.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
Schedule before and after the trade deadline until September. They should be a few games over .500 going into that Braves series. After the deadline there is a lot of winnable games as well on the schedule.

2 more vs Washington
3 vs Colorado
ASB
4 @ Miami
2 @ NYY
4 vs Atlanta
3 vs Minny
Trade Deadline
3 @ LAA
1 @ STL (Make-Up)
3 @ Colorado
3 @ Seattle
3 vs Oakland
3 vs Miami
3 vs Baltimore
4 @ SD
3 @ Arizona
3 @ White Sox

September it gets a bit tough again.
I'm hesitant to put too much stock into the schedule thing after what happened like 2-3 years ago. The year when all the talk was about the soft schedule in September would allow us to do some real damage and really make a run to a wild card. Only to then get beat up on by the so-called dregs of the league.

If they are within a game or two of the wildcard at the deadline, I don't know how you face your players if you start selling off.
Right. And if you pay prospects or viable players for a high-end reliever but then also sell off a starter for prospects what have you gained for this year, other than a massive PR problem. It would suggest a front office that doesn't know what it's doing or can't make up its mind. That doesn't seem like Stearns to me.

Reactions: rubaseball78
Right. And if you pay prospects or viable players for a high-end reliever but then also sell off a starter for prospects what have you gained for this year, other than a massive PR problem. It would suggest a front office that doesn't know what it's doing or can't make up its mind. That doesn't seem like Stearns to me.
You would have achieved better balance.

Perhaps in trading a starter you also net a positive in terms of prospects.

You would have achieved better balance. . . .
Would you? If you look at a season as innings, starters pitch more innings than relievers. So how have you done anything but gotten worse and more pitching needy.

Put another way, the team has one pitching staff, and it will throw so many innings. If you trade away 80 of your best innings in return for 30 or 40 good innings, what you've done is create a hole. And no amount of talk or reasoning will suddenly make those 30 or 40 innings more important than the 80.

Would you? If you look at a season as innings, starters pitch more innings than relievers. So how have you done anything but gotten worse and more pitching needy.

Put another way, the team has one pitching staff, and it will throw so many innings. If you trade away 80 of your best innings in return for 30 or 40 good innings, what you've done is create a hole. And no amount of talk or reasoning will suddenly make those 30 or 40 innings more important than the 80.
That's a very in general statement though that ignores that the Mets have, especially if and when Senga is back, numbers at starting pitching and a very poor bullpen.

That's a very in general statement though that ignores that the Mets have, especially if and when Senga is back, numbers at starting pitching and a very poor bullpen.
No, it's a very specific statement. If you in essence swap a starter for a reliever, you will be trading more innings away than you're getting.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Reed Garrett to the IL with elbow inflammation. Maton activated. Young up. Orze down.

No, it's a very specific statement. If you in essence swap a starter for a reliever, you will be trading more innings away than you're getting.
if you have starters in house you are not trading away innings.

You are trading a guy who could throw those innings but may not due to already having guys who could also throw those innings.

if you have starters in house you are not trading away innings.

You are trading a guy who could throw those innings but may not due to already having guys who could also throw those innings.
I think you've walked yourself into a fantasy world in which the Mets would be trading a starter who can't even make their rotation for meaningful prospects.

You don’t trade quality starters even up for RP’s, even if you are out of it. Quint/Seve/Manea have all been above average. Even if selling, you would need something good coming back.

I think you've walked yourself into a fantasy world in which the Mets would be trading a starter who can't even make their rotation for meaningful prospects.
I'm not expecting meaningful prospects, but I'm also not expecting to trade meaningful prospects for a middle reliever.

Nimmo and Lindor not making the all star team continues to be a joke. Walker should have made it over Alonso.

Used to love the ASG - washed my hands after the ‘06 ruining of Wright (and likely subsequent ring).

I'm not expecting meaningful prospects, but I'm also not expecting to trade meaningful prospects for a middle reliever.
I agree that, absent some quick downward spiral, the Mets won't be trading starters for meaningful prospects (or any prospects).

They may, however, give up prospects for relievers. I'm not sure what else they have. I'd prefer, though, that they instead try pitchers in their system, particularly the good ones--e.g., try Sproat in the bullpen. Years ago, that wouldn't even have been a controversial idea.

I agree that, absent some quick downward spiral, the Mets won't be trading starters for meaningful prospects. That, though, is one of several reasons that they won't be trading starting pitching.

They may, however, give up prospects for relievers. I'm not sure what else they have. I'd prefer, though, that they try pitchers in their system, particularly the good ones. Even if they are not relievers. I've mentioned Sproat.
Does Butto stay in the pen?

So- I think Vientos and Alvarez are future big time stars- we are locked in with Nimmo and Lindor- with these 4- you lock in a future HOF 1B, which does not even put us anywhere near the top salary with everyone coming off contract next year.
Alvarez/Vientos may be our next Wright/Reyes combo

• Love
Reactions: Rutgers NJ
So- I think Vientos and Alvarez are future big time stars- we are locked in with Nimmo and Lindor- with these 4- you lock in a future HOF 1B, which does not even put us anywhere near the top salary with everyone coming off contract next year.
Alvarez/Vientos may be our next Wright/Reyes combo
Sounds good, but what future HOF 1B is available? ;)

punch GIF

Bluto!

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
Butto is the eighth Met pitcher to record a save this year. That is unusual to say the least. Speaks to the unsettled nature of the bullpen by committee.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT